Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 169208 times)

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #250 on: 18 June 2019, 12:17 »
Looks like camouflage to me, along with the black above the headlights and the camo around the rear lights.
I agree, blow up the images on a big screen and you can see the black tape at the top and bottom of the light units, and on the rear they have got tape the same colour as the body disguising the rear lights. It looks like the boot is covered in a one piece disguise wrap that goes to the rear 3/4 shoulder.

To me it just looks big. The appeal of a Golf to me is it's compact size & feel, and this looks inflated and bulbous in comparison to the 7.5. The lack of physical/haptic buttons is also a big turn off for me.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #252 on: 08 July 2019, 19:54 »
Interesting photos. You can clearly make out some features of the new car there. Hexagonal grill still seems to be there along with some front fins not unlike the Mk7.5, front splitter seems very typical of VW (maybe a bit more like the tcr) and the rear diffuser is there but very dull looking. The side sills seem far more pronounced too.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #253 on: 08 July 2019, 21:28 »
Looks more promising than the base model mules that have been snapped previously. Chassis proportions look much better.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #254 on: 09 July 2019, 09:30 »
Looks more promising than the base model mules that have been snapped previously. Chassis proportions look much better.

Base model MK 7 Golf are pretty uninspiring, its always the added bits and pieces of styling that beef it up to look like the performance car we seeking and did think the MK 8 GTI and R would look much better than the original shots of the MK 8 we were seeing

Having said that, did see a MK 8 GTI render and it did look very SEAT as in the present SEAT version.

Its not so much what it would look like that actually concerned me, as did think looks would be an evolution and maybe a sharper this, and a narrower that, but once had its bigger wheels and some styling performance add on would grow on us and look fine.

Its still the interior revolution that mostly concerned about, a step forward for some, and for others like me a leap too far with technology.

In terms of the drive, the MK 8 will likely get a 25-40 BHP lift in power but will likely drive much the same as the MK 7 - That might of not been the case if the hybrid solution was added as imagine on the R in particular that would have made for a lightning start, but seems they canned that tech for now on the performance models and it will be used on lower end more for economy

Happy getting the TCR now, think perfect timing, as can enjoy it and see how the MK 8 progresses and if like what I see jump in on later versions, or if not like what see, extend my MK 7 enjoyment

If I was coming to changeover at time MK 8 is up and running I would be seriously tempted to stay MK 7 and grab a clear the stock bargain. 
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #255 on: 09 July 2019, 09:51 »
Just wondered reading on various sites of the Mark 8 GTI and R variations are they dropping the 3 door version completely?

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #256 on: 09 July 2019, 09:56 »
Just wondered reading on various sites of the Mark 8 GTI and R variations are they dropping the 3 door version completely?

From what understand the 3 Door is done, you will not see them on Golfs anymore - stand to be corrected but thats my understanding
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Mr.Edge1974

• Not said much yet
« Reply #257 on: 09 July 2019, 09:59 »
would be sad them stop making the 3 door, with Ford focus RS ST etc I never see 3 door models at all especially over the last 5 - 6 years.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #258 on: 09 July 2019, 10:35 »
It’s cheaper for VW (and other car manufacturers) to streamline the model range and not have a 3 door version - removes the need to manufacture 3 door-specific components such as body panels and glass, interior trim panels, front (tilt and slide) seats etc.

There’s no longer a three door Polo (previous generation was available with 3 or 5 doors). Seat have dropped the three door Ibiza and Leon from its model range, Audi no longer build a 3 door Audi A3 and the new A1 is also 5 door only.

So it looks like three door models are history within VAG, other than perhaps city cars like the VW up! and Skoda Citigo. The Seat equivalent (the Mii) is now only available in 5 door form, so maybe even VAG city cars are moving to 5 door only versions.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #259 on: 10 July 2019, 10:21 »
New article by evo on the GTI:

https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/golf-gti/22866/new-2020-mk8-volkswagen-golf-gti-spied-for-the-first-time

Interesting, they say Volkswagen is also expected to keep hold of the six-speed manual transmission, although the dual-clutch automatic is expected to make up a majority of sales - good news for the manual lovers  :cool:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey