Author Topic: VW Penny pinching  (Read 4546 times)

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
VW Penny pinching
« on: 28 February 2019, 10:37 »
Hi

Picking our car up tomorrow and just want to tease the salesman a little  :grin:

We haven't had a golf since 2016 and just want a list of whats been deleted or now omitted? all I have so far is,

Underseat storage draw on passenger seat
ISOFIX covers on the rear seats
Warning triangle inside boot

Thanks
2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: VW Penny pinching
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2019, 10:42 »
I got isofix covers with mine.  :huh:

To add to your list, the frameless mirror is now a cheaper framed one.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2019, 10:45 »
I’ve never had a warning triangle in any of my Golfs.

There’s a cover over the boot side of part of the centre seatback hinge that’s been deleted.
Also the cover over the front part of the top of the engine.
A few screw top covers on the inside of the doors.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2019, 10:57 »
I’ve never had a warning triangle in any of my Golfs.

There’s a cover over the boot side of part of the centre seatback hinge that’s been deleted.
Also the cover over the front part of the top of the engine.
A few screw top covers on the inside of the doors.

I've had 9 VWs from new and never had a warning triangle. There's always a storage space for one in the boot lid mouldings. Our old Audi A1 came with one and it fits the space in the Polo and the Golf perfectly.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2019, 11:01 »
Hi

Picking our car up tomorrow and just want to tease the salesman a little  :grin:

We haven't had a golf since 2016 and just want a list of whats been deleted or now omitted? all I have so far is,

Underseat storage draw on passenger seat
ISOFIX covers on the rear seats
Warning triangle inside boot

Thanks

I'd add rubber mats in to the conversation.

If you do get them, make sure you get them from accessories as you get a 2 year warranty, not a 1 year warranty. I always wear them down where my heel pivots to brake/accelerator. They keep giving me a new set when I go in after 1.5 years and say that this shouldn't happen. They only come in sets.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2019, 11:27 »
Didn't they drop the little fabric cover on the battery too?
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Penny pinching
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2019, 12:32 »
@boardlord; have a read of of this ‘Penny Pinching’ thread from early last year too, which details most of the small cost cutting changes VW have made to the Golf;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=283066.0

Also, deletion of multiport injection on the 2.0 EA888 engine, which seems to have coincided with WLTP compliance. For those interested, there’s a lengthy discussion thread over on vwroc.com forum. With vwroc.com being a Golf R forum, the focus of in the linked thread is the Golf R, but MPI had also been deleted from the GTI 245 Perofrmance engine. Link to thread;

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30203-golf-r-2019-wltp-looses-mpi-dual-injection/

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2019, 11:54 »
Also, deletion of multiport injection on the 2.0 EA888 engine, which seems to have coincided with WLTP compliance. For those interested, there’s a lengthy discussion thread over on vwroc.com forum. With vwroc.com being a Golf R forum, the focus of in the linked thread is the Golf R, but MPI had also been deleted from the GTI 245 Perofrmance engine. Link to thread;

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/30203-golf-r-2019-wltp-looses-mpi-dual-injection/
I think it was discovered on here recently that the GPF was added and the MPI was removed from the GTI, long before WLPT, it's just VW didn't tell anybody. Different on the R though, that certainly was to do with WLPT.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2019, 14:32 »

I think it was discovered on here recently that the GPF was added and the MPI was removed from the GTI, long before WLPT, it's just VW didn't tell anybody. Different on the R though, that certainly was to do with WLPT.  :smiley:

And yet MPI remains on the Polo GTI and Tiguan EA888 3b variant of the engine, with Audi valve-lift type set-up on the inlet side of the engine to improve fuel economy via higher effective compression ratios.

Wonder why they didn't take it off the Polo too and if the MK8 will get a 3b engine variant with MPI.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2019, 13:11 »
First chance I’ve had to have a proper look at mine in daylight since collecting Wednesday. I’ve noticed a few cheap and nasty plastics, in particular under the glove box, the sides of the centre console and the plastic mouldings on the sides of the seats (where the height adjuster lever is). The whole thing flexes and wobbles like that horrid plastic that certain foods come in. Although I’m not sure if this is a cut or how it’s always been. It’s 2 or 3 notches down from the A3. Even the wife’s 65 reg Polo is more rigid there so I’m assuming some skimping is occurring.

It’s all good where it matters though. And the driving experience and amount of standard kit is just epic.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.