Author Topic: im on my mums and will be for the forseeable future!  (Read 3166 times)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
im on my mums and will be for the forseeable future!
« on: 31 December 2006, 16:28 »
(one for the youngsters!) allowing me to drive much faster cars than i should be! ok if your in the right situation, im a named driver so am getting no claims under my mum who is insured on my dads seperate company insurance so it doesnt bother her if i crash or whatever and its dirt cheap for me, and has been for five years. nice

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: im on my mums and will be for the forseeable future!
« Reply #1 on: 02 January 2007, 11:34 »
Hi mate,

i would personally always be a little carefull going as a named driver on a parents policy particularly if its actually your car or you are the main user. Insurance companies are not stupid and have grown wise to it, a lot of companies call it "fronting" where an older driver fronts the risk with a young driver named to try and get it cheaper.

Although some companies will still do this for you (many including us wont) be aware if they suspect that in the event of a claim its actually your car or that you are the main user (which you must declare if you are) then they could refuse to payout.

Also not many companies will accept the no claims bonus you build up as a second driver which could cause problems in the future should you wish to insure a car in your own name.

Obviously these are only possible scenarios and if you have got a good deal doing it this way then that is great but i just thought i had better point them out for other people to consider before insuring a car this way.  :smiley:

Hope this helps  :smiley:

Martin

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 January 2007, 23:40 »
fair comment, they dont seemed bothered my old dear sorted it out and they were sound, its not as if its modded atall and ive been driving about 5 years, never had a crash and am pretty careful. it basically is my mums anyway, but i probably do drive it more. pretty soon ill be 25 and can get a rado like you on my own, i did suspect the second driver no claims to be a problem, sounded too good to be true but at least it will be a bit cheaper by then! It costs just too much! there is someone somewhere in a big house loving it.

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 January 2007, 09:11 »
fair comment, they dont seemed bothered my old dear sorted it out and they were sound, its not as if its modded atall and ive been driving about 5 years, never had a crash and am pretty careful. it basically is my mums anyway, but i probably do drive it more. pretty soon ill be 25 and can get a rado like you on my own, i did suspect the second driver no claims to be a problem, sounded too good to be true but at least it will be a bit cheaper by then! It costs just too much! there is someone somewhere in a big house loving it.

Fair play mate, tbh being 25 with a good driving history you shouldnt have too many problems getting a pretty good deal anyway regardless of no claims bonus (im not saying no-one will accept it, just not all companies).  :cool:

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2007, 12:46 »
that was the idea, your right, i rang the company im with and they recently changed, before i was on an under 22 driver scheme ( where anyone under 22 with a licence and permission could drive) this scheme was cancelled as  they thought it was dodgy like you say, now im just a named second driver, no restrictions on whos the 'main' as such we are both the same now. thats why my insurance went up slightly this year! no diffenence though really?!

Offline martinb

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2007, 14:48 »
Different companies will have different criteria anyway so what i have said may not be the case across the board however you will probably find that more and more companies changing now.

With ourselves it wouldnt make any diffence anyway (if we did it) cos we always rate on the highest risk driver anyway.

:smiley:

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2007, 21:50 »
I would have thought that would have been the best way anyway!