Author Topic: 1.4 Carb-related questions  (Read 2859 times)

Offline freezaburn

• Not said much yet
1.4 Carb-related questions
« on: 10 May 2011, 10:46 »
Gave a friends Mk1 1.4 (2005) a full service on the weekend.

I have two questions that I am hoping can get answered;
Q1. I removed the carb and noticed that the air/fuel mixture screw was turned out 4 +1/4 turns from seated (manual choke version).
      My '86 1.6 carb (exactly the same carb 25 years on!) only turn out 2 and 1/2 turns.
      Is this correct? (I do not have CO2 equipment).

Q2. Which fuse sits on the circuit that gives power to the idle stabilizer solaniod at the back of the carb?
      There car has no manual or legend for its fuse box (which is on the drivers side-console).
      I simply took power from the HT Coil since all other wires were live with the ignition off and that would haev drained the battery.

Thanks - FREEZABURN

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: 1.4 Carb-related questions
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2011, 10:59 »
Gave a friends Mk1 1.4 (2005) a full service on the weekend.

I have two questions that I am hoping can get answered;
Q1. I removed the carb and noticed that the air/fuel mixture screw was turned out 4 +1/4 turns from seated (manual choke version).
      My '86 1.6 carb (exactly the same carb 25 years on!) only turn out 2 and 1/2 turns.
      Is this correct? (I do not have CO2 equipment).

Q2. Which fuse sits on the circuit that gives power to the idle stabilizer solaniod at the back of the carb?
      There car has no manual or legend for its fuse box (which is on the drivers side-console).
      I simply took power from the HT Coil since all other wires were live with the ignition off and that would haev drained the battery.

Thanks - FREEZABURN

I was confused about you having a 2005 MK1 until I saw where you were from.

I think you'll struggle to get it setup right without a CO2 tester, it's not about how many turns because every engine is going to be slightly different and require proper tuning.

As far as your electrical question goes, I don't think I can help you, isn't the CITI Golfs electrics quite different to an original MK1?

Offline freezaburn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2011, 07:50 »
Thanks SoundIllusion.

Yes, this particular model is called a "Chico" and comes out with a Polo dashboard. (Don't know whether those models are available in the UK). Guess I'll have to get hold of a VW agent on this one.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2011, 09:55 »
Thanks SoundIllusion.

Yes, this particular model is called a "Chico" and comes out with a Polo dashboard. (Don't know whether those models are available in the UK). Guess I'll have to get hold of a VW agent on this one.

The MK1 was no longer available in the UK from 1984 onwards.  We never got the Citi golf, we just moved on to the MK2.  There are some  Citi Golfs in the UK but only because a few people imported them over the years.  You could try www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk as there are a few Citi owners on there although I'm surprised there aren't any clubs closer to you that could help.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2011, 09:58 by SoundillusioN »

Offline freezaburn

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2011, 16:12 »
Ok, as it turns out the soleniod gets its power straight from the coil's positve (+) power input (which is only 'ON' when the ignition is on).