Author Topic: 18 yrs old in a 1.3 mk2 why is it expensive!  (Read 1692 times)

Offline bigman_10

• Here all the time
18 yrs old in a 1.3 mk2 why is it expensive!
« on: 19 February 2008, 14:02 »
hey the bank is really hurting now, i forgot this section was on here and i took out insurance in january for my second year at £931 with 320 excess plus young persons excess of £200. i have 1 year no claims and slammed my mum and dad on the policy to reduce it  and it is fully comp. surley i can do better? i've just read some other peoples of a similar age and they are in 1.6's and 1.8 mk3s and although they are 3rd party they seem cheaper, surley i could be getting it cheaper???

Any help apprectiaed as i'm now paniking thinking i need to get my money back and redo the insurance. I'm with norwich union, and i checked the price comparison sites and bell quoted cheaper but when i went on there site it was 2 grand or something rediculous.

cheers chris!

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
Re: 18 yrs old in a 1.3 mk2 why is it expensive!
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2008, 14:14 »
try www.elephant.co.uk (i found them cheap when i was 18 trying to insure an XR2i, group 14 ouch!)

fully comp will be expensive at your age, your car probably isnt worth 900 odd quid so go for 3rd party fire and theft.

also play around with the job type options as this can have an effect on you premium.

i.e. i found "sales executive" a touch cheaper than "salesman (non travelling)"

hope that helps

I don't think a semi will give the same results

Offline bigman_10

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2008, 14:29 »
yh i tried a few comparison sites and elephant is good but 5th gear did a survey of comparison sites and said moneysupermarket used the best servers or something and i've generally found this. thats a good point about fully comp though i think the only reason i went for that is because it was 30 quid more than 3rd party! probably because the cars worth 300 quid max.  do you rekon 931 is a bit much then?

Offline cняis

• I live here
  • Know there's something burning over there...
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2008, 14:40 »
yh i tried a few comparison sites and elephant is good but 5th gear did a survey of comparison sites and said moneysupermarket used the best servers or something and i've generally found this. thats a good point about fully comp though i think the only reason i went for that is because it was 30 quid more than 3rd party! probably because the cars worth 300 quid max.  do you rekon 931 is a bit much then?

difficult to say as at 18 i had an xr2i in group 14, that was 1200 quid t.p.f.t. with one years no claims.

£30 isnt much of a difference, usually its much more!

the current car is £354 t.p.f.t and thats an 8v gti, modified suspension, exhaust & wheels... but now im 23! with 6 years no claims!
« Last Edit: 19 February 2008, 14:42 by Crevice »

I don't think a semi will give the same results