https://youtu.be/N2DFJDR_0pg

Two different but similar products
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Salt.
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2021, 00:29 »
Thanks to all-useful thread as I’ve been considering what to do. He mentions acf50 but has just used this normfest cavity wax product from eurocarparts- which he says is good. He also says you don’t need a ramp. I’ll manage the 205 with trolley jack though I may struggle with the golf
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Spittfire

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2021, 01:00 »
It was just prior to Highways salting the roads last year that I decided to garage my car and buy a cheap as chips reliable runabout to get me through the winter. Theres nothing worse than having an oncoming gritter lorry pass you and pebbledash your pride and joy :angry: Managed to buy and insure a 2006 Mini for the daily commute for around £1200. Bit excessive maybe but I must admit, my OCD cleaning fetish has been kept at bay knowing the road salt isn't eating my car alive. I may end up keeping it and running it into the ground just for my mental wellbeing  :smiley:
2014 GTD DSG Carbon Grey (Stolen)
2018 GTI PP DSG Isaac Blue, Brescias (Sold)
2020 GTI TCR Pure Grey (Sold)
2018 GTD DSG Indium Grey (Current)

Ex: Clio Williams2, GTI MkIII, GTI MkIV, Audi TT, GTD MkV, A3 S-Line, GTD Mk6, GTD Mk7, Evoque, GTI PP, BMW 320 Touring

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2021, 22:57 »
Much as I love a shiny clean car, I also love the look of a sporty car when it’s covered in road salt giving it a mean and battle ready look.

I do believe I have now achieved this look...  :grin:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2021, 22:00 »
In the days before car manufacturers applied much - if any - corrosion protection to their cars on the production line and professionally applied Dinitrol and Ziebart rustproofing treatments were very popular, I used to use the DIY version - Waxoyl. I’d liberally coat the underside, under the wheel arches and wings and inject the internal cavities of any new or nearly new car I bought with Waxoyl. The strong solvent smell was pretty unpleasant for a few days after application but it seemed to do a pretty decent job of stopping corrosion. By coating the underbody suspension parts too, there was never an issue with seized or rusted bolts or fixings if any underbody parts ever needed removing / replacing. I’d usually apply a top up application after a couple of years just for good measure. 

Was this DIY rustproofing effective? Well, I saw one of my previously owned cars that I’d given the Waxoyl treatment to many years after I’d sold it. The bodywork still looked in great condition, with none of the usual front wing, wheel arch lip and sill corrosion that was very common and typical of cars of a similar age. So I’d say yes, it was effective but as with most DIY corrosion protection products, how effective they are will depend on how well and thoroughly they’re applied.

I remember my Dad doing this with any car he bought, first weekend of ownership it was up on a set of ramps and given the Waxoyl treatment, boy did it stink afterwards!

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2021, 22:18 »
In the days before car manufacturers applied much - if any - corrosion protection to their cars on the production line and professionally applied Dinitrol and Ziebart rustproofing treatments were very popular, I used to use the DIY version - Waxoyl. I’d liberally coat the underside, under the wheel arches and wings and inject the internal cavities of any new or nearly new car I bought with Waxoyl. The strong solvent smell was pretty unpleasant for a few days after application but it seemed to do a pretty decent job of stopping corrosion. By coating the underbody suspension parts too, there was never an issue with seized or rusted bolts or fixings if any underbody parts ever needed removing / replacing. I’d usually apply a top up application after a couple of years just for good measure. 

Was this DIY rustproofing effective? Well, I saw one of my previously owned cars that I’d given the Waxoyl treatment to many years after I’d sold it. The bodywork still looked in great condition, with none of the usual front wing, wheel arch lip and sill corrosion that was very common and typical of cars of a similar age. So I’d say yes, it was effective but as with most DIY corrosion protection products, how effective they are will depend on how well and thoroughly they’re applied.

I remember my Dad doing this with any car he bought, first weekend of ownership it was up on a set of ramps and given the Waxoyl treatment, boy did it stink afterwards!

Yes, it did have a distinctive smell for a few days afterwards. Fortunately it was short lived though and when it had gone, you could smell that new car smell again.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2021, 09:09 »
Small and frequently washes, and coat the underneath with XCP (Better than ACF-50). That's all you need really, if it starts to rust it would have rusted regardless.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2021, 09:17 »
Small and frequently washes, and coat the underneath with XCP (Better than ACF-50). That's all you need really, if it starts to rust it would have rusted regardless.

Exactly what I do, might try that stuff Volkswizard used though. Looks good stuff...

Anybody else tried it?
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1