Author Topic: The DVLA Information Thread  (Read 131974 times)

Offline violentportrait

• Not said much yet
Re: The DVLA Information Thread
« Reply #20 on: 04 November 2009, 18:20 »
Hi, not sure if this is the right section, but ...

I bought mk2 gti 4 weeks ago now, i was given the new keepers supplement but never saw the original V5 or i didnt sign anything either (it totally slipped my mind) i know i have to wait 6 weeks before i call to report if i havent recieved the new logbook but not sure if the person i bought it off even owned the car on paper (he sells alot of vw's on ebay)

anyway, i done a vehicle check online and it said the last registered keeper was in 2007 and the guy i bought it off only had it a few months, also, i typed in the VIN number that i found on the MOT certificates and it came back saying the number i typed in doesnt match the one on the database for my car. 

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks

Offline robiwill

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 15 December 2009, 00:28 »
type in the doc reference number which is on the green slip to check the mot's also if you never filled aout the V5 and just got the green slip. You can get a form to apply for a log book with just the green slip and this is free.  I would imagine he didnt have a full v5 and just gave you the green slip bit naughty not to tell you though

Offline Dolly

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 20 December 2009, 22:20 »
i need to imform dvla of an engine change in a car, wont effect the tax group ect though. im guessing its going to cost me  :sad: . also the engine was sat on a crate in my garage for 3 years so i have no reg/chasis of the car it came from. Is this a problem? do i just need to find some identification on the block?

dont want to phone dvla and open a tin of worms without being prepared.

Offline jon121

• Just got here
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2009, 17:48 »
cheers for the info, very helpful!

Offline Mk2Kezza

• Here all the time
« Reply #24 on: 29 December 2009, 19:45 »
Just thought i'd jump on the bandwagon here to get some info.

I've just bought a 1965 VW splitty and I want to get hold of a personalised suffix plate. I spoke to the DVLA and they said that they would search the database and let me know when it goes to auction.

Surely they can just tap in the plate and either:

A - computer says no

or

B - computer says yes.

Seems like a sh!t system as he said I could be waiting up to 6 months and then get told that the plate is unavailable. Any idea if I could at least fins out if the plate is available?
<br />Almost finished.....

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 30 December 2009, 15:21 »
Just thought i'd jump on the bandwagon here to get some info.

I've just bought a 1965 VW splitty and I want to get hold of a personalised suffix plate. I spoke to the DVLA and they said that they would search the database and let me know when it goes to auction.

Surely they can just tap in the plate and either:

A - computer says no

or

B - computer says yes.

Seems like a sh!t system as he said I could be waiting up to 6 months and then get told that the plate is unavailable. Any idea if I could at least fins out if the plate is available?

I havent got a clue how the personal plate system works.. my missus is home in an hr and ill ask her and see if she can find out ...cheers
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline Mike_MK4

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 14 January 2010, 16:09 »
This may be something really simple and i'm worrying for nothing but, I've just bought a mint condition 3dr mk4 from a friend as he couldnt afford to run it and so its been off the road SORN for 1 year.

When it came to the paperwork, he'd lost the log book but managed to keep the new keeper suppliment but that had been stamped by the DVLA when he got a new numberplate and so, after a trip to the DVLA offices near me, they said the only way i could tax it is to fill in a form and order a new log book then wait.

I phoned the DVLA on monday and they said they were doing security checks on the car and if it passes, I could expect the log book in 2 weeks time...

I ordered this just before christmas but the questions I'm asking is, what are these security checks and, as the previous owner, who is a mate but doesnt live at the previous address he registered the car to any longer....if they dont hear back from the previous owner at all, will that mean I will never be able to get the log book through??

Cheers

mike

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
« Reply #27 on: 14 January 2010, 16:12 »
Mike when i had to get a new registration doc when i got my new plate for my golf i didnt get it back for nearly 2 months! so i wouldnt worry too much.

Offline bored_Welsh_lad

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 18 January 2010, 17:44 »
This may be something really simple and i'm worrying for nothing but, I've just bought a mint condition 3dr mk4 from a friend as he couldnt afford to run it and so its been off the road SORN for 1 year.

When it came to the paperwork, he'd lost the log book but managed to keep the new keeper suppliment but that had been stamped by the DVLA when he got a new numberplate and so, after a trip to the DVLA offices near me, they said the only way i could tax it is to fill in a form and order a new log book then wait.

I phoned the DVLA on monday and they said they were doing security checks on the car and if it passes, I could expect the log book in 2 weeks time...

I ordered this just before christmas but the questions I'm asking is, what are these security checks and, as the previous owner, who is a mate but doesnt live at the previous address he registered the car to any longer....if they dont hear back from the previous owner at all, will that mean I will never be able to get the log book through??

Cheers

mike

The security checks basically involve the DVLA writing to the previous owner to let them know they have had a request for application of logbook and that if they haven't sold it, then contact the DVLA to take it further.. the DVLA give 14 days for the previous owner to reply so with post your talking 18-21days.

If the previous keeper doesn't reply then they new logbook is populated for the new keeper...
Mk3 Golf Gti:Full Milltek system and Decat,K&N filter,mk2 Cam,-1.5 degree camber shims, borbet a's, toyo proxies,hot tuning coils, brembo vented discs, greenstuff pads...Soon to have Eaton Power

mk3 16v 5dr Gti,mintex extreme pads,drilled/grooved discs,lowered,cat back powerflow system,omp panel filter with modified airbox,debadged grill, started prep for spraying, lots to come :D

Bumper Vents :D

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 03 March 2010, 18:34 »
I bought a golf gti 16V in Dec 2009, it came with no Mot and no tax, the previous owner told me it was sorn so i thought it was fine on my drive, when i got it mot'd in Feb and then went on to tax it online, it flashed up that the cars sorn expired on 01/01/2010 and that the car should have been taxed in Jan 2010, but they did not let me know that so how was i supposed to know that was the case????? :cry:

Any advice much appreciated, will i get a fine for this and in your opinion do u think i can challenge it successfully,in my opinion i am the innocent party on this occasion, i am happy to take the big boys in via court if need be.

Thanks