Author Topic: Drivers Seat fair wear and tear !  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Fazermeg

• Not said much yet
Drivers Seat fair wear and tear !
« on: 04 September 2019, 18:13 »
I sat on  my drivers seat yesterday and was appalled to find that the frame was through the padding in the squab !

Now I realise that my Mk7 is now 4.5 years old and has 30k miles but it’s treated like royalty and I have had it since new. Vw answer “fair wear and tear” . My answer back was I had a 10 year old Scenic with 100k on it and the seats still worked !

Anyone had experience of this and is it an easy fix ?as I am not expecting a favourable outcome from Vw 🙄

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Re: Drivers Seat fair wear and tear !
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2019, 18:57 »
The infamous VW customer service strikes again.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2019, 20:48 »
I sat on  my drivers seat yesterday and was appalled to find that the frame was through the padding in the squab !

Now I realise that my Mk7 is now 4.5 years old and has 30k miles but it’s treated like royalty and I have had it since new. Vw answer “fair wear and tear” . My answer back was I had a 10 year old Scenic with 100k on it and the seats still worked !

Anyone had experience of this and is it an easy fix ?as I am not expecting a favourable outcome from Vw 🙄

Seriously? I sold a MK7 GTD whose seats were indistinguishable from new and it had done 38k. They were incredibly hard wearing and durable seats and other than sealing them when new with a hydrophobic coat, I think the only thing they ever needed was a vacuum now and then to pick up lint caught in the stitching lines.

Post some pictures, I am assuming you mean the side bolsters adjacent to the squab, not the central squab?

VW Customer Service standard response: 'No, what was the question?'

If you need a trimmer, I can make a recommendation.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2019, 21:25 »
I’m also very surprised to hear this. My seats are 6 years old and after 55,000 miles are like new. I’m 6’4” and do lift myself in and out to not damage the side bolsters. I scotchguard the seats twice a year and Hoover regularly. Post a picture so we can advise.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Fazermeg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 04 September 2019, 23:28 »
Thanks folks, not really much to see as from.the outside all looks well. It appears to be the foam breaking down within the side bolster that wraps around the frame, apparently quite common according to my local stealer
Will more than likely take to an auto upholstery to be repaired, planning to wait until the mk8 breaks cover to change. However if this is
 a sign of things to come may head to another manufacture whose seats last longer 🤔

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2019, 11:53 »
I've got exactly the same on my (new to me) Vienna leather drivers seat. I did think it was quite strange for the foam to break to allow the frame through but mine is visible that the side bolster is slanted away from where it should be.

Hopefully not too expensive to rectify.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2019, 13:29 »
Thanks folks, not really much to see as from.the outside all looks well. It appears to be the foam breaking down within the side bolster that wraps around the frame, apparently quite common according to my local stealer
Will more than likely take to an auto upholstery to be repaired, planning to wait until the mk8 breaks cover to change. However if this is
 a sign of things to come may head to another manufacture whose seats last longer 🤔

Think you're just unlucky. I have always resisted putting weight on to the frame or leaning into it when entering or exiting the car. I drop into the squab of the seat as a result. I've always tended to pull the seat right back to get out which makes it easier.

I've had agreement from the dealer on another issue and when referred to manufacturer for the claim, they've told me to get lost. Push them to help sort this out if they acknowledge it's a common problem.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR