Author Topic: Turbo Lag  (Read 1081 times)

Offline jimmyob

• Not said much yet
Turbo Lag
« on: 24 May 2008, 14:36 »
Hi guys,
Are there any common reasons why you get bad turbo lag?
My turbo doesn't kick in till about 3,200+ revs,
seen a few topics on here saying it should be about 2,500.
Been having a few problems with the car, boost always seems to be accompanied by a metal type sheering sound, as if 2 metal plates are spinning flush with each other.
Also on the motorway with my foot down in 4/5th boost seems to fluctuate quite a lot.
was having a look at the DV the other day and it was replaced in 2006 so would of thought it's fine.

Really stuggling to find fundage for a garage atm so trying my luck on here as much as poss,
Cheers for any help,
Jim

Offline grimmy1531

• Not said much yet
Re: Turbo Lag
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2008, 00:10 »
my turbo starts spinning just over 1500rpm, the sound could be the bearings in the turbo, also the dump valve is only £20 to replace, if its 2 years old it could be shot,

Offline GTi-Matt

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2008, 00:15 »
upgrade the dump valve to a forge 007p mate, they are the correct fitment for the 1.8t and and so much better than the bosch standard ones? if your still have performance problems after that then could be your maf sensor they corse performance problems or at worst can be the turbo id fooked, id try the dump valve first IMO :afro:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=87364.0
I must warn you I'm about as decisive as a 5 yr old in a sweet shop!!  :grin:

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2008, 11:32 »
What turbo have you got as to be honest the metal sheering sound your talking about sounds like when you have a BIG turbo and that would explain the lag?
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2008, 11:44 »
May 24th..

i think we solved this guys problem in the posts that got lost.. think he ended up with a new turbo

Offline GTi-Matt

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2008, 18:28 »
damn it, i blame grimmy1531 i saw his post and thought it was a new post!!!! :grin:

I must warn you I'm about as decisive as a 5 yr old in a sweet shop!!  :grin: