Author Topic: Nurburgring 24 hour race  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
Re: Nurburgring 24 hour race
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2008, 02:05 »
You saw how testing the silverstone 24 hour race was

imagine how difficult it would be to do it for 24 hours round the nurburgring (dont they run a 48 hour race)

a diesel is a good starting point aswell as LOTS of practice , its somethin id also dearly love to do

Offline BaxGTI

• GTI forum regular

Offline Mikester

• Forum addict
  • Civic Type R
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2008, 12:19 »
whats the 1.4 TFSI engine like???

Well its a 1.4 that says enough. lol

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2008, 16:55 »
I imagine unless you was seriously competent on a track they wouldn't even let you get past the qualifying stage. You'll prob need to budget for a huge amount of track day time before the event.

Good luck though, it would be an amazing acheivement!

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2008, 16:59 »
whats the 1.4 TFSI engine like???

Well its a 1.4 that says enough. lol

With both a supercharger and turbo charger  :wink:

Offline MK5 Golf GTI fan 1

• Not said much yet
  • The Golf GTI is got to be the best car ever!!!!
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2008, 16:20 »
I feel as though Im quite a conferdent person and when I go 16 i will be having lots of practise in my dad Citroen AX GT. Buying a preperd one sounds like a better idea. Won't finding a diesel car be hard though????? I've never seen a diesel race car for sale.
Nearist thing to being in a GTI is an Octavia vRS TDI

Offline Pike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 02 April 2008, 10:56 »
If your seriously thinking about doing this get hold of a copy of the regs and learn them inside out.
To make a 1400 diesel work over 24 hours you'll need one hell of a fuel tank to get any sort of advantage, however you are then penalising yourself with alot of weight to lug around with a tiny lump.

Rather than develop a car it migh be more economical to buy a previously enjoyed petrol one unless there is a customer diesel available. Keep an eye out in the back of the racing press and  on the internet to give you an idea of the cost, specs etc.

Because the 24hrs is an international race you'll need to have an international licsence and build your car to the FIA saftey regs rather than the MSA (UK) spec. There's not much difference but dont' get caught out.
You'll also need an international license. To gain one you'll need to do a couple of seasons in the UK. Something like the GTI Championship would be ideal to get you off the ground.

In my opinion the best thing you could do at the moment would be to apply for the MSA Go racing pack and work towards doing your ARDS. In the meantime spend as much time on track in your dad's AX as you can to get yourself ready for your test and take it from there.
Find someone local who is running a racing car of any kind and help them out as much as you can to get the experience you need setting up a car and running a car at a meeting.

Finally grab as much cash as you can. You'll need it. Get yourself a couple of jobs and save as much as you possibly can. You've set yourself a big target but if you're really serious about it and put in some serious money and effort there's no reason you can't do it in a few years.
All the best.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2008, 11:01 by Pike »

Golf GTI Championship #4
2008 VW1 3rd
2009 VW1 3rd

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2008, 21:41 »
i wouldnt do it on a rubbish diesel. too slow. Ok you make less pitstops, but while your out there you make so much more time in a petrol car. Either use a normal petrol banger, or get a decent diesel, which will b alot more.

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2008, 13:04 »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 05 May 2008, 15:06 »
You need a decently fast car anyway as for most races they go by class. If your car doesn't qualify in what they would consider a safe time for the class then you wouldn't be able to compete.
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG