Author Topic: New V.A.G. Racing Series  (Read 11804 times)

Offline JamesW

• GTI forum regular
Re: New V.A.G. Racing Series
« Reply #20 on: 16 February 2009, 09:12 »
choudl some one point us to the new regs then. 

i'm getti ng inpression choudl rock up with a mk1 or two with a modifyed 16s engine in it.      that just blew the low budget out the window.   

If you email vagtrophyinfo@aol.com they will be able to send you the info.

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 16 February 2009, 21:00 »
You can use a modified 16v, but the more modifications you run, the more weight you have to run so the Power to Weight ratios stay the same regardless of weather you go low weight, low power (cheap) or high power high weight (more expensive).

For example a Mk2 with a standard 16v engine will run significantly lighter than a Mk2 with a highly modified 16v engine.

So the guy with a very highly modified 16v motor and pots of cash isn't going to have an advantage over the shoe string racer.

Should make fantastic racing because you will get some cars that are very quick in a straiht line, but slow in corners so there should be lots of overtaking.

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 19 February 2009, 21:51 »
Check out this old VW racing footage.....it will be mega if we can do this again in 2009 in V.A.G. Trophy.

Just goes to show that low bhp/low weight (cheap) can compete with high bhp/high weight (expensive)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2YOjIaN880

IMO best race ever in VW Cup history!

Offline re2

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2009, 12:52 »
so if im reading this right, I could have a competative jetta with more power to compensate for the boot

??

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2009, 22:11 »
Yes, that is correct, provided you can get down to the weight limit for the engine/level of tune that you are running to.

If you contact the organisers there are a few incentives to get involved now.....it is now very very cheap to dip in and have a go!

Offline smoky boy

• Just got here
« Reply #25 on: 05 April 2009, 20:26 »
hi ian ,chris adams ex vw cup geezer!! am building mk2 golf with 2.0 tdi engine for vag trophy,just seen updated regs so car is now eligible!!woo hoo!! ran engine in 4 motion mk5 golf but car weighed just under 1400kg so was a bit on the sluggish side to say the least!! what would weight have to be for 200bhp?? and is there a limit on torque? ta mate

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 01 July 2009, 22:56 »
Hi Chris, I have only just noticed this....yes there is a new class now which caters for the more modified engine.

Are you going to get out this year?

I am taking out my road car for a bit of fun.....need to race something.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 02 July 2009, 12:00 »
surely there is an advantage to be had by building an enigne with a relativly low output, even mappuing it to make less power  but make X bhp very soon on and just hold , if you have a light car. as it's area under the graph not peacks that count
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 04 July 2009, 22:17 »
Yes, that is correct, utilizing a low weight car with low levels of engine tune does provide a better spread of power, but generally the lower weight cars that can take advantage of this are the ones that cannot fit in the wider tyres that the big torque engines require....so it all balances out at the end of the day.

Offline DaveSurf

• Not said much yet
  • 20v 1.8 T
« Reply #29 on: 18 August 2009, 09:00 »
Is this series going to be running in 2010?

I have a standard mk4 golf gti 51 reg. Whats the minimum changes I could do to get it in to the series for next year? I have read the regs but they are a little confusing for a newbie.

Would it be easier and cheaper to start from a mk2?
FOR SALE - Mk4 Golf Gti Reflex Silver 5 Door £2400 ono ***new price *** - OPEN TO OFFERS (see for sale section)

Sleeper - tweaked by R-tech and goodies from Forge!