Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 171441 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #460 on: 25 October 2019, 09:17 »
VW: "I know what, let's move one of the screens and take away most of the functional buttons"

Car buyers: "Wow, look at this modern interior!!!"

Give me a break.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #461 on: 25 October 2019, 09:26 »
I've kept out of this thread, as a) I'm not currently interested in a new car and b) UNtil the performance models hit the street, we still don't really know what they will look like, but anyway, here's my take (for what it's worth).

I've had a lot of Golf generations over the years and to me at least, the MK7.5 (very closely followed by the MK7) is the best and most rounded model to date. It's certainly very good looking from pretty much every angle, and some of those early renders of the MK8 left me feeling "what have they done" ?

Seeing the new models on various reviews sites etc. the first thing that strikes me is that it's not quite as ugly as the early renders would have us believe. Sure, at present I still prefer my MK7.5, but then I'm bound to be biased. As has been mentioned I'm sure (hoping) that the performance models have just enough tweaks to the styling to lift it up. Afterall, the GTI, GTD and R models all looked (in my humble opinion) much better and more aggressive than than the "standard" MK7(7.5) units. So for me, juries out until I see the new GTI, R (and maybe still a GTD) ?

One thing that has me slightly worried, is that if VW is trying to take this model more upmarket (maybe more marketing than substance), then a lot of the new shiney tech that's been touted for the new model, will actually be on the options list not standard. Indeed, I've just look at the launch page on VW UK's website (a site known for it's technical accuracies  ;) ;) ), and as an example with regards to adaptive cruise control - it intimate that it's now optional. And things like the HUD etc will no doubt be expensive options.

Also, with Brexit looming, we don't know what affect (if any) that might have on the future UK pricing of German cars, and with the £40k threshold for VED shooting up not looking likely to change any time soon, there's a worry, that if a lot of the things we took for granted as standard on the MK7(7.5) become now options, then certainly for the performance models it could perhaps easily nurge the price over £40k with just a few well chosen options. I guess time will tell, and hopefully I'm wrong and the MK8 will be just as well (if not better) equipped as standard than the MK8.

All in all then, not as hideous as I first thought, and it is perhaps a very good starting platform for the performance models to come later - let's hope we are not disappointed. 
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #462 on: 25 October 2019, 09:28 »

Also from shots I have seen, the DSG gear lever is no more, and as someone who flicks between D > S and Manual quite often the exact action of the lever makes that action very easy - The little lever that see there is hardly going to be as tactile and satisfying, it make the dropping from D to S sterile at the point you are obviously looking to make the car more eager.

I thought there was going to be a small new 911 style lever? You have to have something unless they go for the Ferrari-esque  buttons which I very much doubt!

Hertsman, we are saved...  :grin:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #463 on: 25 October 2019, 10:13 »
VW: "I know what, let's move one of the screens and take away most of the functional buttons"

Car buyers: "Wow, look at this modern interior!!!"

Give me a break.

Well said :afro:

I can think of one or two current mk7 owners who have been waiting for this car and will soon be singing its praises non stop and photo blogging it at every opportunity having convinced themselves already it’s the new Messiah of hatches, but in all honesty it’s a sows ear of styling and anyone who said the new 1 series was butt ugly now has a new contender as this isn’t even as pretty as “the one” inside. 
The 7 was a handsome car from most angles but I can’t really see a good angle on this new design yet, inside or out.
Yeah, we’ll be bombarded with photo-blogging from certain members next year as we gradually get brainwashed to accept the design and their expertise on the invaluable gimmicks but...

...roll on the first facelift!!  :grin:

Let’s hope Audi, SEAT and Skoda pull off prettier designs.
Granted that VW, BMW, M-B et al are constrained by EU (and US) safety laws that demand the bonnet to be a soft landing when you run over the paper boy/girl so we have to have bulging bonnets/hoods.
For me historically one of the great things about the Golf was its restrained, discreet but well balanced styling. Classless but a certain elegance. For enthusiasts like me it was a great canvas to add a few simple visual tweaks to give it that je ne sais quoi, adding a sense of purpose and panache. Those little details that make all the difference to enthusiasts.
This is an Eos/Scirocco hybrid face that doesn’t sit well on a Golf and the other styling additions (pig’s lipstick) just don’t sit well to these weary eyes. It doesn’t look integrated. 
The ID is actually a prettier car in my eyes, or at least it has potential from an enthusiasts eye (add decent wheels, bit of a drop)

It’ll sell well because it’s a Golf. People on here will buy one because it’s a Golf.

Details. Well there are things that irritate me, things I quite like and things that just leave me feeling “meh”.

VW may have loaded the run out mk7’s with extras such as the ultra useful self dimming headlights, plus rear camera and other little toys but they’ve loaded the list price accordingly and removed the under Seat cake drawers and various little bits of trim that drop the interior ambience down a notch.

