Author Topic: Plymouth what's it like?  (Read 2353 times)

VW BUSH

Re: Plymouth what's it like?
« Reply #20 on: 17 August 2014, 19:30 »
So official offer comes in....

3.5k less than I am earning now: -1
No Car/allowance, got that already: -1
Health care, got that already: 0
Share option, have not got that: +1
Pension, got that: 0
Relocation: 8k

So after the agency spin I stand to gain a share option over my current job, so its down to lifestyle change and nowt else :undecided:
It Is a very good/safe company but I would not be able to decide on how I do my work, with what suppliers, or to try new things. All decisions come from America and my skills are in design/development for manufacture, continual improvements, mass production and selection of suppliers etc etc.
So I would just be ordering from a list and writing time plans and asking others to put it together like a wardrobe from Ikea.

Probably a really bad decision but its not the right job for me to relocate, If I get bored at work I lose interest fast.
I might have a really nice home in a nice part of the world but a job I would hate :undecided:

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 18 August 2014, 19:34 »
If your still looking areas to avoid
Efford, ham, swilly, eggbuckland, keyham, if you can afford it I'd stay away from devonport, stonehouse, all round the dock yard.

Places that are nice
Manamead, st Jude's, estover (ish), leigham, plymton, plymstock, roughbough, thornbury, anywhere that isn't near the centre of town
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

VW BUSH

« Reply #22 on: 18 August 2014, 19:55 »
Thanks, still 50/50 on this.
looked at Ivybridge and Tavistock but as you say the further away from Plymouth the more expensive it gets....
Had a nose around St Budeax through to the dock area and to be honest it was a hovel that was full of Chavs although a lot of redevelopment was evident at a good price :undecided:

Reckon its probably not right for me and I am having difficulty with getting my flat valued at what I need to make a good deposit without spending on a new kitchen and redecorating :angry:
Also probably bottling it a bit, from Brixton London to Brixton Devon is a world apart :grin:

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 18 August 2014, 20:16 »
Is your offer from BD? Sounds like it, the only large Americanised manufacturer in Plymouth that I know of.

Plymouth certainly is a very long way from anywhere else. I have family and friends around Reading and the weekly drive up was a chore. When my Nan was ill an hour visit in hospital was a full day with traveling, especially in the summer.

Do what is right for you. The life style choice is a definite plus I have to say. The people are very friendly (except on Union Street at 3:00).

Maybe take a weekend out and stay down there to get a proper feel for the place?

VW BUSH

« Reply #24 on: 18 August 2014, 21:02 »
Is your offer from BD? Sounds like it, the only large Americanised manufacturer in Plymouth that I know of.

Plymouth certainly is a very long way from anywhere else. I have family and friends around Reading and the weekly drive up was a chore. When my Nan was ill an hour visit in hospital was a full day with traveling, especially in the summer.

Do what is right for you. The life style choice is a definite plus I have to say. The people are very friendly (except on Union Street at 3:00).

Maybe take a weekend out and stay down there to get a proper feel for the place?
hehe yeah might  be...
Stayed down there a couple of weeks back two weekends on the trot, have family up in north Devon/Torrington area so I like the moor and all the beaches.
Normally I just go for it, make a decision and to hell with it but I just cant seem to do it this time.
Probably means its not a good omen.
The guy in charge is a really nice bloke and I would feel like a dick wasting his time but I am going to sit on it this week and decide by Thursday :lipsrsealed:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 18 August 2014, 21:24 »
If your still looking areas to avoid
Efford, ham, swilly, eggbuckland, keyham, if you can afford it I'd stay away from devonport, stonehouse, all round the dock yard.

Places that are nice
Manamead, st Jude's, estover (ish), leigham, plymton, plymstock, roughbough, thornbury, anywhere that isn't near the centre of town

It's not Swilly anymore, it's North Prospect!  :grin:  And I don't know how long it's been since you were there, but Estover and Leigham aren't particularly nice places anymore either.  Although St Budeaux isn't as bad as it once was, it's still a bit of a dive and as said, full of chavs!
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 18 August 2014, 22:50 »
Swilly or north prospect... Either way I'd avoid if you like to keep your wheels! Leigham and estover ain't that bad I grow up in leigham, still got family there now. St budeaux and devonport is getting better they have the new developments going there trying to improve the area but it's gonna be a while, same as all round mill bay docks area, home to plymouths finest females offering services at a cheap price if you catch my drift, all being done up trying to improve down town Plymouth
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 August 2014, 14:57 »
Yeah fair one.  My house I rent out now is in Thornbury (posh part of Estover)  :grin:   I moved away almost 3 years ago now, and every time I go back for an inspection or to do some work, the area seems to have gone downhill.  It's a shame as it was such a nice community when we moved there. 
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |