Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 30582 times)

Offline luke

• I live here
  • When in doubt, whip it out!
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #90 on: 29 November 2015, 18:04 »
I was cycling to work every day to save money on fuel as have a little one on the way and paying for the house, cycling to work on a normal Wednesday morning, go across the road to get onto the cycle path, hop front wheel up, go to hop back wheel up, back wheel slides along the curb, put my foot down to steady myself, whoosh, I fall back and have a sharp pain coming from my lower leg and ankle, turns out I broke my ankle quite badly and fractured my leg in 3 places, with a total of 10 fractures, now have a plate and screws on both sides to support it, undergoing frequent trips to the hospital for scans and trips to physio, if you're a bit squeamish I'd skip these photos..

Think I'll take the car next time
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #91 on: 29 November 2015, 21:25 »
 :shocked: :shocked:  :sick:

That's terrible. Must have fallen really awkwardly.  All the best for full recovery.  Are your cycling days over for good?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline luke

• I live here
« Reply #92 on: 29 November 2015, 21:59 »

That's terrible. Must have fallen really awkwardly.  All the best for full recovery.  Are your cycling days over for good?
It was the way I placed my foot apparently, paramedic said it was just a sprain, but my foot was twisted to the right and forward, I'm hoping that I will eventually get back on one of my bikes, my consultant has said that it hasn't healed as well as it should for a 23 year old, I can stand up by myself now which is strange after using crutches to hold myself up for 8 weeks, hopefully be back walking just after Christmas if all goes well, just in time for the birth of my daughter, just glad that I'm on full pay from work
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #93 on: 30 November 2015, 16:59 »

It was the way I placed my foot apparently, paramedic said it was just a sprain, but my foot was twisted to the right and forward, I'm hoping that I will eventually get back on one of my bikes, my consultant has said that it hasn't healed as well as it should for a 23 year old, I can stand up by myself now which is strange after using crutches to hold myself up for 8 weeks, hopefully be back walking just after Christmas if all goes well, just in time for the birth of my daughter, just glad that I'm on full pay from work

I hope that it continues to improve so you get your mobility back and might enjoy cycling once again, but more importantly ready for the impending birth of your daughter (congrats btw).   :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline luke

• I live here
« Reply #94 on: 30 November 2015, 21:45 »

I hope that it continues to improve so you get your mobility back and might enjoy cycling once again, but more importantly ready for the impending birth of your daughter (congrats btw).   :smiley:
Hopefully sooner rather than later, there's only so much xbox and tv you can watch, been trawling ebay looking at cars, also found out I am quite a dab hand in the kitchen, others may disagree
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline luke

• I live here
« Reply #95 on: 28 December 2015, 01:56 »
I was cycling to work every day to save money on fuel as have a little one on the way and paying for the house, cycling to work on a normal Wednesday morning, go across the road to get onto the cycle path, hop front wheel up, go to hop back wheel up, back wheel slides along the curb, put my foot down to steady myself, whoosh, I fall back and have a sharp pain coming from my lower leg and ankle, turns out I broke my ankle quite badly and fractured my leg in 3 places, with a total of 10 fractures, now have a plate and screws on both sides to support it, undergoing frequent trips to the hospital for scans and trips to physio, if you're a bit squeamish I'd skip these photos..

Think I'll take the car next time
Bit of an update, had emergency keyhole surgery (had an epidural as anaesthetic doesn't like me), then whilst I was in surgery they had to go in and rebreak my ankle and put a bolt through to keep it together, so that adds a minimum of 6 weeks set back
1985 mk2 gti type 19 8v
2018 t roc sel 1.6tdi

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #96 on: 25 February 2018, 18:40 »
Blimey, I can't believe who long it's been since we last spoke on here.

I've been riding quite a bit. 7,000 miles last year. I've moved on from our local regular road club to the race team division of it to try and get a bit better. The last few weeks a few of us have been doing other clubs reliability rides. They are not supposed to, but often turn into a race. The last 3 weeks on flat (for Shropshire) courses, I have managed to average 21-22mph over the 60 odd miles. I'm quite chuffed with that seeing as I'm still riding my winter bike and I see Pinarellos and Rapha popping out the back of the groups when the going gets tough.

Anyone else managing to get out and ride?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.