Author Topic: Volkswagon T4 transporter question  (Read 1614 times)

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
Volkswagon T4 transporter question
« on: 04 April 2014, 21:38 »
Hi I'm looking at buying a T4  seen a few but found a van its a T4 2.5 88 bhp model, I really like the van its really clean and has some nice extras. Mileage wise its covered 170k but has a full service history and a folder full of invoices and paper work. Problem is the van was making a strange sound that sounded like it was coming from around the alternator area it sounded like a lose belt but I decided to leave it until the guy had it checked. Anyway the guy has got back to me and explained that the oil pump has failed and the garage want £1000 to replace and fit it. He has offered me the van at a discounted price but im really surprised it would cost this kind of money. Just curious if anyone has done a oil pump change on a T4 and is the garage price realistic thanks.
Golf Gti

Offline Laser1974

• Not said much yet
Re: Volkswagon T4 transporter question
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2014, 21:47 »
There a forum just for transporters,I've got a t5 2.5 130bhp they're bomb proof vans,think you're unlucky with that news,sounds a bit pricey to me.try t4 forum

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 11 April 2014, 01:54 »
They're not bomb-proof, but they are pretty strong.  The question is whether there's any internal damage to the motor as a result of the oil pump not feeding the motor the right oil pressure.

I'm trying to remember where the oil pump is on the 5-banger.  I think it's somewhere like on the end of the motor, where the cambelt etc is, so you could well be in to a full cambelt and diesel timing belt change to replace the oil pump.

Proceed with extreme caution.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2014, 22:30 »
Thanks for the advice I decided to skip on that one and I have since bought another one but this one has a few issues :sad: oil leak coming from the rear of the engine on the drivers side and indictors started playing up. I have took it on a run to Devon this weekend and its been spot on just got to get this oil leak looked at once I'm back thanks again for the advice

Picture of the new beast 2.5 tdi :wink:

Golf Gti

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2014, 22:38 »
I think transporters are a hideous waste of money. You could get through four 112 vitos before paying for one t4

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Laser1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2014, 22:46 »
Is that because the vitos would rot before you got you're money's worth out of it, I've had a vito and 3 transporters and the vw is loads better :smiley:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2014, 23:20 »
Agreed Vitos rot for fun and for no apparent reason

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2014, 22:49 »
I think transporters are a hideous waste of money. You could get through four 112 vitos before paying for one t4

If your into that Taxi look then yeah Vito all the way  :grin: but the T4 is a far better van hence why they hold there value so well unlike the T4 wannabe Vito  :wink:
Golf Gti