Author Topic: Complete Novice  (Read 5200 times)

Offline benmartingolf

• GTI forum regular
Complete Novice
« on: 20 May 2015, 22:56 »
Hi all,

Hopefully picking up my new GTI in the next week or so and want to keep it looking nice. Since moving house I have nothing and want to get some cleaning/detailing bits that doesn't cost the earth.

I have been guilty of using hand car washes after work to save time before but would like to get into doing it myself.

Any tip, products would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Ben
Collect 28th May 2015

GTI MK7, Pure White, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Keyless

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Complete Novice
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2015, 23:14 »
Hi Ben

Bet you can't wait to get it now.  With your new car I'd keep it simple to start and build up from there.  Firstly you might want to consider getting some basic detailing equipment/products.  I'd budget approx £70-80 to get started with the following:

•   Wash mitt (lambswool)
•   PH neutral shampoo
•   2 x wash buckets with grit guards
•   Pre wash - snow foam and lance  - optional stage
•   Wheel mitt/wheel brush
•   Micro fibre drying towels
•   Interior cleaner/fabric/leather cleaner, conditioner
•   Glass cleaner
•   Micro fibre cloths for interior cleaning and buffing off sealant or wax
•   Metal polish for tailpipes
•   Tyre dressing
•   Protection products – Sealant, wax or both (for alloys too)

The important thing is to get into a good washing and drying regime first.  As it's a new car you might also want to do some decontamination to rid it of any fallout and tar/glue residue it may well have picked up at the port and on it’s travels.  Use something like IronX (iron/fallout remover) and Tardis (tar/glue remover).  So maybe start with the decontamination, wash and protect stages, or even just wash, dry and get some protection on it.

However, if you want an overview of a complete full-on detailing process, it would look something like the list below.  You shouldn’t need to polish a brand new car, providing the dealer hasn't inflicted lots of swirls on your lovely new paintwork, so start with just what is necessary and take it from there.  But if your interested in the full monty:

Full detail process:
Initial light pressure wash (always at a distance and 45° angle to the car)
Pre wash or Snow foam (optional) using lance or cannon
Pressure wash rinse
Wheels pre wash with wheel cleaner
2 Bucket wash (with grit guards and wash mitt - no sponges!)
Rinse
Dry - MF towels
Decontamination phase - Iron e.g. IronX and Tar remover e.g. Tardis or combined product such as TRIX
Wash/rinse/dry
Clay bar/clay cloth or clay pad
Wash again, rinse and dry
Polish (DA or hand) with polishing compound
Apply Last stage protection - Sealant/glaze/wax - can be all or just
some of these.
Apply wheel sealant
Dress tyres
Metal polish tailpipes
Dress exterior trim if required
External and internal glass clean
Interior clean

Here are some good detailing product websites:
www.wo-wo.co.uk
www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
www.waxamomo.co.uk
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
www.theultimatefinish.co.uk
www.juicydetailing.co.uk
www.i4detaling.co.uk

And a few useful detailing guide links:
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/car-care-advice.html
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewDoc&docId=5
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/generalImg/guide.gif.
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

I'll also post a few of my recommended products and I'm sure others will give you their recommendations too  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 20 May 2015, 23:59 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2015, 23:46 »
And a few favourites  :whistle:  Also check out the Top 3 Detailing Products thread to see what others rate.

Snow foam:
Valet Pro advanced PH neutral
Bilt Hamber Auto foam
Autobrite snow foam lance

Shampoo:
DoDo Juice Born to be mild shampoo
DJ Supernatural shampoo
Chemical Guys Citrus wash & gloss
CG Glossworkz
CG Maxi suds II
Poorboys super slick & suds
Valet Pro Bilberry Wheel cleaner

Wash mitts and MF cloths:
WoWo lambswool mitts
DoDo Juice Tribble mitt
DJ Wookie's Fist mitt
WoWo micro fibre and glass cloth set
DJ Fantastic Fur buffing cloths
Foam wax/sealant applicators
WoWo micro fibre drying towels
Purple Monster edgeless drying towels
DJ drying towels
WoWo wheel mitt
Wheel Woolies wheel brushes

Interior:
Poorboys Natural Look interior cleaner
Auto Finesse Total interior cleaner
DJ Supernatural leather cleaner
Gtechniq L1 leather guard

Exterior:
Autoglym Fast Glass (and interior)
Mothers Mag & aluminium polish for tail pipes
Quarts Tyre Dressing
Meguiars Endurance tyre gel
Chemical Guys new look trim gel
Chemical Guys Speed Wipe Quick Detailer
Gtechniq panel wipe
Tardis glue & tar remover
IronX iron and fallout remover
Auto Finesse Citrus Power bug remover
Chemical Guys Orange Degreaser (engine bay)
Spray bottles and spray heads

Waxes
DoDo Juice waxes
Collinite waxes
DJ Supernatural hybrid
Chemical Guys Butter Wet

Sealant:
Poorboys Ex-P sealant
Poorboys Glazes
DJ Red Mist Tropical Quick Detailer/spray sealant
Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Polishing:
Poorboys SSR polishes, SSR1, SSR2, 2.5  etc
DoDo Juice Lime Prime
Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads
Dual Action polisher

Pre wax cleanser:
Lime prime lite

Clay:
Bilt Hamber
DoDo Juice clay
DJ Born Slippy clay lube
« Last Edit: 21 May 2015, 00:05 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Wo-Wo

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • www.wo-wo.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2015, 05:39 »
Now that's what you call a detailed response!!!! Nice one Booth!

