Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170951 times)

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #560 on: 27 November 2019, 23:17 »
 :grin: :grin: I hope it does have 400bhp but can’t see it happening (other than in the headline !!!)
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Primerdriver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #561 on: 28 November 2019, 02:01 »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #562 on: 28 November 2019, 06:34 »
:grin: :grin: I hope it does have 400bhp but can’t see it happening (other than in the headline !!!)
  :grin: :grin: the new 135i and a35 have 306 so I can't see VW going much higher than that for the R or the price difference will put people off.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #563 on: 28 November 2019, 09:03 »
  :grin: :grin: the new 135i and a35 have 306 so I can't see VW going much higher than that for the R or the price difference will put people off.

I'm guessing more like 330bhp for the R.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #564 on: 28 November 2019, 11:43 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #565 on: 28 November 2019, 12:10 »
Autogefuehl driving review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc8KbxKl8DY

Thanks. I honestly think they’ve done a cracking job.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #566 on: 29 November 2019, 16:19 »
Some more Mk8 tidbits in this:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/108247/new-volkswagen-golf-2020-review

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are both included, and the latter can work wirelessly.

Huge shift away from physical switches makes for a tidier, classy-looking fascia. But it’ll take owners some time to get used to the multiple alternative interfaces, such as voice commands or the ‘swipe bar’ below the infotainment display. Quality feels strong, though.
swipe bar for volume and heating temperature...

VW has placed the lithium-ion battery used in the mild-hybrid Golfs under the front passenger seat, so boot space is unaffected by the electrification. As a result, the capacity stands at 380 litres
.... i thought the Mk8 was supposed to bring more boot space?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #567 on: 29 November 2019, 18:20 »
Based on the Autogefuehl review I’m still concerned about the styling, although I often say that about any new car! There’s a odd slope to the bonnet, the back end looks huge and overall I think the car just looks a bit bloated. I’m hoping I’m wrong when the performance Golfs come along as I’ve got my eye on a potential ED45. Bit concerning how VW Sen to be cutting costs on the Golf. But I suppose there’s no actual future in the model, it’s all about the ID going forward realistically I think. 
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #568 on: 29 November 2019, 19:04 »
Based on the Autogefuehl review I’m still concerned about the styling, although I often say that about any new car! There’s a odd slope to the bonnet, the back end looks huge and overall I think the car just looks a bit bloated. I’m hoping I’m wrong when the performance Golfs come along as I’ve got my eye on a potential ED45. Bit concerning how VW Sen to be cutting costs on the Golf. But I suppose there’s no actual future in the model, it’s all about the ID going forward realistically I think.

I was also surprised about the cost cutting, some of the cost cutting is same as on the Polo - which is significantly cheaper - the manual bonnet stay and the harder plastic throughout the door cards rather than being rubberised on the top. The dash trimming looks very BMW 4 series (the inlays), that bolt on console screen doesn't look right to me, and the stubby little DSG stick is also very BMW.

The back end looks very 1 series as does the overall side profile. It's like VW taking the ugly stick to the MK5 to make the MK6 all over again. Bloated yet not significantly bigger.

Not a fan.

The dealership activated options is interesting. If you really do get a fully loaded car with inactive options, potentially you only have one WLTP submission per trim level.

Could it also be a tax dodge? Let's say the new R is £39k in bare bones spec. You squeeze under the £40k threshold and 2 days after registering the car you add £3k of options by getting the garage to activate the kit and avoid paying almost £500 a year car tax for the first 4 years.

Could hackers find a way to free up all that on board but not active tech without paying VW for it?
« Last Edit: 29 November 2019, 20:20 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #569 on: 29 November 2019, 19:22 »
I would really doubt you'd be able to hack the features active. Almost certainly needs a license key downloaded from vw ota. The key will be tied to the vin and validated with every switch on. Really not too hard to make that largely uncrackable on a sealed black box system. Vw have a lot of revenue riding on it, they won't be sloppy.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC