Author Topic: New V.A.G. Racing Series  (Read 11792 times)

Offline Chris Eyre

• Not said much yet
Re: New V.A.G. Racing Series
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2009, 22:53 »
No...you can run it with standard intake, heads cams...basically Mk2 series spec engine and gearbox.

In which case you'd do the Mk2 series and challenge for overall honours surely??

What about if you wanted to run competitively, sharp end, top 5? Those cars have carbs / TBs, fully worked heads, high comp, cams, weld in cages etc?

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2009, 22:56 »
No....you can compete for winning races with standard intake, cams etc etc with a £6k car build, if you pull on a bit of VW tuning common sense.

Offline Chris Eyre

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2009, 11:58 »
No....you can compete for winning races with standard intake, cams etc etc with a £6k car build, if you pull on a bit of VW tuning common sense.

Are you sure Ian? Your brother's old Scirocco was much quicker than your £6k Golf championship car at the Donington trackday, Nov 2007. Ex-VW Cup cars are allowed in this new series, and we know they are far faster by definition.

Could a Scirocco for this new series, in race-winning spec, really be built for £6k?

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2009, 22:27 »
A Mk2 Golf series car weighs 1025kg, a Scirocco will be much much lighter.

Oh and Robs old car would run heavier than it did in VW Cup.

Mk2 Golfs can run at a more modified state to remain on a level playing field, or that is the intention.

Low weight...low power.

Heavy weight...high power.

Low weight & Low Power = low cost...if you are on a budget you need to be looking at the lighter VAG cars.

Offline Chris Eyre

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 05 February 2009, 23:54 »
So what if we take a Scirocco with a 16-valve breathed lump in it - cams, head, carbs, high comp - running a manageable but conservative 200 bhp?

To actually make that car power-to-weight equivalent with a Golf championship car (say 160 brake, 156 per tonne), the Scirocco would need to weigh a heavily ballasted ~1280kgs.

Unrealistic, so alternatively, let's up the power on the Golf Championship car from 160 brake to say 180 = 176 per tonne. Still on k-jet, some headwork, but moderate, done to a budget, but enough (you say) to win races. Perhaps a £6k budget, since you advertised your MK2 Championship car at £5.5k?

The Scirocco would need to weigh 1135kgs to have power-to-weight equivalence.

We're talking about the amounts of lead that causes MSA scrutineers to halt proceedings... especially as I'd guess your brother's Scirocco starts off, with driver (no ballast), in the low 800 kgs range.

That's 300+ kgs of lead.

I ask, how can these cars ever run on a level playing field?

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2009, 22:41 »
Robs old VW Cup car unrestricted made a maximum of 192bhp un-restricted.  My standard Mk2 Golf GTI Championship car made 170bhp on the same rollers....only 22bhp less, but the weight for a std 16v class car is lighter than an 8v fully modified car so will compete on a level playing field....which is the good thing about the series, budget racers can compete in seriously quick cars for very little money if they understand VW Tuning.

Have you read the regulations?

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2009, 22:48 »
Sorry I missed the pont about the 16v modified rocco.....it has been written out by stating that there is a maximum amount of ballast to be carried...60kg in each passenger footwell IIRC....so it will either never happen or the car will have to have full interior, either way it will still be on a level playing field.

This is the the kind of stuff we should be debating on forums Chris......not all that other rubbish.

Think of the brand above all...thats what is important, we should be working together as proper VW enthusiasts!!!!!!

Offline Ian Carvell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 14 February 2009, 23:31 »
Full interior might be nice though.....big amp and sub in the boot.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2009, 07:38 by Ian Carvell »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2009, 00:48 »
I got my wife a lovely handbag today.

Would you guys like to borrow it.  One at a time?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 16 February 2009, 00:49 »
choudl some one point us to the new regs then. 

i'm getti ng inpression choudl rock up with a mk1 or two with a modifyed 16s engine in it.      that just blew the low budget out the window.   
all the VW's have gone bar 1.