Author Topic: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp  (Read 38402 times)

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
Re: Qaz's Mk4 1.8T Project 300bhp
« Reply #30 on: 22 December 2017, 19:53 »
Wow qaz. Come along way. Been some time. Iv got same ap coilovers on mine. And im rebuilding some octy vrs calipers and building a k03s hybrid stage 2. Jus the core no machining done yet. I wanted to ask you about the fuel pump. Im collecting parts atm. But wanted to know who does that fuel pump perform? I have heard bad stuff about the walbro 225 as it doesnt work properly when 3/4 tank left.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 06 January 2018, 20:32 »
Wow qaz. Come along way. Been some time. Iv got same ap coilovers on mine. And im rebuilding some octy vrs calipers and building a k03s hybrid stage 2. Jus the core no machining done yet. I wanted to ask you about the fuel pump. Im collecting parts atm. But wanted to know who does that fuel pump perform? I have heard bad stuff about the walbro 225 as it doesnt work properly when 3/4 tank left.

Bro!! Where have you been? Hope you're well. Good to see you're still fiddling, I have a good link for the hybrid you're building however it would require machining. PM me if interested!
My fuel pump is a copy of the DW pump, it works alright so far though my car isn't mapped yet. I have seen that it doesn't flow well past around 320bbhp or something but for your turbo it should be alright. I have read somewhere that it needs 2 O rings at the bottom so it sits properly though

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #32 on: 06 January 2018, 21:04 »
Ok happy new year guys, hope you all had a good one and got the mods you wanted over Christmas!

Little update sprayed my engine mounts because show car.

Gave them a clean with brake cleaner and then a couple of licks of spray from halfords and came out decent.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 21:08 by QazGolf »

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #33 on: 06 January 2018, 21:05 »
Will probably be picking your brains at some point mate as I'm going K04 somewhen :wink:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #34 on: 06 January 2018, 21:09 »
Will probably be picking your brains at some point mate as I'm going K04 somewhen :wink:

Please feel free to bro! Though with the turbo you're going from to k04 I wouldn't say it's worth it. I would recommend the tfsi k04 064 as opposed to mine, but that's purely because of the turbo you are planning on running.

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 06 January 2018, 21:56 »
Ok so, due to these turbos being small we've all heard and seen rods bend around 300 pounds of torque, however after a long debate I decided I wanted to get the most out this turbo and make sure it's done safely and reliably.

So one day I got lucky and found a set of rods cheap, had been sat in a garage and needed tidying up and for months they sat in my room and I think I finally have everything.

Got new everything since the car has come up to 120k ish so for piece of mind and longevity gonna do it once and properly. Hopefully.

New water pump.

Got my fuel filter changed today too!

Goezte piston rings.

KS sputter big end bearings.

The rods needed cleaning up, I know I know no one is gonna see them and it is inside of an engine but it makes me feel better. Used steel wool and WD40 on them and then wiped off with brake cleaner.

DM forged rods, came out well. Don't have before pictures to show the difference. Onto the necessities!

Going back to an oem thermostat just because the 74 degree one I have on the car means overfilling because the car needs to get warmer. So to avoid over fueling gonna use the oem one during run in of the engine.

And a new oil pick up pipe.

And ARP bolts to hold it all together.

I also have new spark plugs, filters and Millers CRO running in oil but that is downstairs so will take pictures tomorrow. Engine mounts will also be put into the car at time of the engine being rebuilt.
Also magnets on the oil filter, anyone done this? Assuming it doesn't make a great deal of difference but got two small ones off ebay purely for run in period.

Once again thanks for reading,

Qaz

« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 22:23 by QazGolf »

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #36 on: 09 January 2018, 21:39 »
Sounds like you're doing the same as me mate, good luck with it all!

You going for a new oil pump? I bought one for mine, wasn't too expensive either

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 13 January 2018, 23:59 »
Sounds like you're doing the same as me mate, good luck with it all!

You going for a new oil pump? I bought one for mine, wasn't too expensive either

Thanks bro at this rate I need a lottery behind me!
And nah mine works so I am sticking with it until it is run in. But will get changed in the future for sure.

Offline QazGolf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 14 January 2018, 00:00 »
Bad news, my current block is shot.
Has a slight lip at top of the bores.
Either source another block or go oversize pistons.
Stupid car.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #39 on: 15 January 2018, 22:34 »
Bad luck. Are you able to go oversize bores/pistons, grab some extra capacity, salvage the block?
Otherwise great reading!
Keep it up!

Build thread clicky