Author Topic: Track time @ Brands Hatch @ Prept.  (Read 15859 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Track time @ Brands Hatch @ Prept.
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2009, 12:02 »
Once it's all sorted with costs etc I'll look at booking the afternoon off and go from there. I'll keep ya posted.

nick

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2009, 12:03 »
santa pod does more damage to your car than trackdays do, you just wear out more consumables on track

Indeed, drag strips are super grippy which is what destroys clutches and gear boxes.

20 mins on Brands hatch is not going to be much more wear and tear than a few weeks of hooning about on public roads.

nick

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2009, 12:30 »
While I think that driving on a track does use *somewhat* more in the way of consumables than driving on a road (although I must stress that I take it real easy and hold traffic up on both) I think there is an awful lot of unnecessary worrying about wear to the car here and more so on E38. 

As Nick's said - Santa Pod is super-grippy, but people are also doing standing starts on it - huge loads on their cars and lots of resultant failures.

The second biggest risk with a track day is not mechanical failures, it's talent failures, which can and do occur at speed and when trying to change direction (unlike on a strip).

To be totally honest, if you can't afford to risk what you have by taking it on a track, then don't.  These short sessions are more likely to tempt people with VERY poorly prepared cars, which are far more likely to fail, or vomit fluids on the track. 

The other people out there on a track are your biggest risk, second only to going out and finding your talent bucket unexpectedly empty mid-bend.

That said, I took my Passat out for a lap of the 'ring with the kids and wife in it and I was using it as the tow car on that trip, too.  Eggs? Basket? Eh?  That was only when the track was quiet and I'd just come back from a previous risk, so had a pretty good idea about what was going on out there.  Still, not something I'd be keen to do again!
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline barry-gti

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2009, 12:51 »
Tempting. . . let us know if your going to come on down. I reckon I could talk Bav and Barry into it :D

Lol. u know be so well...

...if my car wernt still a boat i'd be very very very tempted lol

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2009, 16:43 »
Well it's confirmed as 26th August. £25 for a 20 min session or £99 for the whole evening.

I'll be booking a half day and heading down me thinks. I'll probably just splash out on 2 sessions as I'll want to do some photography as well while I'm there.

Nick

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2009, 19:21 »
sucks that its a novice evening.
i might book a session though and hope they dont check the reg's for people who have driven there more than twice

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2009, 19:29 »
From what I understood they had to set it up as one but regulars are welcome to.

nick

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #17 on: 22 June 2009, 19:31 »
ill give them a ring. id like to do the whole evening really, its not often theres a vw only trackday!

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 22 June 2009, 19:41 »
Quote from original forum

"100 odd is a lot to take the car for a spin round a track because none of ours are really up to the job. After about three decent laps even uprated brakes that we run on our daily / show cars will start to fade and we dont generally want to be pushing our cars that hard for lap after lap (speaking for the majority i think?)"

Well the money he paid for his uprated brakes was a good investment then !!

If you don't want to go then don't go - don't make up stupid excuses.

10 minutes on E38 to read the original thread was enough for me.

Paul

Offline BaV

• I live here
  • 2001 Golf GTI 1.8T AUM
« Reply #19 on: 22 June 2009, 23:06 »
Tempting. . . let us know if your going to come on down. I reckon I could talk Bav and Barry into it :D

Mate you should know me better by now! You do not have to talk me into anything concerning track time of any description! i am definately up for doing a couple of sessions. Wouldnt want to do all evening because moneys too tight and want to soak up the atmosphere and take some pics!

Im too tired to make an account on e38 tonight so will do it tommorow to read about it all.

When can we book it?