Author Topic: New night blue GTD arriving in March-help needed  (Read 6711 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: New nightshade blue GTD arriving in March-help needed
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2017, 12:02 »
Thanks for the all the replies, I now have a list of must haves to get for day to day upkeep after I get it detailed. I will get some sort of ceramic coating put on it but I suppose which one I use depends on which detailer I use, just looking into ones around my area at the minute.

As for ceramic coatings, how good are they at reducing swirl marks from washing/drying? Would it work with a jet black iPhone 7+?

Ultimately they are only as good as your wash technique. If you use a good pre wash / snow foam and pressure wash dirt off, followed by the 2 bucket method with a good wash mitt and finally dry with a large good quality towel - then the chancing of swirling have dropped considerably.

I am not sure i understand what you are asking regarding an iPhone 7 + ?

The iPhone 7 in jet black is very prone to micro abrasions and I was wondering if it would help protect it.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: New night blue GTD arriving in March-help needed
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2017, 12:09 »
Thanks for the all the replies, I now have a list of must haves to get for day to day upkeep after I get it detailed. I will get some sort of ceramic coating put on it but I suppose which one I use depends on which detailer I use, just looking into ones around my area at the minute.

As for ceramic coatings, how good are they at reducing swirl marks from washing/drying? Would it work with a jet black iPhone 7+?

I think ceramic coatings can vary greatly.  Something like Gtechniq Crystal Serum (which purportedly lasts up to 7 years!) is different to some other coatings in that it forms a bond with the paint/clearcoat at the substrate level thus becoming the new base to the point where it is for professional application only, and can only be removed by wet sanding, whereas most other coatings can be machine polished off.  By all accounts supposed to be more resistant to swirls and scratches than some other coatings.

Whatever coating you choose, the greatest risk of swirls and scratches comes from regular washing, drying and application of protection.  Therefore developing a good, safe technique for these processes is important. The more 'touchless' the better, so use of snow foams and/or other pre-wash solutions can reduce the amount of necessary contact, leaving the main contact with the paintwork being the bucket/mitt wash, and the drying phase.  Even with drying you can reduce contact by usiing an air dryer, should you wish too, but a careful dabbing technique, as opposed to rubbing) with a towel will minimise swirls.  And most importantly making the final rinse one done using a open ended hose (no jet washing lance or spray head attached) will  make the water sheet off the car, leaving the minimum amount of standing water for the drying towels to mop up.   Similarly when applying anything protection wise to the car, such as Quick Detailers, top coat sealants and waxes, careful and gentle application and buffing is key to avoiding marking the paint, and good quality applicators and buffing cloths can help a great deal.   All these precautions and measures aid the reduction of inflicting swirls and scratches, thus prolonging and preserving your paintwork.

In terms of applying a coating or sealant to your gloss black iphone 7, yes you can apply it just as you would to the plastics on your car.  I know a number of people, myself included, who use automotive coatings (like of C2v3, C1 etc) on other stuff including household stuff - bathroom stuff, kitchen surfaces, music speakers etc.  I applied C2v3 to my white gloss kitchen units when had a new kitchen fitted last year and to the ceramic hob.  I've got a gloss black iphone 7plus but haven't put any on it yet, but next time I have the spray out, probably will, lol.  I don't think it will stop it scratching but will proably make it easier to keep clean.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 12:12 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2017, 14:25 »

I think ceramic coatings can vary greatly.  Something like Gtechniq Crystal Serum (which purportedly lasts up to 7 years!) is different to some other coatings in that it forms a bond with the paint/clearcoat at the substrate level thus becoming the new base to the point where it is for professional application only, and can only be removed by wet sanding, whereas most other coatings can be machine polished off.  By all accounts supposed to be more resistant to swirls and scratches than some other coatings.

