Author Topic: MY19 GTI Manual - Engine Intermittently Cutting Out  (Read 7825 times)

Offline ick2006

• Just got here
I want to say a hello to all my fellow forum members...

I picked up my new GTI a month ago - it's a standard white 5 door and I'm loving it, and have just past 900 miles.

But... the engine has started to cut out occasionally :sad:  and I wonder if anyone has had similar symptoms?

This afternoon a VW technician called, checked it and he test drove it for 20 mins or so but unfortunately he couldn't find any fault codes or other problems.  I then drove it with him there for another 30 minutes or so and it cut out twice.  It's now in the local VW garage to be checked over.  Thankfully it happened when he was there as it's difficult to prove to a garage that an intermittent fault exists.

In summary, it seems to happen intermittenty when the engine is fully warm (Water 90c, Oil over 105c) when I'm pulling to a stop, dipping the clutch and putting it into first gear to prepare to pull off again. At that point for a second or two the engine seems to shudder slightly, the rev counter moves about between approx 300 to 800RPM and then the engines stops, before automatically restarting (although occasionally I've had to restart it manually).  This happens regardless of whether the stop/start is on or off

On the US site golfmk7.com there are 15 pages of messages from people with the same or very similar problems.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Many thanks
« Last Edit: 24 April 2019, 21:41 by ick2006 »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: MY19 GTI Manual - Engine Intermittently Cutting Out
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2019, 06:39 »
Sounds like the stop start system is trying to cut in. Maybe a fault in the gearbox electronics where it's sending a faulty signal as if it's in neutral for a brief moment. 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2019, 07:38 »
As the OP mentions it happens with the stop start system disabled my thoughts are it's unlikely to be a gearbox position sensor as that signal should be disregarded when the stop start system is not active.

I've had stalling issues on older cars and it was the crankshaft rotation sensor sending an intermittent poor signal.

There seems to be a lot of comments on the US forum about transport mode still being enabled, whatever that does I've no idea.

Good luck.... I've just got a new 7.5GTI with 570 miles on it so reading this and the US site leaves me with a luke warm feeling
« Last Edit: 25 April 2019, 08:39 by Grahamt »
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2019, 10:39 »
I thought it sounded like the coasting system.... But I don't have manual so don't know how it works on that but it happens in the DSG car when you are about to stop.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2019, 11:48 »
You don't get coasting on the manual only dsg.

@Grahamt if one of the sensors is faulty then regardless if SS is on or off it could still cause the issue. If transport mode was still active then you'd be limited in revs and speed etc. I wouldn't pay much attention to US sites.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2019, 12:00 »
A manual 7.5 will auto-stop if you knock it out of gear (fully out of gear, foot off of clutch!) in preparation to stop (which the Mk7 wouldn't)

But only if all of the usual pre-conditions for start stop are met - the first one being the start-stop is actually not disabled using the button (after each turn on!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2019, 14:56 »
Good luck.... I've just got a new 7.5GTI with 570 miles on it so reading this and the US site leaves me with a luke warm feeling

No need to be feeling down about your car on this issue, I'm not downplaying the OP's experience btw who I'm sure will get this resolved, I've been on this site and looking at others for a few years now and this is the first I've come across this particular problem. VW build millions of cars around the world, there's bound to be common faults occasionally. The GTI is a great car and overall extremely reliable, in my 4 years of ownership it's had one broken wheel bearing (likely pothole damage) and a rattle fixed. Most reliable car I've ever had so far. So don't worry, just enjoy the drive :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline ick2006

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2019, 16:05 »
Many thanks for all your contributions... it's really appreciated.
The problem referred to on the US site seemingly relates only to MY19 which apparently has a completely different ECU.
In summary, auto-stop definitely was turned off - the engine cutoff isn't smooth as with the auto-stop, but instead a bit rough with the revs bouncing about for a second or two for cutting off and them immediately restarting.
The VW technician seemed quite surprised when I eventually got the  problem to occur as he hadn't seen it before.
I'm guessing it'll be quite difficult to diagnose as no fault codes and its an intermittent problem.
Anyway, the hire car they've supplied has turned up today so I'll just wait to hear from the garage. 

Offline Grahamt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 26 April 2019, 07:58 »
Many thanks for all your contributions... it's really appreciated.
The problem referred to on the US site seemingly relates only to MY19 which apparently has a completely different ECU.
In summary, auto-stop definitely was turned off - the engine cutoff isn't smooth as with the auto-stop, but instead a bit rough with the revs bouncing about for a second or two for cutting off and them immediately restarting.
The VW technician seemed quite surprised when I eventually got the  problem to occur as he hadn't seen it before.
I'm guessing it'll be quite difficult to diagnose as no fault codes and its an intermittent problem.
Anyway, the hire car they've supplied has turned up today so I'll just wait to hear from the garage.

Hi ick2006,

will you keep the thread update please, I guess there a quite a few MY19 on this forum, me included, that are very interested in the outcome, although as you said trying to find intermittant faults can be difficult.
Golf 7.5 GTI, 2019MY, DSG, Atlantic blue, 90% rear tints.

Offline ick2006

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2019, 17:28 »
Unfortunately, as expected they couldn't replicate the fault so I've just come back from the garage with the car...  :angry:

However, on reflection, the fault occurred during the Easter weekend when we had the unseasonably warm weather and the air-con was cooling the car so that may also be a factor - the temperature today when they did 20 miles in it to try to replicate the fault is only 11c.

If there is a link to warm weather and maybe the air-con then, given the current forecast, it could be a while before the fault occurs again.

I'll definitely keep thread updated with any progress.