Author Topic: harness advice  (Read 22507 times)

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
Re: harness advice
« Reply #20 on: 22 June 2010, 12:28 »
Since I need my seat to move, SWIMBO is under 5" and I am over 6", and rise as it does so I fabricated a set of inclined runners using a decent gauge of steel that bolts flat to the floor behind the seat and then, using shaped spacers, rises up to mount on the OEM bar in the footwell.  This gives me an inclined, but flat, surface to mount the OMP runners to and then the seat fits to the OMP runners.  The bolts fit through spreader plates under the floor to give the security necessary.  This allows the seat to slide forwards and rise as it does so that SWIMBO can actually see out of the windscreen!  I did have to fit additional eyebolts as when fully forward the angles created by my mounting points were outside that specified in the "Blue Book" and so when SWIMBO drivesI will move the lap belt and crutch strap mounting points.  Easily done and got me a few brownie points.

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #21 on: 22 June 2010, 12:39 »
cheers guys its all making sense now like i say building a bangerstox is less involved so all good pointers there so far

i am quite a good welder so should be able to knock most of that up my self i have seen a design for the cage so if it doesnt blow up on first outings that will be next step also have just picked up some subaru bucket seats cheap :smiley:

its all stripped now just dash and 2 front seats left

not to sad for £130 sold some of interior already so price is coming down lol
also just got some avon ab 10s think my m8 has kindly given me  :wink:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #22 on: 22 June 2010, 12:41 »
If you can get to Castle COmbe on Friday there's trackday going down for £145 and a few places have become available. Myself, Paul and VeedubGTI16v will be there.

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #23 on: 22 June 2010, 13:15 »
If you can get to Castle COmbe on Friday there's trackday going down for £145 and a few places have become available. Myself, Paul and VeedubGTI16v will be there.

i would like to m8 but is a fair trek for me plus i will be trailering the car were eva i go i need to get some track time i think before i got there lol

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #24 on: 22 June 2010, 13:18 »
Fair enough, just thought I'd mention it :o)

nick

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #25 on: 22 June 2010, 13:19 »
Fair enough, just thought I'd mention it :o)

nick

much apprieacted m8 i will keep castle in mind just like to get the car half right on a local track

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 22 June 2010, 13:52 »
A welder in heren Bay hey!  :scratchchin:

I am trying to buy a house in Eastry for the familly to settle, we'll be practically neighbours!  I should have a nice lathe and workshop set up so we might be able to colaborate, if needed.  (read into that what you will, but i am thinking of getting a proper cage fitted and if you can weld........)  :rolleyes:

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #27 on: 22 June 2010, 13:54 »

I am trying to buy a house in Eastry for the familly to settle, we'll be practically neighbours!  I should have a nice lathe and workshop set up so we might be able to colaborate, if needed.  (read into that what you will, but i am thinking of getting a proper cage fitted and if you can weld........)  :rolleyes:

sounds like a plan lol im just finding out how much tube size and thickness ect i need for cage i got pipe bender and a grinder so should be cool lol

Offline JonLeeper

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 22 June 2010, 14:10 »

sounds like a plan lol im just finding out how much tube size and thickness ect i need for cage i got pipe bender and a grinder so should be cool lol

OHHHHHH you have a pipe bender!  :grin:  We may have a plan, where you thinking of 6 points or more?

Offline leeroy20vt

• I live here
  • h reg mk2 gti
« Reply #29 on: 22 June 2010, 14:16 »

OHHHHHH you have a pipe bender!  :grin:  We may have a plan, where you thinking of 6 points or more?

erm probs just a six altho the one i have goes thru to top strut mounts on the front