Author Topic: Steel wheels for track use...  (Read 4743 times)

Offline c8dhc

• Here all the time
Re: Steel wheels for track use...
« Reply #10 on: 08 February 2008, 17:54 »
I run 195/50/15

They are often one of the cheaper sizes too
Trackday Mk2 GTi 16v

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #11 on: 10 February 2008, 00:03 »
Why not pick up some 'unpopular' wheels for track use, like Sebrings, or Estorils.  I got a set of 5 good Sebrings for under £100.  Just cos no one likes them doesn't mean they're no good, or that they won't do the job just fine - it IS about functionality on track, not aesthetics.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #12 on: 10 February 2008, 10:23 »
sebrings are very heavy! you have to spend a fair bit on alloys for them to be lighter than steels, the only problem is not many steel wheels come in 7" wide

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2008, 23:17 »
Okies...want to get hold of some 15" steel wheels for my mk2 golf for track action...what size tyres have people gone for? I've got 195 55 15 or 205 55 15 in my head but dont know what width is best or what tire wall size I should go for...

current alloys have 185 65 14's on but i cant remember if the extra wheel size would equate to a xxx 55 xxtyre or a xxx 60 xx tyre?

Many thanks!

This seems like a bit of a skint option out of getting some lighter alloys? or is it just me?

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2008, 01:06 »
quite possibly

but as light wheels are expensive and our matey is goin to (we all do) have some off track excursions then Steelies are a good compromise , best of all steelies can be whacked back into shape in an emergency. Up until recently formula fords still used steel wheels

the lightness issue only really applys to specific lightweight wheels , there isnt a great difference in posers wheels compaired to steels

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 March 2008, 17:36 »
think of inertia too...

braking with a massive weight spinning...

stress on the whole drive mech with a heavier wheel

accelaration!!!
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #16 on: 05 March 2008, 18:43 »
exactly , lighter/heavy wheels certainly effect that and the Sprung weight of the object moving up and down

Andy Jeffries

« Reply #17 on: 06 March 2008, 13:05 »
Okies...want to get hold of some 15" steel wheels for my mk2 golf for track action...what size tyres have people gone for? I've got 195 55 15 or 205 55 15 in my head but dont know what width is best or what tire wall size I should go for...

current alloys have 185 65 14's on but i cant remember if the extra wheel size would equate to a xxx 55 xxtyre or a xxx 60 xx tyre?

Many thanks!

This seems like a bit of a skint option out of getting some lighter alloys? or is it just me?

I was trying to be a bit tight to be honest!

I ended up getting some estorials (think thats the spelling!) with some random tyres for £113 and I actually like the look of them!!