Author Topic: musing.......  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
musing.......
« on: 29 January 2020, 13:20 »
Just a bit of rambling after a couple of business trips so far this week.

I've had the "privilege" this week so far of being provided with 2 pool cars from our company fleet for site visit trips with my job. Also had a lift last night in my brothers 2016 Nissan Qashqai. One thing that all 3 cars had in common was that they all had rear view reversing cameras (like my GTI). That's where the comparison ends though. I can't understand how the cameras from other brands can be so crap in comparison to the one in the Golf ?

The two company cars were a 19 plate Mercedes C220D and a BMW 320D (again a 19 plate). The resolution from the rear screen was terrible and with them being exposed all the time (rather than retracting like the VW one does), need a good clean after nearly every journey. The one in my brothers Qashqai if possible is even worse. Very low resolution and like the Merc and BMW extremely grainy when used at night or in low level conditions. The Golf one by comparison is very sharp and actually has superb acuity at night and makes reversing with no street lights a doddle.

I'd just assumed that in 2020 all manufacturers had high quality rear cameras, but that doesn't seem the case and for once, VW actually lead the way (in my experience at least). 
« Last Edit: 29 January 2020, 19:00 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: musing.......
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2020, 14:01 »
That's odd. I had a C Class and it had a covered camera that popped out when you reversed. I found it to be very good quality.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2020, 14:08 »
The camera in my TCR is definitely better res than the one I specced on my 2013 GTI.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline WatchThis

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2020, 16:52 »
19 plate Tiguan was crap too...
I think the LED reversing lights on the GTI combined with the covered lens do make a huge difference.
Enjoying: Atlantic Blue 5 door GTI PP DSG Brescia's-Art Velours-Park-Camera-Voice-Excite-Airbags-Keyless-DCC-Traffic Jam-Climate Windscreen-Dynamic lights-Rear tints

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2020, 18:23 »
19 plate Tiguan was crap too...
I think the LED reversing lights on the GTI combined with the covered lens do make a huge difference.
something must have been wrong with your camera then as it's the same one used across most of the VW range. I believe the golf and Tiguan use exactly the same camera.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2020, 18:41 »
I thought the mercs come out the badge too, I did in the rental I had, and a few of my customers have 360, but I don’t think it’s down to camera, I’d say it’s screen as you couldn’t watch videos in the rental,

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2020, 19:08 »
I thought the mercs come out the badge too, I did in the rental I had, and a few of my customers have 360, but I don’t think it’s down to camera, I’d say it’s screen as you couldn’t watch videos in the rental,

A lot of the Mercs have it hidden in the black plastic next to the number plate lights under a flap.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2020, 19:32 »
I find it ironic that my first Mk 7, a GTD, had no camera, and really crap lights, while my current GTI has really good lights and a camera. I remember a horrible experience, with the GTD, in a Dorset village with no street lights, trying to turn in a very narrow lane. Absolute doddle in this car!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Online Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2020, 19:54 »
My Octavia vRS had a rear camera same as my GTD does now. I put the better image quality from the Golf 's camera down to the Golf camera being hidden from the elements when not in use, and the higher resolution of the MIB3 over the MIB1. 
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2020, 20:31 »
I find it ironic that my first Mk 7, a GTD, had no camera, and really crap lights, while my current GTI has really good lights and a camera. I remember a horrible experience, with the GTD, in a Dorset village with no street lights, trying to turn in a very narrow lane. Absolute doddle in this car!

Not sure I’ve ever used the reverse lights to see where I’m reversing!  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport