Author Topic: navigation update  (Read 1183 times)

Offline spiked71

• Not said much yet
navigation update
« on: 09 September 2019, 14:41 »
can any tech minded member shed some light on updating discover pro gen 2 system maps please, my car didnt come with sd card so how do i update it?? been frying my head for weeks, conflicting info from various dealers.
2017 clubsport ed 40    19" bresicas, pure white, 5 door, dynaudio, rear view camera, recaro buckets, winter pack.

Offline Ryanfsr

• Not said much yet
Re: navigation update
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2019, 15:13 »
The Discover Pro 2 unit does not require an SD card to function, however does require an SD card to be able to install the updated maps.

Firstly you need an SD card that is 32GB in size (or greater) - this doesn't have to be an official VW card as with the standard Discover head unit.

There are then two methods that you can download the maps onto the card; either through the Discover Care software that VW provides, or by manually downloading the maps and extracting (using 7-zip / WinRAR etc) the maps directly onto the card.

My preferred method is the latter as I've always had errors when using the Discover Care software.

The file size of the maps is considerably larger for the Discover Pro 2 than it is for the Discover unit (approx 25GB), so be prepared to wait a while if you have a slower connection.

Edit;
Once the maps have successfully extracted to the SD card, place the SD card into the card slot within the glove box and click on 'MENU' on the Discover Pro unit. In the menu 'SETUP' find the 'VERSION INFORMATION' button, and then click on 'UPDATE SOFTWARE'

The ignition must remain on for the update to happen, and because of the file size it can take up to 4 hours, so might be worth connecting a battery charger during this bit!
« Last Edit: 09 September 2019, 15:27 by Ryanfsr »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 September 2019, 18:33 »
You can drive around while the maps are updating and I've never used a battery charger when doing mine. A high speed sd card helps too 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 09 September 2019, 20:47 »
You can also use a USB stick plugged into the USB socket in the cubby hole...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC