Author Topic: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp  (Read 38386 times)

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
Re: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2015, 23:47 »
Alright so next on the list was meant to be 3 inch downpipe and exhaust meaning more power. However since launching the car one night it then made some seriously unholy noises on moving off and even idle. I genuinely thought the clutch or flywheel had died. So I decided to change that next instead, with great power comes responsibility so time to be responsible!

Gearbox out

Old clutch out

And a good thing it's out too! Houston we definitely have a problem

The upgrade, any guesses?

Ok so the upgrade I went for I won a while back on eBay is a lightened 7kg single mass g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch

This definitely looks like it can take a beating!

All bolted up

Putting the box back on took so much longer than expected because of the tip but mainly because of the black metal coolant pipe off the matrix hose. If anyone knows what the best alternative is I would really appreciate it!

So got back in the car and the biting point is SO low, feels like my driving lessons. Sound old now. But no more unholy sounds or anything. Just have to be gentle for 1000 miles which means changing gear off boost :( Makes me wish I did this before the turbo so I could put my foot down but now have to wait. Will need to do a road trip up to somewhere and get them miles ticked off!

Offline Scott-R

• I live here
  • GoT BoosT!
« Reply #21 on: 21 September 2015, 19:15 »
What clutch did you go for black diamond?
Golf GTI ... What else would you have?

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2015, 07:14 »
Just a standard Sachs VR6 mate

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 13 November 2016, 20:39 »
Ok like always it's been a while but a lot has been done in that time.

First of all ordered a 3 inch exhaust and got that put on. Also ordered a relentless 3 inch downpipe which I was told would fit by them but didn't ended up having to cut it apart and make a custom downpipe. Will upload videos of it when I can figure out how to from an iPhone. Performance wise big difference, absolutely love the sound of it too.

Then the usual MOT time came round, replaced the rear shocks as they were dead, I plan on changing the entire suspension unit in the near foreseeable future so this is just temporary. Was pretty ok to do at home.

Changed two front tyres, and managed to squeeze it through MOT.

A mod I have been wanting to do was do the dogbone mount bush as I did have a bit of play with engine movement, so changed that to the softer red bush for now. May change it again later was put off by the amount of people saying it vibrates a lot.

Looking at this picture I definitely will be putting in the stiffer bush and also changing the small bush as I didn't do it at the time. Muppet.

Gear changes were tighter, and it really did help put the power down.
I managed to get my hands on a vag com copy which said I had a coolant temp sensor fault code and fuel pump relay so swapped those out same day.

So all was good until I started getting throttle cut on full throttle my vag com is basically rubbish so I was unable to log it and see what was actually happening but I figured try upgrading the fuel pump and see what happens, went for the A35HV from badger5. It seemed straight forward but was very annoying, getting the old c clips of the fuel lines. Then the lines themself, use a blade makes it much easier.

Back it went in the fuel tank and away went my throttle cut. Temporarily, I think it may be down to injectors, I also did scan it again and find a maf intermittent and o2 sensor fault, will be changing those soon to see if it helps. If anyone has any ideas or could help me log the issue please do give me a shout!

I then had a wheel bearing go on me and changed it, by far the most annoying job I've done on the car as I didn't have the right puller tools so took the axle stub off with the inner race on it to JNL racing where he very kindly managed to get it off. No pictures were taken as I just wanted to get it done with. A week later same side opposite bearing has begun making noise and will change that as soon as it's too loud to bare. Did this in a rush in order to get down to Santa Pod for GTi festival, didn't drag but went down with few friends which one of which did. Great day, lots of nice cars.

For a while now I've had a temperature problem concerning my thermostat hot days would rise, heaters on would drop significantly so I got a 74 degree thermostat off eBay and swapped it round. Very small space to work in. But is possible to do with alternator in place.

Old  thermostat

Nice new one.

Old one completely destroyed by the looks of it?

And that went back into the car with a nice new O ring, since then went down to Audi driver and decided to take it on the Castle Combe track. One and a half laps in my boost pipe popped off which didn't entirely ruin the day but identified a weakness in the car, only blew off because that pipe was cut down all other pipes are beaded just need to properly bead that.

