Author Topic: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website  (Read 17168 times)

Offline Chris.Air

• Not said much yet
Re: New MK7 GTI Spec on Top Gear Website
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2012, 21:49 »
You never know it might be lighter faster and 20% cheaper but will you buy one if looks sh!t????
Candy White,GTD xeons, f/r parking sensors, 18" charlestons n what Ever else a GTD comes with......

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2012, 21:53 »
You never know it might be lighter faster and 20% cheaper but will you buy one if looks sh!t????

you can bet your grandma that its 20% cheaper to build but the cost reduction wont be passed on to us mugs in england

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2012, 21:58 »

you can bet your grandma that its 20% cheaper to build but the cost reduction wont be passed on to us mugs in england
Agreed
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2012, 22:36 »

I still see MK5 R's going for silly money. and exactly the same could be said about the Mk6 R over the 5 R.

There is one additional factor to consider however.

The Mk5 R32 was arguably a "last of it's kind" in that it used the 3.2 V6. Aside from the glorious sound, the V6 also made the R32 quite a magical car - it was an engine that logically would never have found it's way into a hatchback but, when it did, it created something quite special.

Without causing offence to any R drivers, the R is essentially a re-bodied Audi S3. It's not really a unique car, and it's not really that special (in that it stands out within the VAG range). The R32 did, and that's why I expect it's residuals to be better than the R respectively.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2012, 22:43 »

I still see MK5 R's going for silly money. and exactly the same could be said about the Mk6 R over the 5 R.

The Mk5 R32 was arguably a "last of it's kind" in that it used the 3.2 V6. Aside from the glorious sound, the V6 also made the R32 quite a magical car - it was an engine that logically would never have found it's way into a hatchback but, when it did, it created something quite special.

Without causing offence to any R drivers, the R is essentially a re-bodied Audi S3. It's not really a unique car, and it's not really that special (in that it stands out within the VAG range). The R32 did, and that's why I expect it's residuals to be better than the R respectively.

I would say the opposite. The R32 will be more expensive to tax and run than the MK6 R and so I would expect the residual values of the R to be better than the R32. I do understand what you are saying about the R32, but for the average driver who wants a quick car and likes the Golfs, I think the R is much more appealing. Only time shall tell. (I don't have either - I don't even have a Golf yet)
« Last Edit: 02 February 2012, 22:45 by ScottA »

Jimmymature

« Reply #25 on: 02 February 2012, 22:47 »

Exactly the point I was just about to make, the R32 is still unique and IMO will become a classic.

Jim

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 02 February 2012, 23:22 »

The R32 did, and that's why I expect it's residuals to be better than the R respectively.

Different market I know, but here in Ireland quite a few R32's would have been sold in 2007 (when people still had lots of cash!). Today, you wouldn't give one away for free. Road tax is huge on them here and everyone wants diesels now. If a GTI and R32 of same year were here side by side, the GTI would sell quicker and for more money.

MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline jdjd

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 03 February 2012, 00:05 »
You could say an r32 is an Audi 3.2 quattro next arguement :rolleyes:

Offline JulesS3

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 03 February 2012, 09:29 »

The 3.2 audi A3 isnt billed as a sporty car, nor is it sold as one by audi. The R model Golf was.

The Golf R copied the S3
The Audi A3 copied the R32

Original will always be special

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 03 February 2012, 17:04 »

I was waiting for someone to say that, but although the cars share much of their underpinnings, in reality they are hugely different.