Whatever coating you choose, the greatest risk of swirls and scratches comes from regular washing, drying and application of protection.  Therefore developing a good, safe technique for these processes is important. The more 'touchless' the better, so use of snow foams and/or other pre-wash solutions can reduce the amount of necessary contact, leaving the main contact with the paintwork being the bucket/mitt wash, and the drying phase.  Even with drying you can reduce contact by usiing an air dryer, should you wish too, but a careful dabbing technique, as opposed to rubbing) with a towel will minimise swirls.  And most importantly making the final rinse one done using a open ended hose (no jet washing lance or spray head attached) will  make the water sheet off the car, leaving the minimum amount of standing water for the drying towels to mop up.   Similarly when applying anything protection wise to the car, such as Quick Detailers, top coat sealants and waxes, careful and gentle application and buffing is key to avoiding marking the paint, and good quality applicators and buffing cloths can help a great deal.   All these precautions and measures aid the reduction of inflicting swirls and scratches, thus prolonging and preserving your paintwork.

In terms of applying a coating or sealant to your gloss black iphone 7, yes you can apply it just as you would to the plastics on your car.  I know a number of people, myself included, who use automotive coatings (like of C2v3, C1 etc) on other stuff including household stuff - bathroom stuff, kitchen surfaces, music speakers etc.  I applied C2v3 to my white gloss kitchen units when had a new kitchen fitted last year and to the ceramic hob.  I've got a gloss black iphone 7plus but haven't put any on it yet, but next time I have the spray out, probably will, lol.  I don't think it will stop it scratching but will proably make it easier to keep clean.

Thanks, great information there, also I never knew about the dabbing the towel until last week when I looked at you guide so thanks for that.

What would you recommend as the best coating to go with for my case?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2017, 18:40 »

Thanks, great information there, also I never knew about the dabbing the towel until last week when I looked at you guide so thanks for that.

If I were in your position with some of the challenges you have with a lack of space to wash your car etc, and to make life as easy as possible for yourself, and keep the routine maintenance manageable, and was going for a pro detail, I would go for Gtechniq Crystal Serum combined with Exo on top to give added hydrophobicity. It's a well tried and tested combination. Then perhaps stick with the Gtechniq family of compatible products that you can apply regularly to refresh at maintenance washes, such as C2v3 amongst others.  It won't be a cheap job but a very good long term investment.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

mattwilko92

« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2017, 20:39 »
Yeah you can't go wrong with Gtechniq products to be honest!

I also have a jet black IP7+ next time my c2v3 is out ill give it a coating  :grin:

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 January 2017, 21:10 »

If I were in your position with some of the challenges you have with a lack of space to wash your car etc, and to make life as easy as possible for yourself, and keep the routine maintenance manageable, and was going for a pro detail, I would go for Gtechniq Crystal Serum combined with Exo on top to give added hydrophobicity. It's a well tried and tested combination. Then perhaps stick with the Gtechniq family of compatible products that you can apply regularly to refresh at maintenance washes, such as C2v3 amongst others.  It won't be a cheap job but a very good long term investment.

How much do you think it would cost(approximately) to have that done? The more I look into this detailing it would seem that Gtechniq is the way ahead. Their products for everything including even dash and seats seem really good. I think I may need to review my spending limit for all this though, a well.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 10 January 2017, 23:00 »
In conjunction with a new car detail, for Gtechniq CS and Exo, at an accredited Gtechniq detailed,  I think you'll be looking in the region of £600-700.  Where are you planning on getting it done?  Have a look on some reputable detainers websites and you should get an idea of what's on offer and prices.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2017, 08:50 »
In conjunction with a new car detail, for Gtechniq CS and Exo, at an accredited Gtechniq detailed,  I think you'll be looking in the region of £600-700.  Where are you planning on getting it done?  Have a look on some reputable detainers websites and you should get an idea of what's on offer and prices.

I'm still not sure about where I'm getting it done yet, still looking. From the looking I have done it is looking like it's going closer to £1000 than £500 but that is fine with me if it is going to last the 2-3 years I have the car.

As for what you said earlier about using car products in the house, I use Rain-X on the shower glass but I will be using something on the kitchen units in the near future to try and keep down the fingerprints.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2017, 20:06 »
Right so to revive this thread, as you may have read over on the main Mk7 section my car came with some lovely swirls and a scratch. To cut a long story short I'm getting a two day detail and correction paid for along with car hire so happy days.

I'm paying the extra ontop for a coating and Barry at Auto Detox has suggested I use Gyeon MOHS or Nanolex Si3d because I will be only keeping the car until later next year.

Which of the above two would you recommend?