Lots planned for the future as an s3 with 3 inch exhaust and revo intake and r32 mk5 are my rivals, feel like the underdog as they both have 4 wheel drive system. Thinking of rods...  :whistle:

Thanks for reading guys

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 13 November 2016, 20:43 »

Few pics from pod day, do have more if anyone's interested.

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 06 October 2017, 18:13 »
Ok been a while as always, update time. So I guess I have just been trying to perfect all the mods that I need in order to make sure it does well on mapping day, so that along with maintenance is the following.

Firstly I wanted a boost gauge, I just wanted to see how much boost I was running unmapped and whether everything was running right, in addition to this fitted a catch can and inlet 034 motorsports inlet manifold spacer.

The injectors are 630cc injectors and the air filter is an 80mm JR filter, which will be put on when closer to mappping.

« Last Edit: 06 October 2017, 18:50 by QazGolf »

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 06 October 2017, 18:15 »
I then went ahead and ordered a mocal oil cooler with a thermostatic sandwich plate, as much as I want my car to reach full power potential I want it to be reliable.

LOVE these fittings, my car is officially a race car with these fittings lol

Originally I mounted it there, realised stupid idea and then moved it.

To down here.

I then realised I had dead front struts so I ordered AP coilovers with new bearings from Awesome GTi and I also ordered silver project top mounts. Which are camber and caster adjustable.

How I drove with these springs I do not know.

Ok so if you're planning on doing coilovers at home go onto eBay and get the strut spreader tool it makes your life so much easier when doing it so you don't waste time.

Replacing battered bolts along the way.

How my top mounts are currently set up, not sure if they're perfect but I'll get someone to fix them if they aren't?

It looks a lot more cambered from the angle that the picture was taken it is only slightly cambered however it has made a big difference in handling.

After that the car was parked up for some time so just changed the oil to keep everything fresh.

« Last Edit: 06 October 2017, 18:30 by QazGolf »

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 06 October 2017, 18:36 »
My next attention was brakes, now although the idea of 17z cupra r 4 pots are very appealing I couldn't fork out the money for the calipers, new discs and new pads and additionally wheels that would clear them so I settled for the 312mm s3 setup, and while I was at it got a good offer on a s3 steering rack too.

My old brakes clearly not much life in them haha

312mm setup discs and pads have plenty of life so will be using it until they die, used type200 brake fluid.

New bush for the steering rack might as well upgrade it since changing it.

Together the brakes and steering rack, with the camber, make the car stick through bends so much more. The difference really is night and day, highly recommend the quick rack and camber!
« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 10:17 by QazGolf »

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 06 October 2017, 18:45 »
I then really purchased a set of used agu engine mounts and decided to poly fill them with 70a as opposed to 85, purely because it's a daily and I didn't want to have a lot of vibration.

Tape them up as much as possible I didn't tape up the first side good enough resulting in some of it leaking out.

First mount drying, remember to pour it slow to avoid air bubbles and try to do it quickly as it hardens very quickly, made a mess on this one because it was leaking and I was panicking and trying to finish it.

This one I taped up thoroughly, no leaks.

Before and after they had dried

Now I really want to spray them silver and put them into the car, anyone know a good silver? Or will halfords silver be up to the job? It isn't a show car by any means but I would like a nice oem looking fresh silver if that makes any sense haha

There's still a few things left on my list before it gets booked in for mapping, my current predicament is whether or not to forge the bottom end?
Also who here is running a different radiator? Looking at fitting an aftermarket radiator is it worth while or a waste of money?

Many thanks for reading will try to update more regularly, apologies for the lack of detail not feeling too great so thought I would update this. Happy to answer any questions

Offline naiman

• Just got here
« Reply #29 on: 10 October 2017, 07:35 »
good work, keep it that way.
 I got a 1.8t agu with k04-022 and I pulled the dyno 220 whp.
I'm curious how much you get off.