Author Topic: Tyres on the GTi  (Read 8728 times)

Offline mac7

• I live here
Re: Tyres on the GTi
« Reply #30 on: 21 November 2009, 12:38 »
Like i said if you drive along normally then you probably wouldnt notice the difference.. but pushing them, they dont perform upto the standard I feel they should.. and this comes from driving lots of golfs, TDi, GTTDI, GTI, ED30, R32, MK6GTI. Like I said I didnt find much wrong with them until they were compared with other tyres. Certainly not dangerous... but I always push on with caution, something i dont feel you should have to do with a performance based car.

I'm guessing you've found they lose grip suddenly and unpredictably, rather than progressively? I wait with interest to see what my R is fitted with when it arrives.
Golf R

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 21 November 2009, 17:33 »
Like i said if you drive along normally then you probably wouldnt notice the difference.. but pushing them, they dont perform upto the standard I feel they should.. and this comes from driving lots of golfs, TDi, GTTDI, GTI, ED30, R32, MK6GTI. Like I said I didnt find much wrong with them until they were compared with other tyres. Certainly not dangerous... but I always push on with caution, something i dont feel you should have to do with a performance based car.

I'm guessing you've found they lose grip suddenly and unpredictably, rather than progressively? I wait with interest to see what my R is fitted with when it arrives.

Yep... on quite a few occasions. Makes the car very twitchy, certainly increases the fun(kme) factor :evil:

Offline yamz89

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 21 November 2009, 19:41 »
wow, 2 extra pages overnight, what have i started?!

so, Dunlops bad then?  :evil:

71' Beetle in Marina Blue
05' Octavia vRS
10' Golf GTi

Offline daviescotland

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2009, 21:52 »

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Aye looks like it. Dreading looking at my tyres... if it ever turns up....
MK6 GTI, 3 door, candy white, 18" monza shadow, Xenons, RCD 510 w "dynaudio", sunroof, rear view camera, cruise control & free servicing.
Ordered 28/10/2009. BW07 confirmed. production complete 10/02/2010. Arrived at dealers 17/02/2010. Driving on a 10 plate 01/03/2010.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 21 November 2009, 22:33 »

And this is the whole point. When I picked my car up I was gutted and drove with a degree of caution initially as i'd heard that these Sportmaxxes were dangerous etc.  However they perform fine so anyone who picks up their car and has them fitted, don't panic. Will I fit them again when they are worn? Probably not as I'll try something different and like Michelins but MY personal experience on MY mk6 is that they are fine, even good i'd say.

I had this same conversation with TT, if you haven't driven a MK6 to 90% of it's potential with the Dunlops, please don't frighten future owners by saying they are sh!t as it really ruins the whole event of collecting a new car and people then drive with limited confidence.  if you have had a bad experience with this tyre on the MK6 then please feel free to share the experience.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2009, 08:17 »

And this is the whole point. When I picked my car up I was gutted and drove with a degree of caution initially as i'd heard that these Sportmaxxes were dangerous etc.  However they perform fine so anyone who picks up their car and has them fitted, don't panic. Will I fit them again when they are worn? Probably not as I'll try something different and like Michelins but MY personal experience on MY mk6 is that they are fine, even good i'd say.

I had this same conversation with TT, if you haven't driven a MK6 to 90% of it's potential with the Dunlops, please don't frighten future owners by saying they are sh!t as it really ruins the whole event of collecting a new car and people then drive with limited confidence.  if you have had a bad experience with this tyre on the MK6 then please feel free to share the experience.

^^ Hmmm where do I start :grin: :grin:

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 22 November 2009, 09:01 »
Like I said R32, if you've had a bad experience with Sportmaxxes on a Mk6 GTI then please share. I know you had them on your MK5 and didn't like them but like I said in an earlier post, how do you know Dunlop haven't changed the compound, manufacturing etc to cure whatever earlier issues they had?

My concern is that it really ruins the collection of the vehicle as some people now think they might be a dangerous tyre. Also I think that VW would have stopped speccing them if there really was a serious issue and they certainly wouldn't be speccing them on the R (which press shots show they are).

I aint saying these are the best tyres in the world but they are far from what they have been made out and perfectly good for most drivers in most situations.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 22 November 2009, 09:25 »
Like I said R32, if you've had a bad experience with Sportmaxxes on a Mk6 GTI then please share. I know you had them on your MK5 and didn't like them but like I said in an earlier post, how do you know Dunlop haven't changed the compound, manufacturing etc to cure whatever earlier issues they had?

My concern is that it really ruins the collection of the vehicle as some people now think they might be a dangerous tyre. Also I think that VW would have stopped speccing them if there really was a serious issue and they certainly wouldn't be speccing them on the R (which press shots show they are).

I aint saying these are the best tyres in the world but they are far from what they have been made out and perfectly good for most drivers in most situations.

the problems with the sportmaxx in the mk6 are the same as you will find on any mk5 that has had them. which is why i have suggested using the search function. Like i clearly said in earlier posts if you are driving normally, then they should be fine, but push on and i think my advice to be cautious would be welcomed by anyone who has experienced the associated problems.

As for them changing their compound or tyre design.... it doesnt matter because both versions are crap.

Offline gossa

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 22 November 2009, 09:39 »
R32 you aint listening mate. Is it fair that you are scaring new owners by saying that the tyres are crap?

Yes I know you had problems on your MK5 (as did many other MK5 owners I have read) but I have them, on a revo'd mk6, I drive hard and they are fine so that is real world feedback for anyone picking up their MK6's with Dunlops fitted. My experience contradicts your claim as I definitely 'push on' in my car, probably more than most.

Also mate, how do you know that these tyres haven't been changed by Dunlop? You don't and neither do I but they might have. I respect your experience mate with these tyres on a previous car but I just think you're being a bit unfair on new owners because the 'impression' that has been given on these tyres by many people is that they are substandard and they are not.

Let's leave it that they seem to be no-ones favourite tyre!

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 22 November 2009, 10:24 »
R32 you aint listening mate. Is it fair that you are scaring new owners by saying that the tyres are crap?

Yes I know you had problems on your MK5 (as did many other MK5 owners I have read) but I have them, on a revo'd mk6, I drive hard and they are fine so that is real world feedback for anyone picking up their MK6's with Dunlops fitted. My experience contradicts your claim as I definitely 'push on' in my car, probably more than most.

Also mate, how do you know that these tyres haven't been changed by Dunlop? You don't and neither do I but they might have. I respect your experience mate with these tyres on a previous car but I just think you're being a bit unfair on new owners because the 'impression' that has been given on these tyres by many people is that they are substandard and they are not.

Let's leave it that they seem to be no-ones favourite tyre!

Wouldnt you rather know about an issue that brush it under the carpet?? this is a forum where people share information.... are you suggesting we keep the negative points about the car to ourselves??

Like I said (im not sure of your history of cars) but I have driven 4 different Golf for a period of time and always found the Dunlops to be inferior tyres, which directly affected the way the car handled when pushing on in the dry.

Like yourself, I thought the tyres were ok until I changed them for another brand. Have you tried a MK6 on different tyres?? I suggest you do before passing them off as easily upto the job. No offence of course pal but if you have only had 1 type of tyre on you MK6 then you really dont have any form of comparison. For what its worth I have had the Potenzas and Dunlops on my MK6 and I stand by my original opinion.

certainly not here to scare, just to inform :smiley: