Author Topic: MKVI GTI Depreciation  (Read 11500 times)

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
MKVI GTI Depreciation
« on: 10 July 2009, 11:49 »
We all know we should be trying to haggle the first years depreciation at a garage if we can manage it, and we all know that as soon as we drive our car's out the garage the value immediately drops, but has anyone thought that the value of the GTI will actually not change at all by the end of the year ?

The reported 3% rise by VW in Sept/Oct, and the 2.5% VAT going back on on 31st Dec, rumoured to be more than 2.5% but i doubt it.

So the GTI's will be 5.5% more expensive by 1st Jan 2010.

As long as the £ doesn;t go nuts again or VW drops the GTI to a crazy price, the GTI's bought just now should still theoretically be worth the same or roughly the same a year on from purchase.

:smiley:

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: MKVI GTI Depreciation
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2009, 12:16 »
I can see the lower spec ones holding their value very very well for the next year or so but I think anyone who ticks more than the metallic paint option is going to loose money straight away.  Esp anyone who goes for the full monty 27k options.  The value of the extras will be gone as soon as they drive off the forecourt.  Sad but true.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2009, 12:39 »
I can see the lower spec ones holding their value very very well for the next year or so but I think anyone who ticks more than the metallic paint option is going to loose money straight away.  Esp anyone who goes for the full monty 27k options.  The value of the extras will be gone as soon as they drive off the forecourt.  Sad but true.

Ahh good point about the extra's. Never factored them in.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Jkctr

« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2009, 12:46 »
Most of those factors will not effect 2nd hand values though, its more about demand. Seeing as not many will be around on the market 2nd hand they will stay strong, once they start coming into the market the price drops. I think they will stay strong for a while, VW's usually do!

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2009, 12:58 »
I still don't understand Top Gear on this point.

The reviews of the Golf give it great marks for everything except running costs, where it only gets 8/20.  In contrast the Focus ST gets 10/20, and the text specifically says it's cheaper in this respect than the Golf.

Now the Focus officially only does 30 mpg as opposed to the Golf's 39 mpg.
The Golf is in a cheaper road tax bracket.
The two cars are in the same insurance bracket.

So where is the Golf losing points in running costs?  Is it all the expensive maintenance it needs and the Focus doesn't?  Like what?  Or is it depreciation?  I genuinely don't follow the reasoning.

Rolfe.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2009, 13:36 »
I still don't understand Top Gear on this point.

The reviews of the Golf give it great marks for everything except running costs, where it only gets 8/20.  In contrast the Focus ST gets 10/20, and the text specifically says it's cheaper in this respect than the Golf.

Now the Focus officially only does 30 mpg as opposed to the Golf's 39 mpg.
The Golf is in a cheaper road tax bracket.
The two cars are in the same insurance bracket.

So where is the Golf losing points in running costs?  Is it all the expensive maintenance it needs and the Focus doesn't?  Like what?  Or is it depreciation?  I genuinely don't follow the reasoning.

Rolfe.

Running costs can be general things like parts and labour, could also factor in things like maybe the Focus service is cheaper, maybe the Focus is generally cheaper to insure, Focus could be in a cheaper insurance group, stuff like that.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2009, 13:38 »
*Note to Kev* Learn to read a full post in future.

you already said half the stuff I mentioned.  :grin:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2009, 13:40 »
Searched the AA Rolfe, and found this..

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/running_costs/

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2009, 14:38 »
Yeah, I know the basic principles.  What I don't know is what's so expensive about the Golf to run (compated to the Focus ST) that more than counters its better fuel consumption and lower road tax?  We know the insurance is the same.

Are servicing costs really astronomical compared to the Ford?
Does the Golf's resale value drop like a stone while the Focus holds its value?
Can we expect the Golf to go wrong a lot more than the Focus?

The last one seems to be very unlikely from all I've heard, so we're more or less down to the first two.  Unless there's a major item of expenditure I haven't considered.

Rolfe.

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2009, 15:44 »
Its probably down to all the extra petrol you will be putting in, due to it being so nice to drive. :laugh:,i`ve already planned miles of uncessary driving just to run it in, so i can drive it to its full potential :laugh: :laugh:
Golfgti build quality is average at best.