Author Topic: Car covers  (Read 1178 times)

Offline dobb3r

• Not said much yet
Car covers
« on: 11 January 2021, 13:07 »
Having just washed the car this weekend I’d like to keep it clean for as long as possible, especially as I won’t be going anywhere this week due to COVID. So, I was looking at a car cover.

The car lives down my driveway but it gets moss from the house roof falling on it. Have people purchased a cover, if so which one, for reference I’m looking at this one.

https://www.carcoversfactory.co.uk/car-covers/2019/volkswagen/golf-gti/all-body-types/standard-edition-car-cover

What are peoples thoughts in general about covers!
2019 White TCR, 5 door, DCC.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Car covers
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2021, 14:08 »
I consider myself to be one of the fortunate ones as I’m able to garage my car. If I couldn’t, would I use a car cover? I don’t think I would. Considering the pro’s and con’s, IMO the con’s outweigh the pro’s;

Advantages
  • keeps the car free of moss, bird droppings etc.
Disadvantages
  • putting a cover on and taking it off - particularly if you’re doing it single handedly could be difficult, especially in windy conditions, if it’s dark or if there’s limited space to manoeuvre the cover around the car.
  • using a cover on a car that’s anything other than scrupulously clean, could result in micro scratching and swirling of the paintwork, especially if the cover isn’t secured tightly enough to prevent it moving when the wind is blowing. Similarly if the inside of the cover gets dirty and gritty, it’s not good to put a dirty cover on a car, even if the car is clean.
  • where to stow the cover if it’s wet?
  • if the car’s wet when it’s time to put the cover on, would the car ‘sweat’ under the cover?
A guy who lives near me has an Aston Martin convertible that he uses a car cover on. There’s been a number of occasions recently where the cover had worked loose and the cover and it’s tie-downs have been flapping against the bodywork, which IMO isn’t doing the paintwork any good. Makes me cringe every time I go past when the cover’s worked loose.

I’d consider possible alternative solutions to using a car cover;
  • getting the house roof cleared of moss and any other debris.
  • ensuring the car’s paintwork is well protected with a couple of coats of good quality wax or sealant with good durability. Alternatively, consider getting a ceramic coating applied.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2021, 16:14 »
Agree with all the above. Harry metcalfe did an excellent video on storing cars. He keeps a few cheap runabouts himself. From memory, the bit about covers is towards the end-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cImhs_uwrAU
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2021, 16:56 »
Would getting a lean-to type roof affixed to the side of the house be an option dobb3r?
They aren’t necessarily that expensive.

As above, car covers will potentially do more damage than moss.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dobb3r

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2021, 22:16 »
Cheers for the good advice chaps, I’ve decided against it. Ill just clean it more often 😉
2019 White TCR, 5 door, DCC.