Author Topic: Tyres on the GTi  (Read 8670 times)

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
Re: Tyres on the GTi
« Reply #40 on: 22 November 2009, 12:07 »
I have the Dunlops on mine and they are perfectly "OK" but not the tyre I would choose myself.  They only came 8/9  in the EVO tyre test which described them as "at the limit, from behind the wheel, it felt poor, scoring low marks on the track, yet on the road route it delivered good steering feel and progression"

I think the EVO comment explains perfectly what both Gossa and R32UK are saying above  :grin:
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 22 November 2009, 15:41 »
No ones here to scare R32 and nothing should be swept under the carpet.

Not everyone rates these tyres and I will certainly try something different but like I said on my remapped car, driven enthusiastically they handle fine and I think that's the point for 9/10 drivers, the performance is acceptable.

However I do think that this 'good advice' is scaremongering new owners into thinking they might crash because of a sh!te tyre. This debate has been done to death now so lets just conclude the Dunlops are safe and acceptable to be fitted to a GTI but people would probably prefer different if they had the choice?

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #42 on: 22 November 2009, 15:55 »
No ones here to scare R32 and nothing should be swept under the carpet.

Not everyone rates these tyres and I will certainly try something different but like I said on my remapped car, driven enthusiastically they handle fine and I think that's the point for 9/10 drivers, the performance is acceptable.

However I do think that this 'good advice' is scaremongering new owners into thinking they might crash because of a sh!te tyre. This debate has been done to death now so lets just conclude the Dunlops are safe and acceptable to be fitted to a GTI but people would probably prefer different if they had the choice?

of course :smiley:

like i said from the beginning they wont be killing anyone, its just better to be cautious rather than come across a brown pants moments. :grin:

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #43 on: 22 November 2009, 18:43 »

Of cause you have a choice, people are spending 25k-30k on there cars. Tell your dealer what tyres you want when you order, they can add a note to the order to request Bridgestones or Dunlops. Try both before you buy I did. Bridgestones all the way IMHO anyway.
2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.

Offline Saint Steve

• I live here
« Reply #44 on: 22 November 2009, 20:07 »
Safety is not the issue here as both myself and R32 have said!.When the tire starts to wear, it ruins the ride quality and tire noise in the cabin.This is nothing to do with whether you want more grip when tearing around a corner, or drive like youve been posessed!!!.
I dont track my car, i just like to have a quiet, smooth run in my car without having Dunlops ruin it on smooth road surfaces drowning out your driving enjoyment. :angry:

As tyres are not covered under VW wear policy, its recommended to change these for what gets recommended by ALOT of the mk5/6 community.

I can tell you 1st hand, had both versions of the Sportmax tyre,on 2 of my 3 carnations of GTi's and for the 2nd time, am having to change them due to Cabin Rumble.

Good recomendation from boardlord , spec something else from the factory order. Problem solved and save you parting with £400 for replacements later on.

« Last Edit: 22 November 2009, 20:33 by Phil Mcavity »

Offline yamz89

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #45 on: 22 November 2009, 23:34 »
So guys, the way i see it, after reading these 5 really informative pages, tyres are a weird subject, theres not so much a "bad" tyre as such, but more of a subject to do with which gives you the most confidence to push it. Anyone against that?

71' Beetle in Marina Blue
05' Octavia vRS
10' Golf GTi

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #46 on: 23 November 2009, 13:05 »
I say the same thing everyday in my bicycle shop; tyres are like underpants, everyone has their favourites!

Offline steven_9709

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #47 on: 28 November 2009, 19:38 »
Picked up my GTI today to find it has Continentals on it - what's the view on these?
3 door Carbon Grey DSG, Leather, Xenons, Parking Sensors, 18" Monza Shadows.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 28 November 2009, 19:50 »
Picked up my GTI today to find it has Continentals on it - what's the view on these?

good. I would take them anyday :wink:

Offline steven_9709

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #49 on: 28 November 2009, 19:58 »

good. I would take them anyday :wink:

cool  :cool: cheers
3 door Carbon Grey DSG, Leather, Xenons, Parking Sensors, 18" Monza Shadows.