Avoiding swirls is all about the correct application of the products, so cloths, mitts and snow foam are your friend here.

The more products that can reduce friction on your paint etc the better. I would recommend a rinse aid too as it will help reduce the ammount of water that needs drying off so take a look at Halfords for Demon Shine Poor on Shine, add a bit to a watering can and then rinse.

Don't forget the wowo discount code too GTIFORUM20 and you'll receive a 20% discount.

Cheers and good luck

Neil @ wowo

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2015, 06:49 »
^^
Having tested many of the WoWo products I can vouch for their superb quality, and use these on a weekly basis.  If you're after a brilliant wash mitt, drying towel and micro fibres, you can't get much get better than the WoWo one's, and with 20% forum discount too!

Absolutely, as Neil says, minimal contact is the key to keeping swirls at bay.  And that's why you might want to consider snow foam in addition to the normal 2 bucket wash.  It's not a substitute for proper washing, but imo, it's certainly helps to shift a fair amount of dirt before you even lay a mitt on the car.  Not everyone is convinced, but I think it's a key step and one I never miss out.  That said, a proper snow foam lance or cannon and decent snow foam shampoo is an added expense.  Something to think about.

As for the actual washing method - the 2 bucket wash method is best (3 if you have one for the wheels).  A bucket for washing (shampooing) and one for rinsing. Grit guards are optional but they help to release grit embedded in the wash mitt and ensure that the grit stays at the bottom of the bucket instead of swirling around risking getting back into the mitt and therefore back onto the paintwork. 

As for the method -
Start with the wheels first using a separate mitt or wheel brush.  Then with a fresh mitt, fresh shampoo and rinse buckets, wash the car - starting at the top, wash a panel at a time, working your way down and rinsing the mitt very regularly in between.  Use a side to side action, rather than circular.  After washing is complete, rinse the entire car thoroughly (top down) making the final rinse one with an open ended hose so the water sheets off.  Then dab or pat dry (don't rub) with MF towels, which suck up a surprising amount of water.  Or, as Neil suggests, you might want to use a drying aid - spray the product onto the wet panels and then pat dry as usual - DoDo Juice Time to Dry is good one   In general, pay particular attention to water traps like the fuel flap, boot lid (open it and dry inside) and the door sills (open doors to dry off inside). Avoid washing in direct sunlight, especially if you have hard water as you can get water spots, though they'll be hard to see on a white car. 

If you get into a good washing habit this will preserve your paintwork from unnecessary swirls and marring.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2015, 06:51 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2015, 11:10 »
Cracking response Rebecca
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline nigeldodd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2018, 19:40 »
Are automatic car washes any good, or do they damage something?

Similarly - how can you tell if the manual car wash micro-businesses do a good job? (support poor people who have to get wet when it's cold)

Or should I love my car so much that I should not entrust it to anything or anybody else?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2018, 20:03 »
Love your car and enjoy the fruit of your own endeavours! Those lovely hard working people with cold hands will survive without your patronage and will live on to add swirls to a multitude of motor vehicles of owners that care not a jot....

Just a thought but if the opportunity arises I wash just the wheels, lower plastics and exhaust tips the afternoon before washing the next day. That way you get the really dirty stuff sorted before tackling the rest of the car. Not necessary but works for me.

The single most important thing to remember though above anything else is to take some lovely pictures and post your results for us to admire and you to be proud of. And why not? :smiley:

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2018, 20:32 »

Similarly - how can you tell if the manual car wash micro-businesses do a good job? (support poor people who have to get wet when it's cold)

Or should I love my car so much that I should not entrust it to anything or anybody else?

If you value your paintwork and want to keep it looking good and minimise the risk of swirls and scratches, you’ll stay well clear of any type of car wash; manual or automatic. You’ll also avoid the complementary service wash when your car goes back to the dealer for servicing / repair work, unless you want it ‘washed’ with a water in a bucket that contains the dirt from the previous service washes and a grit-laden sponge; a sure fire way of getting swirly paintwork.

The title of your thread in the mk7 section makes reference to maximising protection. The £5-£10 manual service washes more often than not will use cleaning products that not only remove the dirt but also quickly strip any wax / sealant protection off your car, so will quickly remove any protection on your car.

Love your car and enjoy the fruit of your own endeavours!

^Very good advice, in my opinion.

« Last Edit: 21 February 2018, 20:46 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2018, 20:52 »

No one can tell you if you should “love”your car so much that you should do this or that.  Only you can decided if you have the will, desire, time and inclination to look after your own car.  Your asking these questions suggests that you do want to care for it yourself. 

If you do want to keep your paintwork etc looking it’s best then steer well clear of auto car wash facilities, supermarket car washers and dealership complementary washes, and continue to read up on detailing and see if doing it yourself is viable.  It’s hard work looking after a car there’s no doubting that but it’s rewarding too.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual