Author Topic: Oil Light  (Read 2105 times)

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
Oil Light
« on: 06 January 2011, 19:47 »
Okay, not quite a Golf, but.. 6n Polo 1.4 8v CL

Done a engine flush, oil and filter change, but the oil light is still on, i've replaced the oil pressure switch at top of engine. And that still hasn't cured it?

Is the last thing i can do is get sump off and clean the pump out and sump?
** Tuned diesels - kinda like a guy with a huge cock and premature ejaculation. **

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: Oil Light
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2011, 23:22 »
Okay, not quite a Golf, but.. 6n Polo 1.4 8v CL

Done a engine flush, oil and filter change, but the oil light is still on, i've replaced the oil pressure switch at top of engine. And that still hasn't cured it?

Is the last thing i can do is get sump off and clean the pump out and sump?

Fit a gauge and check pressure but yes sounds like the oil pickup needs cleaning.

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2011, 09:30 »
Done that,oil pressure is very good.
Done cylinder compression check,thats very good.
Has a light top end rattle but most of them do,it's only the hydraulic lifters.

Light doesnt come on until the engine gets warm and you rev over 2krpm
from cold oil pressure is 45psi,then when it gets warm and you rev to 2k it drops to about 20-27psi fluctuating slowly.

Car was stood under a tree for a few months.Jonny did an engine flush with some crappy stuff so i got him to drop the oil again(CHANGE THE OIL FILTER THIS TIME!) :kiss: and do an engine flush with some decent stuff and run it up for a bit,which improved oil flow to the top end.But light still comes on.
My thinking is that there is a load of sludge in the oil pick up pipe and it wants the sump dropping and pick up pipe cleaning up.

Would be interested to know what other people think as it looks like im doing the job :grin: :laugh:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2011, 09:37 »
If the light is coming on when it warms up that suggests the pressure is dropping which could mean worn oil pump or blocked pick up.

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2011, 09:58 »
Yep the pressure drops between 20-27psi when revved over 2k but sits fine at idle.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2011, 10:04 »
Yep the pressure drops between 20-27psi when revved over 2k but sits fine at idle.

Sounds like a worn oil pump.

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 January 2011, 10:26 »
Aaah dont say that :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2011, 10:35 »
Aaah dont say that :grin:

Well if you haven't already you could try removing the sump and having a look at the pic up.  see if it's clear... if it is, then sadly Waynes bad is the only thing left really..  :sad:

Offline LowlifeDubber

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2011, 11:11 »
Well i left Jonny to do it yesterday afternoon but he was moaning about the driveshaft being in the way,so I have inherited the job round my gaff next week :grin:

Will try that 1st as it's the easiest job of the 2. :evil:

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2011, 17:39 »
Had a other look at it today, Exhaust, drive shaft is in the way, exhaust will need dropping, and drive shaft removing :(

Took the oil pressure switch out today, turned it over and oil squirted out, so its deffo getting pressure.
** Tuned diesels - kinda like a guy with a huge cock and premature ejaculation. **