Author Topic: Leased GTI More Than R  (Read 2352 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Leased GTI More Than R
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2019, 15:09 »
What's the best you are finding on an R? There are deals on manual 3 door GTI but nothing cheap on a 5 door.

These are the guys I went with on my GTI

Golf R
Monthly: £280
Contract: 3 years
Mileage: 8000
Intial: £2528

https://www.leasecomparison.co.uk/personal-lease-cars/volkswagen/golf-hatchback/golf-hatch-4motion-20-tsi-300-r-3dr-dsg-start-stop-495192738

If you can get a new R for £30990 (5dr, dsg, Prets, metallic, del miles), then would it make more sense to buy one? If that lease price includes servicing, tyres and tax then perhaps not. But you are essentially paying £12,328 to rent a car for 3 years. And I can't see any 16 plate R's with 24k on for less than £19/20k but they are all pre-facelift cars which are bound to be less.

If you PCP and always give it back/never pay the baloon on it to make it yours then you are in effect leasing it with an option to buy.

That £12328 over 36 months is like a flat £342pm with nothing down. If you can beat that on PCP then PCP.

What's the going rate on an R PCP when you consider your discount as deposit against the RRP?

I'm guessing closer to £400 a month.

When I sold my R (Manual/Prets/Lapiz) at 46 months old, the dealership offered me £16k for it 2 months before I sold it for £17300.

I'd guess that a VW dealer would be offering you no more than £18k at 3 years old in px against your next one, so you'll lose £12k plus all that PCP interest (about £4k on a £30k PCP). You might make some of that interest money back in a private sale to beat the px.

Bought out of your own savings and sell privately is usually the cheapest way to get your car, followed by lease if you lay off the options. PCP can beat lease on a heavily optioned car, as they add so much more to a lease and have no value consideration to the lease company.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.