Author Topic: MY19 GTI Manual - Engine Intermittently Cutting Out  (Read 7809 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: MY19 GTI Manual - Engine Intermittently Cutting Out
« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2019, 17:34 »
Try eliminating the aircon....

Either turn the climate control off and see if you can make it do it.

Or turn it on, press the "max" button and see if that makes a difference.

It obviously draws energy from the engine, i wonder if the tickover is so low that with the aircon on it drags it right down and almost stalls?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ick2006

• Just got here
« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2019, 11:44 »
I promised to keep you all updated with any progress...

Until the last week or so I haven't had a re-occurrence of the stalling.  However, after a cool May and June in North Yorkshire, the weather has now warmed up over the last week or two and the problem has returned.

Fredgroves - Thanks for your suggestion - I've tried turning off the air-con but it still happened, also I've tried fuel from different garages - again unfortunately no difference.

One thing I have noticed is that it does seem to do it more often when facing up a hill.

On a positive note, I'm guessing it's not a widespread problem in the uk otherwise there may have been replies to my post!

Also, despite this occasional problem the car is great and I'm enjoying driving it.

Offline STS-101

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2019, 23:04 »
Hi, new to the forum but not to Golfs having previously had a MKII and MK IV GTi and a MK7 R. My new manual GTi was delivered today with 300 miles on it. I’ve only driven it a further 23 miles and it has stalled 3 times, on each occasion with the clutch fully depressed whilst slowing but not coming to a stop. On one occasion it almost juddered to a stop and then restarted itself, on both others the engine stopped and then restarted without me having to manually start it.

Start/Stop was on the 1st and 3rd time but off the second. Think this sounds very similar to the OP’s issue. Hoping this fault goes away as I’ve really enjoyed driving it for the short time I’ve been in it. If it happens again I’ll book it in with a dealer and update this thread with any outcome.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2019, 10:14 »
I wonder if they have (post WLTP) backed the idle revs off to real low (which will effect CO2 emissions positively) and sometimes this causes a stall...

I suspect you haven't heard much of the problem because how many new (post WLTP) manual GTI owners will be on forums will there be? R's and GTD's are now DSG only and most people prefer a DSG GTI....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 23 July 2019, 11:09 »
I wonder if they have (post WLTP) backed the idle revs off to real low (which will effect CO2 emissions positively) and sometimes this causes a stall...

I suspect you haven't heard much of the problem because how many new (post WLTP) manual GTI owners will be on forums will there be? R's and GTD's are now DSG only and most people prefer a DSG GTI....

I doubt it's anything to do with idle revs. I have a post WLTP manual. Smooth as anything- never comes close to stalling.
Sounds like an intermittent fault with one of the sensors when it gets hot.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline GTI-Guy

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 23 July 2019, 21:50 »
I've got a sneaking suspicion this is similar to what I've got going on with my 2019 in the thread "7.5 GTI PP - Unhappy at low speed?".

On top of what I've said on that thread, my better half has complained about it stalling for no apparent reason at low speed a few times - to be honest I've taken this with a pinch of salt until this weekend while doing a pretty long road trip. I should have known better, she like myself has happily driven manual Mk5, 6 & 7 GTI's without issue until the arrival of the 7.5.

Car came within a few rpm of stalling pulling into a junction - just enough momentum to prevent a proper stall (think kangaroo). Second time was in a busy car park, dawdling around a corner at low speed & it stalled so unobtrusively that I didn't notice until nothing happened on the throttle & I noticed a "start manually" or whatever message was on the dash.

On both occasions start / stop was off.

After reading your concerns, the more I think about this the more I think it's a p*** poor map that's down to WLTP.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2019, 09:06 »

I doubt it's anything to do with idle revs. I have a post WLTP manual. Smooth as anything- never comes close to stalling.
Sounds like an intermittent fault with one of the sensors when it gets hot.

I suspect that it is a low idle combined with a poor compensation to air-fuel mix caused by warmer temperature giving less dense air.

I'll eat my hat if this isn't post WLTP buggery with the ECU to game the figures... by any chance is a manual GTI just under a CO2 bracket by couple of g/km?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2019, 09:55 »
A quick google suggests this is a global issue and affecting many cars. It would also suggest that whilst it seems to be predominantly manuals, DSGs are not immune.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2019, 14:39 »
A quick google suggests this is a global issue and affecting many cars. It would also suggest that whilst it seems to be predominantly manuals, DSGs are not immune.

It's an issue that's most associated with the troublesome 1.5TSI engine.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2019, 15:42 »
I jumped from a DSG 2018 GTI 7.5 PP into a DSG 2019 post WLTP GTI PP

There is a definitely a difference in the map with engine / DSG box.

The new car does feel very very close to stalling when coming to a stop - this has nothing to do with stop start - that is always turned off.

Also when in sport mode and manual DSG, the car will change up automatically before redline, definitely different from the previous GTI
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack