Author Topic: Galvano grey Pretorias  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Re: Galvano grey Pretorias
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2021, 22:17 »
Ok silly question as I'm new to the crazy for Pretorias..

I've just checked my 2020 VW catalogue for the end of the 7.5 and they have them listed as an option in black for £995, I guess they still can't be ordered direct from VW? they must still stock them for future warrantee claims.

Looking at the eBay listing, these wheels are being sold by a VW dealership not far from me, odd that they have two new full sets plus tyres in stock.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2021, 00:00 »
You will probably be able to order them from a parts dept, but the Golf R version of the Pretoria will almost certainly be a lot more expensive than £995 for 4 wheels.

The version in the accessories catalogue is not the same as the version listed as an option in the brochure. Both the 18 and 19 inch Prets available as accessories are cast and are heavier than the Golf R wheels, which are flow formed.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 April 2021, 08:33 »
Ok silly question as I'm new to the crazy for Pretorias..

I've just checked my 2020 VW catalogue for the end of the 7.5 and they have them listed as an option in black for £995, I guess they still can't be ordered direct from VW? they must still stock them for future warrantee claims.

Looking at the eBay listing, these wheels are being sold by a VW dealership not far from me, odd that they have two new full sets plus tyres in stock.

@Rudedog; 18” or the factory optional 19” version?

Genuine 19” Pretoria’s non-accessories version (i.e. the version fitted on new mk7/mk7.5 R’s on the factory production line) are very expensive when bought from the VW dealer. This is the sort of price your could expect to pay (price is in Euros);

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/wheels-golf7-volkswagen-5-spoke-r-light-alloy-wheel-set-pretoria-19-inch-vw-golf-7.htm

It is usually the case that genuine factory VW alloy upgrades when bought through a dealer’s parts department will cost considerably more than you would pay if they’re spec’d as an option when ordering a new car - from memory, a set of 19” Prets as a factory fit option cost around £1,000, but owners who’ve needed to buy a single replacement Pret to replace a cracked / buckled one have paid around £800 for one wheel from the VW dealer. So as @Guzzle has said, a set of four genuine Golf R factory fit Pretoria alloys will cost significantly more than £995. If the dealer near you is advertising a set for £995, then that sounds like it’s probably a special offer deal on a set of the 18” Pretoria’s (normal supply-only RRP; £335.80 per wheel);

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and-drivers/accessories-and-merchandise/accessories/5G0071498AAX1/18-pretoria-alloy-wheel-black-machine-gloss
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 04 April 2021, 08:51 »
So would they also be heavier than my factory fitted Austins?
Also I note posts where people have wheels from CM wheels... is it my imagination or are they more expensive than OEM from the accessories brochure.. is it down to the way they are manufactured?
(I.e. £480 from CM Wheels). Im presuming that price is per wheel? As you can tell I’m out of my depth here.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2021, 09:13 »
Also I note posts where people have wheels from CM wheels... is it my imagination or are they more expensive than OEM from the accessories brochure.. is it down to the way they are manufactured?
(I.e. £480 from CM Wheels). Im presuming that price is per wheel? As you can tell I’m out of my depth here.

Sorry, don’t know what they weigh / whether they’re heavier than Austin’s.

The CM Wheels price is for a set of four wheels. A small point, but be aware that on some of the alloys from CM Wheels, the standard mk7 Golf centre caps may not fit, but I seem to remember reading somewhere the VW Polo centre caps might. If they don’t, then it might be necessary to source a blank set of centre caps of the correct size from a well known online auction site, plus a set of self adhesive domed VW emblem stickers to create the OEM centre cap look.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 04 April 2021, 09:19 »

CM Wheels is £480.00 for a set of 4, these are cheaper because they are cast (Heavier) alloys, and they haven't the same quality stamps or have a design cost (Since they're copies)

Volkswagen always quote for one alloy so the £995 is for one alloy so a set of 19in pretorias would cost £3,980.00. These are the 2nd lightest alloy vw make behind the belvederes.

Volkswagen 18inch Pretorias usually cost £1,200 for a set of 4.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2021, 09:32 »
Most genuine VW 18 inch alloys are of a similar weight if they are 7.5J wide. The only exception that I know of are the Belvedere's that willni has mentioned. This is because they are forged rather than cast like the other designs. The Belvedere's were the standard fit wheel for the Mk7 Clubsport and TCR.
7.5 GTD

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 04 April 2021, 10:43 »
Thanks,  again  :smiley:, for all the great information.
So.. £480 for a set of 4.. interesting.. definitely a prospect then to store my Austin’s and fit those.
I am usually an OEM person ..don’t modify anything normally, think I had the only standard Corolla gti back in the day :grin:.
Now I just need to research weights..

Offline chas.s

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 04 April 2021, 10:58 »
Thanks,  again  :smiley:, for all the great information.
So.. £480 for a set of 4.. interesting.. definitely a prospect then to store my Austin’s and fit those.
I am usually an OEM person ..don’t modify anything normally, think I had the only standard Corolla gti back in the day :grin:.
Now I just need to research weights..

Hi Pixwix
I replaced The Austin wheels on my GTi with a set of 19" Pret copies from CM Wheels. There was very little difference in the weight, with the Prets weighing slightly less. I chose the Gloss Gunmetal finish which looks very good with my Indium grey Golf (imo). My wheels from CM came with blank wheel centres & I ordered VW stick on centres which did the trick. See photos below:
Good luck, Chas.

TCR, Pure White, Black roof, Akra exhaust, black 19" Prets, DCC etc.

Gone - 2019, Mk 7.5 PP, 5 door, Manual, Indium Grey, Keyless etc

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 04 April 2021, 11:24 »
Thanks Chas.s, love the look of them ..