Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529849 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #2130 on: 13 June 2020, 16:19 »
I'd wondered in the past about snowfoaming first, maybe I'll give it a go next time.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2131 on: 13 June 2020, 19:09 »
I don’t do a pre-rinse before snowfoaming. I snowfoam first and then go round with a soft detailing brush to clean the fiddly bits on the car (grilles, door shuts, around fuel filler flap, exhaust tips, around the wheel bolt covers, the recessed parts of the wheels, brake callipers etc.) while the snow foam is doing its thing.

By the time I’ve finished those fiddly bits, the snow foam is well on the way to sliding off the paintwork. I‘ve usually got enough snow foam mix in the lance bottle to give it a second snowfoaming and leave it to dwell again while I fill my buckets and get my wash mitts and drying towels ready. Rinse off the snow foam and I’m ready to go, and pretty much all dirt is off the car before I start my usual three bucket wash.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2132 on: 14 June 2020, 08:31 »
I had seen it discussed on other Forums, and thought that it was worth a try, on the basis of "what could possibly go wrong"?

I just left it to dwell, but SR's method above seems to make perfect sense, so I'll give that a try next time.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2133 on: 14 June 2020, 13:59 »
Each to their own, but I always rinse first based on the thought that anything that softens the crud has to be good news - just a thought, as I said, each to their own.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2134 on: 14 June 2020, 17:06 »
Each to their own, but I always rinse first based on the thought that anything that softens the crud has to be good news - just a thought, as I said, each to their own.

My thought too but on the other hand the snowfoam might hold on and soak in better on a dry car? Perhaps a chicken and egg situation. I'll try it and see what I prefer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2135 on: 14 June 2020, 19:04 »

My thought too but on the other hand the snowfoam might hold on and soak in better on a dry car? Perhaps a chicken and egg situation. I'll try it and see what I prefer.

That was my thinking on snowfoaming a dry car - better cling-ability (is that a word? :grin:). Also, as I usually double snow foam, any dirt should get softened pretty well the second time around if it hasn’t the first time.

During the winter months, I have occasionally done a pre-rinse before applying snow foam if my car is caked in dirt, but it’s the exception rather than the norm, as it’s very rarely caked in dirt.

IMO of the two methods - pre-rinse or no pre-rinse - there’s no right or wrong method. It’s what works best for you ;smiley:.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2136 on: 16 December 2020, 16:54 »
Thought I’d pop into the Detailing section of the forum and brush off the cobwebs as there’s been no activity over here on the Detailing forum board since 22 September. Maybe it’s in lockdown? :whistle:

Gave my car a pre-winter clean and wax (Collinite 845 Insulator Wax) over the last couple of days. Oh, and ditched the Bridgestones and diamond cut Brescias and got my new wheels and tyres (Michelin PS4) fitted today. Wheels are RC Design RC32 in Ferric Grey Matt powdercoat finish; 7.5J x 18” ET51.

The car’s not quite as clean as it was yesterday as the roads were wet this morning on the way to get the wheels and tyres fitted. Hopefully it’s still clean enough to post a picture in the ‘what detailing have you done’ discussion thread :smiley:.

« Last Edit: 16 December 2020, 19:19 by SRGTD »
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #2137 on: 16 December 2020, 18:14 »
Thought I would follow your example SR, but nowhere in your league SR.
Gave the car a power wash pre-rise as it was filthy from a return trip to London and then snow-foam wash. Still not hugely convinced about the benefits of the snow foam, but probably as close as we will get to a white xmas :grin:
Unfortunately had to give next door's car a quick was down as it benefited from some of my foam! :lipsrsealed:
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2138 on: 16 December 2020, 19:18 »
Thought I would follow your example SR, but nowhere in your league SR.
Gave the car a power wash pre-rise as it was filthy from a return trip to London and then snow-foam wash. Still not hugely convinced about the benefits of the snow foam, but probably as close as we will get to a white xmas :grin:
Unfortunately had to give next door's car a quick was down as it benefited from some of my foam! :lipsrsealed:

Ha, ha. Perhaps I’ve started something.

I don’t use snow foam every time, as I don’t usually let my car get excessively dirty. If it does have dirt clinging to it, then I’ll get the snow foam out.

For me, I find the snow foam works best if it’s not too thick, so it runs off the car better - hopefully taking the dirt with it. I snowfoam on a dry car, then go around the car with a soft detailing brush and shampoo solution cleaning the fiddly bits while the snow foam’s doing its thing - fiddly bits are the wheel barrels, brake calipers, door shuts, inside fuel filler flap, honeycomb grilles, exhaust tailpipes etc. - by the time I’ve finished the fiddly bits, most of the snow foam will have run off the car. I give it a second snow foaming if I’ve got any solution left in the lance bottle, get my cleaning stuff ready, rinse off ant snow foam that’s left on the car and I’m ready to start the ‘safe’ wash.

I usually end up giving the neighbours garage door a quick snow foaming if the wind’s blowing from the wrong direction. I’ve avoided their car so far! :grin:
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2139 on: 16 December 2020, 20:22 »
Looking great SR, the new wheels really suit it!

Confession time from me, for a variety of reasons, my car hasn't been washed since early September :embarrassed:. I've cleaned it inside a few times but that's all.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.