Author Topic: MK7 Road Tests  (Read 9876 times)

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: MK7 Road Tests
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2012, 16:37 »
Autocar driven it in the UK now as well - http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf/first-drives/first-drive-review-volkswagen-golf-14tsi-act-140-5dr

As usual it's only the priciest model they test though  ::)

Good to hear it's smooth on the 17" tyres though on our crappy roads

That looks very nice IMO, I even like the two tone interior cos it seems to add a touch of luxury to it rather than looking sporty, I'm yet to be sold on the piano black dash though, it'll attract a lot of dust and finger prints! The surround on the head unit in mine annoys me enough! :-\
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2012, 16:50 »
7GTI PP DSG - no longer

Offline Mitchell

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 28 November 2012, 10:07 »
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/golf/61510/volkswagen-golf-mk7

Good review from Autoexpress  :smiley:

Good to see another 5 star review! Nice quote from it - "So, are there any chinks in the VW’s armour? Well, not really."

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #13 on: 07 December 2012, 23:18 »
Touche! :grin: I maintain the your GT looks better than the mk7 in comparison to the respective base model.
I'm ordering a SE with the 1.4 120bhp. drove this in a mark six it's nippy enough for me but the big plus is the better fuel over the GTI. I'm a private driver and the cost of filling up the GTI is costing me 500 a month which is ridicules.
I will put a set of BBS on the SE, panoramic sunroof tinted glass from the middle pillar xeon lights with the cornering fog lights and white paint. For a 3 door that comes in at just over 21,000 with my choice of white paint.
At first I did not like the SE dashboard as the centre consul is covered in aluminium which goes right along to the speedo and rev-counter. However on the two tone dash it looks really smart For me adding the extras keeps the price down over the GT which only has marginal advantage on performance.
have you had an extended drive in one to test this?
The reason I say this is we had an A1 with the 120 1.4 in and on my commute route I was getting worse than the GTI and it did not do great for the rest of the time. So we have started to look at the tdi instead. It's why I rules that engine out. Maybe it was.just a.poor example one though.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2012, 23:23 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 08 December 2012, 11:18 »
My brother had the 1.4tsi 160bhp in his Scirocco which was costing him a fortune on the daily commute, he rarely got over 38mpg on the motorway  :o  thats why i don't really buy into the small economical petrol units especially in larger cars, little runarounds yes.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline I.D.C.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 08 December 2012, 13:26 »
Hi Snoopy also had one on hire from Avis and drove up and down to Dundee from Glasgow. It had over 9,000 on the clock and was way better than my GTI.
Will still miss the GTI have to say. Still I get home on the 12th Dec so on Saturday while the wife goes Christmas shopping I’m driving up to the Loch Fyne Whisky Shop in Inveraray. From there driving to Colintraive for the ferry over to Isle Of Bute. The run is full of twisty roads and magnificent scenery  :laugh:

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2012, 08:58 »
My dad has managed 52mpg in his skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI (122). So its quite possible to get good mpg from that unit and thats with less than 3000 miles on the clock.  He loves it. I have driven it too and its a reasonable ride too. Brand new for 14K in Elegance Spec what else do you want.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.