Author Topic: Strange grinding noise. Any ideas?  (Read 13525 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Strange grinding noise. Any ideas?
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2009, 16:32 »
theres no screw holding the disk to the hub!
take one of your other wheels off and you will notice a screw holding the disk in place!

Right you are -- thanks!

Just ordered a couple from VW. Hopefully that'll solve the problem!

:grin:

unlikely to be honest - my passenger side disk is held on by the wheel bolts and I've not got any ginding noises.  Garage who swapped the disks snapped the grub screw that holds the disk to the hub  :undecided: :shocked: :sad:

Offline GregUK

• GTI forum regular
  • 2001 Golf GTI 1.8T AUM 150bhp in Diamond Black
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2009, 16:51 »
That wont be your problem as the wheel bolts hold the disc on, all the small screw is doing is keeping the disc in place when you take your wheel of.
Sounds like a transmission problem to me.

unlikely to be honest - my passenger side disk is held on by the wheel bolts and I've not got any ginding noises.  Garage who swapped the disks snapped the grub screw that holds the disk to the hub  :undecided: :shocked: :sad:

The part number for the screw is N 106 483 01.
Hmm, maybe it's not that after all then :undecided:

It's just strange that it's coming from the passenger side. Is the transmission in the centre of the car?

I had a dry CV joint on another car. It's that sort of noise that I'm hearing, yet the CV boots seem undamaged. Would they usually be covered in grease if they'd split?

Offline Phil_M

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 26 October 2009, 16:59 »
Gear box is on the passenger side, if you say the noise stops when you press the clutch in, its not going to be a cv joint.
GOLF 1.9T AGU TD05H 18G
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v218/pipmann30/GOLF%20GTI%20%20TURBO/?albumview=slideshow

Front wheel drive monster 0-60mph in under 5sec 0-100mph in 10sec

Offline GregUK

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 26 October 2009, 17:57 »
Gear box is on the passenger side, if you say the noise stops when you press the clutch in, its not going to be a cv joint.

It could well be the gearbox then :cry:

Is there anything I can do to confirm this? Does the gearbox have it's own oil supply or is there anything else I should check?

Any advice much appreciated.

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2009, 14:33 »

It could well be the gearbox then :cry:

Is there anything I can do to confirm this? Does the gearbox have it's own oil supply or is there anything else I should check?

Any advice much appreciated.
the gearbox does have its own oil which you can drain and replace but vw just specify an oil level check iirc with regard to your concern from what you say its more than likely clutch/drivetrain fault if pressing the clutch in stops the noise then its the clutch release bearing thats where the problem is you can get one fitted seperately but imho i would replace the clutch,realease plate and the thrust(release)bearing as matter of course that way the gearbox only has to be removed the once hth
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline GregUK

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 03 November 2009, 10:43 »
Just a quick update on this:

I took it to a garage yesterday to have it checked out. They reckon it's something to do with the differential -- a collapsed bearing or sheared rivet -- apparently they've seen around 30 this year with the same problem, all of similar age and mileage, on Golfs and various other VAG cars.

I'm considering my options, but it's looking like it could cost £1500+ (2/3 the value of the car) to put right. :cry:

Offline Phil_M

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 03 November 2009, 11:28 »
Just a quick update on this:

I took it to a garage yesterday to have it checked out. They reckon it's something to do with the differential -- a collapsed bearing or sheared rivet -- apparently they've seen around 30 this year with the same problem, all of similar age and mileage, on Golfs and various other VAG cars.

I'm considering my options, but it's looking like it could cost £1500+ (2/3 the value of the car) to put right. :cry:

I cant see it costing any where near that, Put another low mileage box in and your only looking at 800 tops.

Phil
GOLF 1.9T AGU TD05H 18G
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v218/pipmann30/GOLF%20GTI%20%20TURBO/?albumview=slideshow

Front wheel drive monster 0-60mph in under 5sec 0-100mph in 10sec

Offline GregUK

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2009, 12:12 »
I cant see it costing any where near that, Put another low mileage box in and your only looking at 800 tops.

The £1500 was for a brand new revised box that wouldn't be prone to the same failure, replacing the clutch at the same time, and around 5 hours labour.

This appears to be the problem that I'm having:
http://www.btinternet.com/~a_hutton/VW_Gearbox_Failure.htm

I'm going to check my gearbox oil too. Apparently, there isn't an oil level sensor as the gearbox oil isn't intended to be serviceable. I've read of a few cases on here where the oil level was almost empty due to a faulty seal. I can always hope!

Offline RnP

• Here all the time
  • Audi S4 gone, looking for b5 rs4
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2009, 13:47 »
id get a 2nd opinion if I was you mate,

just dont sound right, sounds like the input shaft needs cleaning and greasing, noise could be due to lack of oil,