Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362756 times)

Offline Bobbydazzlerr

• Not said much yet
Be cheaper to rebuild than a new engine i would have fort good luck with trading standerds pal
Full blueflame 3inch turbo back system sports cat, pipercross panel filter, revo stage 2 remap 290 bhp 350 lbft, neuspeed short shift, heko wind deflectors, forge blow off valve.

Offline chudge

• Just got here
Hi Fossie100,

Exact same problem for myself and also dealing with Citygate VW right now.

How are you processing with this?

Thanks

Offline daveedub

• Just got here
sad to report that my timing chain tensioner has failed at 49k on my 2010 gti with full main dealer history, apparently initial diagnostics couldn't reveal the cause of failure so I had the engine stripped to determine the cause and now awaiting news from the dealer on any good will from VW...fingers crossed
Surprised that if this was a known common fault that it wasn't swapped for the revised version at the main service.

Offline SunnyGTI

• GTI forum regular
Saw a golf (TSI not GTI) in at dealers for engine replacement. Wonder if that engine had same tensioner issue...?

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Similar but different. Loads of ingo why they cause issues on the net. They have a few issues that could cause an engine to need replacment.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline jenkstwingo

• Not said much yet
Long story short, 2011 Gti, 115,000 miles, decided to finally stop working yesterday. Recovered to my local VW dealer and had the bad news this afternoon (which i was kind of expecting!!). Timing chain has gone and requires new engine. Was quoted £6,033.19. :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Seems a lot more than i have read in previous threads, initially laughed at the guy from the dealers then recovered after falling off my chair! My initial response was the car isn't worth it!!! They are valuing the car for me today and getting back to me.

Anyone got any useful advice?

Most annoying part it i was hoping to change the car in March next year!

Offline daveedub

• Just got here
sad to report that my timing chain tensioner has failed at 49k on my 2010 gti with full main dealer history, apparently initial diagnostics couldn't reveal the cause of failure so I had the engine stripped to determine the cause and now awaiting news from the dealer on any good will from VW...fingers crossed
Surprised that if this was a known common fault that it wasn't swapped for the revised version at the main service.

Got the car back yesterday after handing over £2.5k for a new engine with the dealership paying the other half in goodwill jesture and i had to have the 50k service done at same time to get the goodwill, now i have to sell it to cover the bill, which is a shame as i will have owned it exactly a year tomorrow, and other than this it's been spot on.

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
Hello, first post but to be fair, I wouldn't have found this site otherwise... every cloud and all that.

My car is currently sat at Aylesbury VW awaiting repair due to the chain tensioner being on its way out (59 plate; 79K miles). Unfortunately, even though I had warranty on the car, apparently this part wasn't covered (Cowboys @ Warrantywise - the adverts with Quentin Wilson in). 

The car is now at Aylesbury VW who have been absolutely superb throughout, fighting my corner with Warrantywise (whose policies are basically worthless) and even paying for the water pump to be replaced at their own cost!  Fantastic customer service so I'm glad I took the car to them. 

I've been lucky as the only sympton was the EML coming on straight after start up so I called out the AA before I drove it, even though it sounded fine.  Their guy knew straight away what it was when he flushed the code (P0016) and told me to look online as this is a very common fault on the TSI engine.  He also said I'd been extremely lucky as most just go without any warning whatsoever!

Anyway, that's my story!  Will now have a look round on the site :)
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
What does the warranty wise policy state? Surely the tv ad is misleading as Quentin says it covers everything!

Did you purchase the warranty with a credit card? You could always go down that route if you did....

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
The policy states cambelt and all internal moving parts of the engine, but Warrantywise are saying the cam chain tensioner isn't one of them!  I argued the toss but it didn't get me anywhere - in the end I cancelled the policy in disgust and was given a £60 consolation payment(!). Looking online, they've done the same to a hell of a lot of other people so I'm surprised they're still in business.  Never again will I deal with them or any garage that uses them. I'll put my foot through the TV next time that Quentin twit turns up advertising them!  I paid myself and picked the car up today... so happy to have it back and now have the peace of mind of a proper two year VW warranty on the work done :D
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.