Author Topic: 'Econ' Button  (Read 13144 times)

Offline faisalgti

• GTI forum regular
'Econ' Button
« on: 30 December 2007, 11:18 »
Can someone please explain what the 'Econ' button does on the heating system. Im sure i read differently from what someone told me it actually does and dont have my manual on me atm so any help would be great....thanks

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: 'Econ' Button
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2007, 11:24 »
i believe it disengages the clutch on the aircon compressor, so that it doesn't suck power from the engine, at the expense of losing some blow factor from the aircon.

Offline faisalgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2007, 12:47 »
i believe it disengages the clutch on the aircon compressor, so that it doesn't suck power from the engine, at the expense of losing some blow factor from the aircon.

I thought so too, but dosent this mean that the aircon is always on unless u press the econ button? Im abit daft with things like this but i thought it'd make sense for the button to be pressed if u want aircon to be on rather than the aircon to always be on unless u press this button to switch it off....or am i just chatting utter nonesense??!!

Lets just get summat straight....aircon is only to blow cold air right or is there something else i dont know??? God i hate sounding so dumb!!! :embarassed:

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 30 December 2007, 12:59 »
depends if yours is climate control or manual aircon

with manual you can just turn it off on the dials

with climate the aircon will come on when it needs to, but yes you can force it off by pressing the econ button or just keep pressing the lower fan speed button until the panel display shows its turned off

Offline faisalgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 30 December 2007, 15:46 »
depends if yours is climate control or manual aircon

with manual you can just turn it off on the dials

with climate the aircon will come on when it needs to, but yes you can force it off by pressing the econ button or just keep pressing the lower fan speed button until the panel display shows its turned off

Mines the climate control one, thanks for the explanation mate its helped a lot, i thought my uncle was talking nonesense when he said the aircon was on i was thinkin how the hell can it be on when ive got the heater on at 28 degrees

Offline arnoldlog1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 30 December 2007, 22:02 »
thats not strictly true you air con is on all the time it says auto, or you have defrosting windscreen on(without then pressing econ :wink:) because air con can cool air but also dehumidify, thats why its active even at high temps. if you press econ it regulates the heating/cooling without using the air humidifying and cooling.

so your uncles right!!!  sorry bout that

Offline faisalgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2007, 15:20 »
thats not strictly true you air con is on all the time it says auto, or you have defrosting windscreen on(without then pressing econ :wink:) because air con can cool air but also dehumidify, thats why its active even at high temps. if you press econ it regulates the heating/cooling without using the air humidifying and cooling.

so your uncles right!!!  sorry bout that

Aah right i get ya now, im so glad thats been cleared up its been really confusin me.

Just one last time now with the econ on its just doin the same but without the air humidifier being on too.....its actually quite good then if ive got it right