Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142314 times)

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
Re: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)
« Reply #540 on: 06 September 2019, 09:43 »
Has that car gone already? The link doesn't work anymore  :sad:
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #541 on: 06 September 2019, 11:40 »
Jim 7.5 doesn't hang around ?  :)

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #542 on: 06 September 2019, 11:44 »

Jimmy 2 cars?  :grin:
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #543 on: 06 September 2019, 11:58 »
Has that car gone already? The link doesn't work anymore  :sad:

I want some commission!  :grin:

Yep, gone from AT but it was a perfect spec so didn't think would hang around.

Interested to see how the TCR does, around 50 odd of them new/slightly used on AT now. Might be some bargains to be had when I'm looking in May next year!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #544 on: 06 September 2019, 12:00 »

Jimmy 2 cars?  :grin:

Haha !! No, although we've just sold our house so would have been easy to do think the missus would go mental when got home to find 2 similar looking noisy hatchbacks!!

Unfortunately not me!  :cry:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #545 on: 06 September 2019, 12:14 »
Yeah it would be quite hard to hide, "what, this old thing...?" Congratulations on the house move though.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #546 on: 06 September 2019, 13:22 »
Interested to see how the TCR does, around 50 odd of them new/slightly used on AT now. Might be some bargains to be had when I'm looking in May next year!

I was in at my dealer earlier. If you want to order a car, you best do it before 31/Oct, the delays and price increases. I thought I was talking to chicken licken who was trying to hit his Q3 sales target!  :laugh: You might not be able to afford one next year Jimas they'll have doubled in value!  :smug:
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #547 on: 09 September 2019, 19:14 »

No I haven’t driven, maybe I’d hate it 🤔

Really appeals though, especially the seats and the extra Oomph! And yes Reflex is very rare and does suit the CS so well.

Reflex is a great colour and surprisingly rare on mk7’s. A shame it was discontinued.

I honestly don’t think you’d gain much in driving dynamics going from a 245 7 ratio to a 265 6 ratio DSG.

The 245 has a better torque output and gearbox and the only area the 265 engine would gain is at higher speeds under overboost conditions. I’d bet there would be little to nothing in 0-60 sprint but 0-100 might see the higher revving CS pull ahead slightly.
You’d have to be on a track to see any real world gains from the Clubsport.
Much as I love mine (manual gearbox) I don’t think it’s particularly quick, it’s fun to drive though and has a sense of occasion. It only really feels quicker than my old 230 PS PP if using all the revs.
It’s a lot more of a revvy engine than the smaller turbo unit so feels more lively than it is but you do need to drive it accordingly.

Mine doesn’t have the buckets either but I really like the standard seats. I’m sure most enthusiasts would want the buckets, they do look the part and finish the car off. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #548 on: 10 September 2019, 09:47 »

No I haven’t driven, maybe I’d hate it 🤔

Really appeals though, especially the seats and the extra Oomph! And yes Reflex is very rare and does suit the CS so well.

Reflex is a great colour and surprisingly rare on mk7’s. A shame it was discontinued.

I honestly don’t think you’d gain much in driving dynamics going from a 245 7 ratio to a 265 6 ratio DSG.

The 245 has a better torque output and gearbox and the only area the 265 engine would gain is at higher speeds under overboost conditions. I’d bet there would be little to nothing in 0-60 sprint but 0-100 might see the higher revving CS pull ahead slightly.
You’d have to be on a track to see any real world gains from the Clubsport.
Much as I love mine (manual gearbox) I don’t think it’s particularly quick, it’s fun to drive though and has a sense of occasion. It only really feels quicker than my old 230 PS PP if using all the revs.
It’s a lot more of a revvy engine than the smaller turbo unit so feels more lively than it is but you do need to drive it accordingly.

Mine doesn’t have the buckets either but I really like the standard seats. I’m sure most enthusiasts would want the buckets, they do look the part and finish the car off.

Yes, think you are right. The difference would be currently mine is a leased company car and next time I'm buying my own.  And I'm from Yorkshire. So I don't like chucking money away hence thinking the CS40 would be a good ownership proposition. And really do like Reflex so that one was a good one!
NOW - 330e M Sport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #549 on: 15 September 2019, 15:54 »
With work and holidays I didn’t get round to writing this post for weeks and weeks but a few recent(ish) experiences of going straight from a Clubsport into a demo TCR and comparing the two, both white with black roofs to even it up, out of interest.
Only my own irrelevant thoughts really but it might be something other Clubsport owners have wondered.
I’d not thought about it too much myself but I was put on the spot in a dealership when asked which I preferred after moving straight from my car to the TCR. Good question!

Like comparing a pre FL GTI PP or R with the 7.5 equivalent it was a case of swings and roundabouts.
We both agreed the bespoke bodykit of the CS/CSS looked better. The rear diffuser of the TCR looks better as does the bigger gap between the tailpipes. The TCR diffuser looks a bit ungainly from some angles but has great presence. Same with the Ed40 rear spoiler I suppose.

Inside I found I much prefer the honeycomb door and dash trims of the CS to the more intricate TCR items, but the lack of ambient LED’s in the Ed40 doors is a bit rubbish. Having said that, I do a rural commute in darkness every day and the lack of reflection in the side windows is a good thing.

I was surprised how clear the digital dials were in the TCR. They look far better in the flesh than photos. The AID was better than I previously thought. In my friend’s company car 7.5 GTI I was less impressed but this time round I was more sold on it. Having said that, once I got back into the Ed40 though and looked at the analogue dials it has to be said I do prefer them. Like with watches, it’s a personal preference between digital and old skool. Swings and roundabouts.

The seats are nicer in the Ed40 (non buckets) to my eyes but I did actually quite like the TCR seats unexpectedly. They’re not as bright as photos would have you believe.

The TCR being DSG and my car being manual skews the driving side and as I’m unfamiliar with DSG I opted for a quick passenger ride or I’d be spending more time thinking about the gearbox than paying attention to engine/exhaust sound and feel. From the passenger seat I find I can pick up little details but obviously the interactivity is lost.
From the left hand seat there wasn’t a marked difference in engine feel, the exhaust initially seemed beefier in the TCR but when getting back in the CS it actually sounded quite similar.
All just seat of the pants stuff at normal road speeds.

Two big plus points of the TCR is the amount of standard spec now BUT the car has become very expensive so it’s all been paid for up front.
The other being the brakes - not so much performance and racy drill holes but the lack of rusty discolouration on the hubs!!
Oh, and the little open door logo projectors were sort of cool and naff at the same time, a nice touch and maybe something that’ll carry over to the mk8.

This will be the only controversial opinion, despite everyone saying how wonderful DCC is I didn’t rate it.
The car still thumps as the wheels hit irregularities, it’s no magic carpet like so many posts and magazine journo scribblings would have me believe. It might well be wonderful to many but it’s not something I’d find necessary unlike so many things I’ve read, despite the 19” wheels.
Yeah, it can be a bit knobbly but I find the standard suspension better damped (but not perfect) on the Ed40. The DCC is reactive which is a bit late when you’ve already made contact with an irregularity via your tyre. Other than that I thought the DCC felt a bit wobbly in normal. It’s part of a pack if you want 19’s so I’d end up with it specced anyway. Everyone else says it’s great so maybe it’s just me. I’m very fussy about suspension coming from many years of aftermarket kits as well as standard set ups. Personally I’d prefer slightly softer springs to cushion sharp irregularities but firmer dampers keeping spring oscillations in check. The French tend to be quite good at this when they put their mind to it.

So, which is better? The TCR probably, but only just.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner