Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169150 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #160 on: 26 April 2019, 10:40 »
The usual thinking would be that the MK 7 is at the end of its life cycle and the rest of the car world is overtaking it, much like where the MK 6 was, as that platform and drive was starting to become compromised in face of the competition, but think the MK 7 is still setting the curve.

The new A35 AMG for example, is a decent stab at hitting this demographic but is it any more capable than the MK7 as newly designed car? Of course there is the interior tech that is pushing that curve but for some, like me, its pushed acceptability, and hence I backed off my mild flirtation with the A35 AMG

Most head to head tests, the battle is always close and its usual subtle subjective preferences that split the cars, but the 5 year old Golf is still punching its weight against the young pretenders.

Be interesting to see how the new FWD BMW I series fairs in competition.

From what understand there will be some mild uplift on the MQB platform and most of the innovation would be on the technology and more semi and autonomous functions, which actually fills me with a little dread not excitement as its the path to governed driving that nanny state would love. - ok, maybe not that far just yet, but the MK 8 is another step.

Basically the MK 8 (now the hybrid has been dumped) will be mildly evolutionary in style and drive and the revolution will come in the tech and is that truly needed and wanted?

So the MK 7 is more than relevant still, in fact it might be the last bastion of what a performance Golf should be (particularly the clubsport) and I am personally very happy that going to be getting the TCR and if the MK8 goes as suspects, then that maybe the first time kept a car as a keeper.

The Evo article still suggests hybrid is back on:

The core of this new performance will be the adoption of a new 48V hybrid system. As well as supporting fuel-saving technology such as engine-off coasting and an integrated starter motor and generator, the 48V system will potentially allow VW to include electrically-driven turbochargers to improve performance on models such as the GTI and R.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #161 on: 26 April 2019, 11:06 »
Be interesting to see how the new FWD BMW I series fairs in competition.

No DSG, that stupid BMW thing where every model has to have the same massive BMW bonnet and lack of interior space... no, I doubt I'd like the new one any more than the old one.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #162 on: 26 April 2019, 11:15 »
As for the Mk8 tech.... I like tech! Give me more tech!

Most of my Golf use is really boring driving, its not a toy. Automate as much of that as possible and I'll be a happy bunny.

I already chose my first Mk7 because of the tech. At the time it was far in advance of the competition and the standard package on the GTD was perfect for me. The Mk7.5... even more so.

No, bring it on I say.

I am a little nervous in that my next car probably aligns with the Mk8 availability.... that's going to be interesting as for sure its going to have some teething troubles which I doubt will be readily fixable - VW and their dealers don't deal with software problems too well and seem reluctant to make updates available or even documented.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #163 on: 26 April 2019, 12:38 »
I'm already looking at other cars instead of looking forward forward to the mk8. It looks odd and out of proportion and I think even the GTi or R versions won't save it. The issue is though what else is around that can replace a Dec 2016 Golf GTi PP? A last of line 7.5 GTi, last of line R, TCR? Polo GTi? Hyundai i30n performance, a35 AMG, Leon Cupra. I know it definitely won't be a focus as thats even fuglier than the mk8. Anyone with any other ideas?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #164 on: 26 April 2019, 14:08 »
I'm already looking at other cars instead of looking forward forward to the mk8. It looks odd and out of proportion and I think even the GTi or R versions won't save it. The issue is though what else is around that can replace a Dec 2016 Golf GTi PP? A last of line 7.5 GTi, last of line R, TCR? Polo GTi? Hyundai i30n performance, a35 AMG, Leon Cupra. I know it definitely won't be a focus as thats even fuglier than the mk8. Anyone with any other ideas?

Yeah, I don't think the GTI or R will save it as from what I can see they've changed basic shape massively so bigger wheels, vents, grills etc won't help in that respect.

My company lease finishes next May/June so I'd either try and buy my current one or will be looking at car allowance and purchasing something like an '18 plate S4, 440i GC, 540i as do fancy something a bit bigger next.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #165 on: 26 April 2019, 14:20 »
Its an interesting question...

My thoughts:

Maybe I30N - maybe.... there are some extra bits coming to that later in 2019 - DSG with ACC for example. But I need to drive one to see if the people who say its a bit harsh are right or not (its very subjective!). I saw one outside the pub last night, it looks lovely actually... value I suspect will fall like a stone though.

Maybe Civic Type R - maybe - I'm sure its great, but I want DSG (its manual only but offers ACC)  and I am still not sure if at my age I want a Halford's special... it is slightly extreme looking.

Things I don't want:

A Focus - its like the 1990's have come back, regardless of model or trim. I'm sure it drives well but yuk!

A SEAT - nope thats just not doing it for me. Too small, too plastic.

A Skoda - unfavourable pricing/finance rates and lack of included features makes it expensive compared to a Golf

A BMW 1 series - didn't like it so far, unlikely to like it again for a whole host of reasons.

Audi anything - I can't afford it with options and I'm not spending best part of 35k on a thing without gadgets.

I suspect that I might either end up with another Golf (maybe even a last gasp Mk7.5) or ditch the hatch thing and buy a CR-V or something

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #166 on: 26 April 2019, 14:37 »

:grin: Isn't the Leon longer than the Golf with a slightly bigger wheelbase?!
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #167 on: 26 April 2019, 14:40 »

Maybe its changed, but 2 years ago when I was looking for something to replace my Mk7 it was small inside and it was plastic.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #168 on: 26 April 2019, 17:37 »
The i30N performance has the adaptive dampers on it and i must say it felt a lot more sturdier than the golf with dcc.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2019, 08:32 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #169 on: 26 April 2019, 18:09 »

Might be longer but feels more cramped inside, Leon's A pillar lower and boot seems smaller.
I know because I used to have an FR and just had one as a loaner when my GTI was having the dent repaired after a kind old lady reversed into it!
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.