Author Topic: ABT tuning for Golf ?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Cardy

• Not said much yet
ABT tuning for Golf ?
« on: 01 January 2019, 10:44 »
I’m a ford man but will hopefully to switching to either CS or CSS this year I use mountune for my ford tuning so wanted to ask if anyone has used ABT to tune their CS or CSS?

I’m getting the lingo now CS lol

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: ABT tuning for Golf ?
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2019, 16:01 »
Despite ABT having more or less factory warranties in the fatherland they’re quite a marginal player in the UK, although respected by VW traditionalists they’re ignored by the wider market.

We’ve often bemoaned the fact VW UK have never had an equivalent to Mountune.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Cardy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2019, 19:49 »
I kinda guessed ABT we’re not well thought of by lack of replies mate

Mountune has a great following in the ford world and as you say shame VW and Audi don’t offer the same

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2019, 11:19 »
Abt are well thought of, just not really very visible or fashionable in the UK.
They were more popular with T5 owners a while back, possibly down to how they’re marketed in the UK and their broad range of options for the vans.
In the UK at least they conjure up images of gaudy body kits on Golfs and very Germanic colour schemes, their actual tuning systems are very discretely marketed in comparison.

What drew you to them, out of interest?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 January 2019, 12:04 »
Factory warranty or not, nearly £2k for a plug-in tuning box that DTUK sell for £400 is probably the reason they aren't very popular...
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 January 2019, 12:10 »
I'd still trust abt over dtuk any day of the week though  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 January 2019, 12:11 »
I'd still trust abt over dtuk any day of the week though  :grin:
:grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2019, 13:19 »
I'm considering a BSR remap which you do yourself with a PPC unit they supply (like SC Bluefin) for around £500 here in UK. They even seem to have some sort of warranty for engine but not quite worked out if thats included in that price.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Cardy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2019, 18:12 »
Abt are well thought of, just not really very visible or fashionable in the UK.
They were more popular with T5 owners a while back, possibly down to how they’re marketed in the UK and their broad range of options for the vans.
In the UK at least they conjure up images of gaudy body kits on Golfs and very Germanic colour schemes, their actual tuning systems are very discretely marketed in comparison.

What drew you to them, out of interest?

Not sure tbh I’d seen the ABT RS3 and they seemed to be a decent company with race cars etc I thought they may have been like mountune are to ford

I’m new to VW Audi only owed one non ford that was golf 4motion 2.8

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 07 January 2019, 11:36 »
There’s a huge gulf of difference between the modern GTI’s and R’s when looking back at the 2.8 V6’s.

The handling and performance is in a different league. Build quality possibly less so but the mk7 isn’t plagued with serious issues.

REVO and APR are the big names in the UK for VW tuning with a decent network of dealers and good support. They both do significant testing on models before releasing software.
If VW find you’ve got modified software your warranty is goosed.
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/8351-bulletin-posted-to-audi-dealers-this-morning/
There are literally hundreds, of not thousands of modified under warranty GTI’s and R’s running tunes and I’ve not seen too many horror stories. 
Others use similar devices to the Abt plug in unit at a fraction of the cost.
Mcmaddy’s favourites, DTUK supply a lot of plug in tuning boxes or there’s the JB1 and JB4 boxes from Burger Motorsport. I’ve used both of these companies myself.

Personally I actually prefer the Clubsport and R in standard tune as it’s a great engine but with the addition of a “PedalBox” to liven up the tardy throttle response. Have a search on here if you’re not familiar with the pedal box.

There are plenty of other tuners that deal with mk7 Golfs, post up here if you have any questions, there’s a vast wealth of experience. 

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner