Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 535594 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1900 on: 24 September 2018, 14:39 »
Just a thought, I powerwash my car first then snowfoam, should I snowfoam first on to a dry car? Taa :smiley:

Don't think there's a right or wrong as to when whether to use snow foam before or after an initial rinse. Technically though, the correct method would be to use a citrus pre wash first, then rinse then snow foam.  :smiley:

Whilst you do want some cling, you actually want the foam to work its way off the car on its own which is why when you see these ridiculously thick foams whilst it might look great, it's not really doing its job properly...

Cheers Jim. Mine works it's way off just fine, was concerned that it might be a bit too quick but the car does come up really clean after. I use the Gtechniq Citrus Foam.

Great jobs on the Porsche and BMW :smiley:

Cheers Watts! Quite like working on bikes, needed a lot of effort though.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1901 on: 24 September 2018, 15:45 »

I thought it looked a bit of a faff not to mention about a billion (exaggerating by just a million is so last year :laugh:) water traps....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1902 on: 24 September 2018, 15:53 »

I thought it looked a bit of a faff not to mention about a billion (exaggerating by just a million is so last year :laugh:) water traps....

Well it would be normally - but now I have my heated dryer!  :cool:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1903 on: 24 September 2018, 20:40 »
Got mine washed now, first time for two months. Barring the mess on the rear bumper, all things considered I suppose it wasn't quite as bad as I thought. A good powerwash rinse followed by a citrus snow foam got it pretty much sorted. After washing and drying, the glass was cleaned then treated to a spray of Gtechniq C2v3 and the paint was qd'd. A final buff with the Dodo Juice Fur mf brought up a good gloss :smiley: The wind held off other than one big gust that left me with a good covering of snow foam :rolleyes: Finished off with a fluids check under the bonnet and a quick spray and wipe to tidy a few areas up. Much better now :smiley:

Sounds good... but we need pictures....  :smiley:

Sorry. I had an important engagement as soon as I finished (the kettle)....

Red looks so good after a bit of tlc.  Lovely Watts. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1904 on: 24 September 2018, 20:44 »

Don't think there's a right or wrong as to when whether to use snow foam before or after an initial rinse. Technically though, the correct method would be to use a citrus pre wash first, then rinse then snow foam.  :smiley:

Whilst you do want some cling, you actually want the foam to work its way off the car on its own which is why when you see these ridiculously thick foams whilst it might look great, it's not really doing its job properly...

My 2 jobs this weekend.... Maintenance wash on the GTS and full deep clean on the BMW - this was a serious task as not been properly washed in 3 years and 4k miles! You can see the snow foam literally dripping off which for me means its working.

Great work Jim. Both look superb.

I prefer to use snow foam first followed by Citrus Pre Wash.  I’ve always favoured using VP snow foam (a relatively runny snow foam) before the Citrus Pre Wash as that’s logical order to me to get the most effective cleansing out of both pre wash products, use them to their individual strengths.  I know some prefer to use the two the other way round with citrus pre wash first then snow foam, but tbh I never quite seen the point of that - imo that way round reduces the action and effectiveness of the snow foam, on the initial layer loose surface dirt, and is a bit of a waste of the deep cleaning attributes of the Citrus Pre Wash on the more stubborn clingy grime.  The strength of a good snow foam being to initially soften and encapsulate as much of the loose dirt, grit and debris as possible and then carry it off the paint/wheels without the need to touch, the remainder being swept away with the pressure washer at pre wash rinse stage.  So for me it’s snow foam first (applied via a lance to dry car) dwell and rinse off with PW.  Then VP Citrus Pre Wash  (applied via a snow foam lance) sprayed on and left to do it’s deep cleansing work on the stubborn non loose dirt still remaining on the paintwork/wheels, the stuff that snow foam simply doesn’t impact on, then PW rinsed off.  Ime this leaves the car bout 80% clean having massively reduced what the bucket and mitt wash has to tackle which means all that is needed to follow is a very gentle mitt wash and therefore greatly reduced risk of wash inflicted swirls at the 'touch' stage of cleaning.  For me, in that order, it’s a winning pre wash double act.  All personal pref though.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1905 on: 24 September 2018, 22:36 »
Red looks so good after a bit of tlc.  Lovely Watts.

Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1906 on: 25 September 2018, 13:39 »
A pre-winter snow foam, wash and wax using Auto Finesse Radiance, a very easy to use carnauba based cream wax.  I'll do this a couple more times before the bad weather sets in, to give the paint some protection and make the car easier to clean when the weather turns cold and miserable.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1907 on: 26 September 2018, 08:23 »
Gave the interior of the truck a much needed hoover, clean and trim dressing. The 'boot' could really do with a snow foam and pressure wash next.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #1908 on: 27 September 2018, 12:55 »
Did a big Volvo with some NEW Carpro products.

Movie!  :whistle:

https://youtu.be/aiLOGU3mz0I

My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1909 on: 12 October 2018, 14:10 »
A hearty wash! 

A bit mucky

Sodding birds!

Double trouble pre wash! 

Snowy foamy fun starter

After a 5 min dwell

Citrus pre wash amuse-bouche!

Wheel and 2 bucket wash main! 

Final open ended hose rinse palette cleanser! 

Desserts! 

« Last Edit: 12 October 2018, 14:27 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual