Author Topic: Advice on possible blown head  (Read 5141 times)

Offline Piece of Mind

• Just got here
Advice on possible blown head
« on: 17 April 2018, 12:08 »
I've got a 1991 1.6 and I think I've blown the head gasket. I had a small coolant leak which lead to frozen coolant during the recent cold snap and then a very hot engine... Couple that with a suddenly catastrophically leaking heater matrix and I suspect combustion gas in the coolant. Is there an easy way to check this beyond replacing the matrix and seeing if it violently expels the coolant though the reservoir during running?

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Advice on possible blown head
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2018, 13:02 »
I'm not familiar with that particular motor, but have come across similar problems on more than a few other types.
One of the cheapest and quickest ways to establish or isolate the cause is to disconnect the hoses leading to the matrix and join them together with a short piece of tubing. Refill the system and run the motor until the temp comes up to normal.

If you are seeing the same problem, the problem is more than likely the head gasket. You can remove the matrix and replace, as necessary, at your leisure once the main cause is removed.

See if that helps.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 April 2018, 16:31 »
I'm assuming that you managed to sort your problem...some sort of acknowledgement would have been nice!

Enjoy your car.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline Piece of Mind

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2018, 22:12 »
I'm assuming that you managed to sort your problem...some sort of acknowledgement would have been nice!

Enjoy your car.

Apologies, my hobby car time got eaten by unexpected jobs so I hadn't checked back. I have some time this weekend and so I will try your suggestion. A belated thanks for your help  :embarrassed:

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2018, 09:06 »
Glad to hear that...in the meantime, I'd be sourcing a new head gasket kit to suit the motor...I wouldn't race out and buy it just yet, just find out where you can get it quickly.

Once you have the motor running (with the heater isolated) if you spot any leaks, shut it down and investigate further.
Also...if the car has been standing for a few days, it might be a wise idea to pop the plugs out and then wind it over and observe what might come out of the plug holes...if coolant is ejected, the head needs to be removed. It will either be a blown head gasket...or a cracked head.

Fingers crossed for you.