Removing the gas lift bonnet stay and the treatment of some of the interior plastics going from the vids is bringing the Golf down to SEAT/Skoda and Ford level.
The wrap around screens might have Mercedes style funkiness of graphics but they lack the A-Class’s panache (but hopefully don’t share the M-B’s cheapness of switchgear) yet the screens look like bolt ons either side of the main dial binnacle. No better than the previous gen A3/A-Class in some respects.
Cheaping out aside, I do like the fact the rear doors now seem to have LED’s. That’ll help my car interior OCD!
The DSG clitoris? The less said the better maybe.
Give me a Golfball gearknob any day.

What’s it up against though?
The Focus is all lumps and bumps and I hate its styling with a passion (it looks ok in white as that shade seems to hide some of the ‘styling’).

The A-Class looks like a woodlouse that’s been in the Bibbidy Bobbidy Boutique for a makeover.

The 1 series looks err... better than the outgoing model, nice inside though (but I’m not at all keen on the dials).

The previously hideous Civic now looks suddenly ahead of its time rather than an explosion in a video games arcade.

The Korean stuff is actually starting to look more German than the German stuff!

The GTI has heritage but is probably a bit left behind in certain areas as far as the mk7 is concerned (TCR apart) so there is room for improvement there as far as the mk8 goes.

The 7R had its own unique slot in the market and nailed it. We now have a load of heavy hitting German marque cllones who have taken the simple formula - mid range Diesel company car looks, 4wd system and 2.0 300ish PS etc watering down that niche so much there is barely a fag paper between any of them. 

So, yeah, it’ll sell well because it’s a Golf up against mediocre opposition. VW didn’t exactly have to try hard and so they didn’t bother.

I hope it grows on me.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #464 on: 25 October 2019, 10:17 »
Looks like the standard GTi will also be seriously lacking in power with only 235ps which is disappointing.

I want to really to like the Mk8 and think the performance versions will certainly be better.

But I'm not sure it would be next car.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #465 on: 25 October 2019, 11:02 »
Looks like the standard GTi will also be seriously lacking in power with only 235ps which is disappointing.

I want to really to like the Mk8 and think the performance versions will certainly be better.

That’s a bit disappointing, early rumours suggested 250 hp ish.

:sad:
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #466 on: 25 October 2019, 11:08 »

They quoted 245 plus for the GTE (which they want to gradually replace the GTI) in a previous statement so I reckon over 260 for the GTI and it’ll have to be at least 315-320 for the R to separate it from the 135/A35
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #467 on: 25 October 2019, 11:12 »

I read the standard GTi will be 235ps, a GTI Cup will be 290ps and then R will still be around 330ps.

Later on the company will introduce an assortment of other models.  A GTI variant is due next year with a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine producing 232 hp (173 kW / 235 PS).  It will reportedly be followed by a Golf GTI Cup with 286 hp (213 kW / 290 PS) and a Golf R with 325 hp (245 kW / 330 PS).
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #468 on: 25 October 2019, 12:22 »
I've watched a couple of walk around videos now.

My thoughts are:

1) It looks better than it has done previously externally. However, there is a great emphasis on a front three quarter angle in photos- I know this is traditionally the classic setup for a car photo, but it really can suck in some of the other angles. The colour seems to make a big difference too - the white one looked quite mk7 mainly, the yellow one something else, the black one looked fat and bloaty.

2) The dials/dash is horrible. I like tech, but its still horrible. Looks like a backward step.

3) The tech is brilliant itself - I knew it would be. Some really nice bits there, but at what cost when you option them? It remains to be seen what UK Gti trim level will be, but I suspect you are looking at a £38k base price and you still won't have anything like all of the sexy new kit - that will all be multiples of 800 quid to add on top. The videos all seem to show the NavPro unit btw..

4) Did I really hear that the oil burner versions can be AWD as an option? One German video definitely said about AWD as an option and not just on the R... Guess it makes sense - BMW offer it as an option on any model. Again... £££££

Can we really be looking at the first 50k Golf?

PS Matrix lights delivered via a software key.... cheeky gits!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #469 on: 25 October 2019, 13:00 »

1) It looks better than it has done previously externally. However, there is a great emphasis on a front three quarter angle in photos- I know this is traditionally the classic setup for a car photo, but it really can suck in some of the other angles. The colour seems to make a big difference too - the white one looked quite mk7 mainly, the yellow one something else, the black one looked fat and bloaty.

Agree, at some angles in the photos it just looks weird.  There’s something very off about the side flowing (or rather not flowing) into the rear quarter and to the rear, in a similar way that the scirocco lines went awry front side into rear (and front).  Not liking the very straight line of the front door panel where it means front window and side badge.  Very odd in places.  At least in the pics. And that’s all we’ve got for now.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2019, 13:15 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11