Author Topic: Stock clutch with a stage 1 remap?  (Read 4961 times)

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
Stock clutch with a stage 1 remap?
« on: 02 April 2015, 18:08 »
Hi guys,

Im looking at getting my Mk6 2011 GTI remapped by Carbon up near Manchester,

I've heard some remapped mk6 gti's can have clutch slippage after they've been remapped, mainly stage 2's but occasionally a stage 1. Mostly in 5th 6th gear etc when motorwaying.

I have a little niggle with my clutch as it is, sometimes when it's cold and i initially role off in 1st, it makes what i can describe best as an owl hooting sort of sound, like a squeal, like dry metal rubbing against each-other... (hope you can get what im saying...  :grin:), but then after i guess its warmed up it ceases to make the sound.

Anyway, thats the only thing putting me off getting it done at the moment, im planning to keep the car for a few years and those of you that have seen my previous posts will know i went from a gtd to a gti and have done a few mods already to it.

Any opinions etc on it would be great as im on the edge!!

Also the car is still under warranty (dont know if that helps).

Cheers.
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
Re: Stock clutch with a stage 1 remap?
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2015, 19:01 »
All really depends on its previous life. Most MK6 clutches will be fine at stage 1 (mine running Revo stage 1 @ 274bhp + 311 lbft).

Mk6 clutches at stage 1 only start slipping if you drive like a div, like trying to floor it in low revs in 5th and 6th.

If you are in the correct gear and accelerate you should be fine. Stage 2 can be very different, so much low / mid range torque can be a bit harsh on the stock clutch and may need an upgrade.

If you are DSG stage 2 can often be though
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2015, 19:54 »
Hi guys,

I've heard some remapped mk6 gti's can have clutch slippage after they've been remapped, mainly stage 2's but occasionally a stage 1. Mostly in 5th 6th gear etc when motorwaying.

I have a little niggle with my clutch as it is, sometimes when it's cold and i initially role off in 1st, it makes what i can describe best as an owl hooting sort of sound, like a squeal, like dry metal rubbing against each-other... (hope you can get what im saying...  :grin:), but then after i guess its warmed up it ceases to make the sound.

Anyway, thats the only thing putting me off getting it done at the moment, im planning to keep the car for a few years and those of you that have seen my previous posts will know i went from a gtd to a gti and have done a few mods already to it.

Cheers.

Yabot, it sounds like you gave "clutch whoop" which I also suffered with on my mark 6. I had it all replaced under warranty and it solved the noise. Apparently it's the springs in the clutch plate that stretch and then make that noise, so I was told, but normally under strain.

Rocket Ross has many mods on his, so if he didn't experience any issues I think you are ok to proceed.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2015, 20:41 »
Oh yeah sorry, totally forgot to mention its a manual!! I heard the Dsg boxes are somewhat 'tougher'. If i take it to the dealer will they know what im on about if i mention 'whoop' noise? Does it hinder longevity or anything?

Cheers
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2015, 22:29 »
Hi guys,

Cheers.

Yabot, it sounds like you gave "clutch whoop" which I also suffered with on my mark 6. I had it all replaced under warranty and it solved the noise. Apparently it's the springs in the clutch plate that stretch and then make that noise, so I was told, but normally under strain.

Rocket Ross has many mods on his, so if he didn't experience any issues I think you are ok to proceed.

Sorry, did rocket ross also have the same issue as i did?

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2015, 15:46 »
i am also looking at getting mine mapped. they do a custom map in Manchester? i was looking at apr. really unsure what to go for as like yourself i dont wanna clutch or something going... :undecided:
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2015, 19:09 »
You'll find the Carbon map is smooth and progressive so unless its been abused your clutch should be fine :smiley:

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2015, 19:51 »
You'll find the Carbon map is smooth and progressive so unless its been abused your clutch should be fine :smiley:

how much price for that one? Apr look local but plenty more digging to do! :shocked:
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2015, 20:00 »

how much price for that one? Apr look local but plenty more digging to do! :shocked:

Drop Nick @ Carbon an email for a price  :smiley:

nick@carbonst.com

:smiley:

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2015, 10:41 »

Sorry, did rocket ross also have the same issue as i did?

No mine has been fine on Revo Stage 1 map for around 18 months now @ 61,000 miles
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)