Author Topic: Speed awareness  (Read 3931 times)

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
Speed awareness
« on: 03 July 2015, 08:47 »
Currently sat in a cheap hotel without air conditioning for my first speed awareness course.....anyone done one of these? It hasn't started and I'm already bored
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Speed awareness
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2015, 08:50 »
Hope you aren't insured by Admiral then...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2015, 08:51 »
Currently sat in a cheap hotel without air conditioning for my first speed awareness course.....anyone done one of these? It hasn't started and I'm already bored

No, I never speed  :lipsrsealed:

Been driving your R enthusiastically  :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2015, 15:21 »
Never done one - Been caught once, by a mobile unit and at 46mph in a 30 zone (that used to be a 50 zone), I was too far past redemption via speed awareness course.

Some might argue that the faster you were going over the speed limit, the more you need the speed awareness course.  :tongue:
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline remlapeel

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2015, 22:37 »
Annoyingly this is a remnant of my GTI days. 47 in a 40 on a dual carriage way, that 100 yards up the road is a 70mph.

Ah well, the course was crap, literally learnt one thing. Loads of the older generation seemed to learn a lot. (55 plus mainly ). And they say it's the young ones that like to speed!
2015 MK7 Golf R 3 door, DSG, lapiz blue, 19" wheels, winter pack, keyless entry, dynaudio and high beam assist.

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2015, 19:49 »
Annoyingly this is a remnant of my GTI days. 47 in a 40 on a dual carriage way, that 100 yards up the road is a 70mph.

Ah well, the course was crap, literally learnt one thing. Loads of the older generation seemed to learn a lot. (55 plus mainly ). And they say it's the young ones that like to speed!

That's rough.  Compared to the criminals I see on a regular basis.  Only about an hour ago I was overtaken in a 40 zone on the A30 by an A6, he was doing about 70, on the chevrons just before a centre island in the road.  If I was going any faster he would have ploughed into it.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2015, 12:38 »
I went on one a few years ago and know two people going on them this week

Mine was predominately women who had been nicked on the school run, i think i did mine a few days after coming back from Germany so had admitted driving at 165mph on a motorway  :grin:

Bits I found useful were the rural A and B roads and added spotting of danger, this area has had biggest impact and also reiterating the space between vehciles in order to have time to react, all be it the gap is often taken up by others who see this as an opportunity

The 30mph was laid on a bit thick for the school run brigade who were the most hypocritical of the lot

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2015, 13:35 »

Mine was predominately women who had been nicked on the school run, i think i did mine a few days after coming back from Germany so had admitted driving at 165mph on a motorway  :grin:

Bits I found useful were the rural A and B roads and added spotting of danger, this area has had biggest impact and also reiterating the space between vehciles in order to have time to react, all be it the gap is often taken up by others who see this as an opportunity

The 30mph was laid on a bit thick for the school run brigade who were the most hypocritical of the lot

You are joking? Surely 165mph is an automatic ban?

VW BUSH

« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2015, 13:36 »
Not in Germany

Offline GTI_Ant

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2015, 21:06 »

Most of the school run brigade are running hideous 2 ton diesel Chelsea tractors that are coating the kids lungs with soot.  They would be the first to complain if they saw these abominations tearing through their neighbourhood at 40mph.
GTi Clubsport DCC winter pack rear camera
Previous:
7.5R 3dr DSG DPB Prets Dynaudio
MK7 GTI PP Tungsten Silver Manual Nav Dynaudio Winter Pack Park Assist