Author Topic: What is an inspection service?  (Read 2956 times)

steve12345

What is an inspection service?
« on: 14 September 2019, 07:39 »
So my mk7 2014 GTI gives me two countdowns in the service screen of the cars infotainment system.

The first for an “inspection” and the second for a “oil change service”. They both count down the same number of miles... c.18k or so after just being serviced. However the inspection is next due after one year and the oil service is due after 2 years.

Am I right in assuming the “inspection” is the basically the MOT?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: What is an inspection service?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2019, 08:03 »
No, an inspection service is just that. Check all fluids, belts, brakes visually. I think you get an oil change too. Intermediate is a slightly more thorough inspection service along with filter changes. Do you not have your service book or better still look on VW's webpage at the servicing section.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2019, 15:20 »
I have set my Inspection to the MOT date, just as a reminder.

steve12345

« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2019, 18:52 »
It’s just a bit confusing.

The service counter on the car states an Oil service at 2 years or 18k miles and an inspection after 1 year?

I ask because my cars last oil service was in Sept last year. So its been 1 year and the car is now asking for an inspection. But at the same time the dash board is saying we still need to cover 8k miles or another 365 days before the oil change. Makes me think this annual inspection is the MOT?

However when I sent the car to the garage (it just so happens we are now approaching 40k miles so I booked in for a DSG service) they told me it also needs a minor service, which is basically an oil change.

Looking at the service history book the car had been serviced previously every two years at closer to 18k miles roughly instead of annual services.

I have only owned the car for a few months, so I don’t fully know the history of its services other that the stamps in the book. I guess an extra oil change isn’t a bad thing.

When I got the car back from the garage the service counter had been reset. Its now saying 2 years or 18k for a oil service and an inspection in 1 year or 18k….

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2019, 19:54 »
The car is setup for long life servicing. Ask your garage to change the service interval to 1 year/10000miles service. IMHO long life servicing is not a good idea for these engines. With this, your car will need oil change every year. Inspection service is just a multi point check of brakes, shocks etc etc
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox