Author Topic: Iron Tam - '96 mk3 8v  (Read 4860 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Iron Tam - '96 mk3 8v
« on: 22 August 2007, 13:34 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Iron Tam

• Not said much yet
Re: Iron Tam - '96 mk3 8v
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2007, 20:20 »
After much nagging from the wife to be, I got shot of the '80 1800cc 316 Beemer, which, though it had its faults [a few] was quite fun to drive. I was supposed to get a sensible car. Being helpful, she ringed a few in the local paper; Astra Estates etc. But then I saw this...

It's a 1996 Gti 8v, nearly immaculate. The owner had it from new, she was South African, bought it over there where it spent the first few years of its life before she emigrated to the UK with her Husband, and as you do, brought the car along too. The body is in excellent condition, mechanically sound [touching plenty of wood] having done 120,000 miles-ish. Had to do a quick conversion; all the instruments are in kilometers.

I was the first person to see it, so it wasn't long before I pressed a grand of used notes into his palm and drove it home.

However there are a few essential jobs that need doing. And of course a few tasteful improvements I'd like to make. I've listed them below colour coded to infer their importance!

Jobs to do

• Clutch:: Slipping a little, needs attention.
  • Suspension:: The rear shoks are weepy, have been eyeing up the Venom 60/40 set.
  • Good clean and polish:: I've bought the classy products, but I've been lazy. This Saturday.
  • Reinvigorate Black trim:: Looking a little faded. Need to buy some shoe polish for Saturday as well.
  • Small patch of Rust:: On near side rear door, not too bad, needs attention.
  • Drilled Airbox:: Seems a popular mod, will get round to it.
  • Cargo Netting:: Sick of listening to my tools roll around the boot.
  • Metal Mesh Grill:: Looks mean.
  • Lights:: Black Angel Halo Eyes, if I ever get the cash.

This list is by no means definitive. Of course it all depends on getting the ok from she who holds the purse strings.